How to receive Communion

:slight_smile: I was thinking, maybe we could all discuss and share ways to receive the Eucharist or prepare for it. I don’t mean in the tongue, or in the hand, or anything like that… but what are good ways to prepare your heart? (apart from Confession)

I find that sometimes, when I receive Jesus, I’m more able to love Him than at other times. I’m not sure why that is though…

:slight_smile:

I’d say to be extremely repentant! And try to block out any crying babies or what have you. Just keep thinking about Jesus’s sacrifice for us.:smiley:

I often find that where I sit in church has a lot to do with how prepared I am. We like to sit near the front, to be able to hear and see better. But, if we sit too far front, I find that we are going up to communion before I am quite ready! :blush:

I would like to memorize one or two of the traditional prayers said before communion and after. I think having something ready to my mind would help on those days when I just cannot get my brain in gear!

I usually get pretty excited on the way to Mass, just knowing that I am to receive my Lord is an amazing idea. I usually just pray and pray that I might bring His good will to those I meet even though I am not worthy to receive Him.

thanks everyone :slight_smile: this is a topic I’ve been thinking about a lot. I think it really helps also to just really intend to love Him and to be united to Him in the Eucharist…

I tend to remember this from mass as I am walking up to receive:

“Lord I am not ready to receive you but, only say the words and I shall be healed.”

Additionally I thank Jesus for Suffering for me on the cross and providing his eternal sacrifice of the mass for us. I also thank him for inviting me to mass each week.

After I receive I say the Anima Christi:

“Soul of Christ, sanctify me
Body of Christ, save me
Blood of Christ, inebriate me
Water from Christ’s side, wash me
Passion of Christ, strengthen me
O good Jesus, hear me
Within Thy wounds hide me
Suffer me not to be separated from Thee
From the malicious enemy defend me
In the hour of my death call me
And bid me come unto Thee
That I may praise Thee with Thy saints
and with Thy angels
Forever and ever
Amen.”

– Cadian :knight1:

Among other things I do on the way to the altar, I ask Blessed Mary to please walk to the altar with me, and stand beside me as I receive Communion. That came straight from Padre Pio’s Words of Faith.

Dear Family, I usually try to prepare for Mass by saying some specail prayers on the way to Church. And I think of only Jesus, with a clear head. At the time of the Consecration and at the Transubstansiation, my eyes,mind, and heart are fixed on the Chalice and the Host. Once changed into The Body and Blood of Jesus Christ, I tell Him that I am not worthy, but say the word and I shall be healled. And I tell Jesus how much I love Him. I sit in the 1st or 2nd row, so I can recieve the Eucharist and quickly go back to my pew and have my head down for 5+min. You can never tell Jesus that you Love Him too much! And this is a good time. This is also a good time for listening to what Jesus might have to tell you. And remeber!!! At this 5 minutes to 1 hour after you recieve the Eucharist, It is your foretaste to Heaven!!!
I have read about this on the internet on The Eucharistic Miracles Index. Maybe some of us have experienced something during this precious time. I love The Eucharist.
Franny

I’m in a state of transition on this, for I’ve heard three ways to receive and am not sure which one to go with. St. Louis de Montfort recommended prayerfully admitting our sins to the Holy Trinity before receiving, and then praying “I am not worthy to receive; blessed Mother, please receive your Son into your arms for me. Beloved Son, please rush to the arms of your Mother in my soul.” He recommended praying this way before receiving the Sacrament, and I like it very much and pray this way often. However, it is a little hard for me because there are also the liturgical prayers and I want to pray them too, but I sometimes get distracted between the two and I know that isn’t good.

St. Francis de Sales recommended thanking God for the life, death and resurrection of the Lord before receiving. He also recommended prayerfully readying the heart the evening and morning before receiving, which I can’t describe for you in detail as I don’t practice it.

Another saint recommended maintaing utter silence in the soul before and after receiving the Eucharist for quite some time, and thanking God and asking Him to make your heart receptive to the Sacrifice (praying this both before and after the silence).

So the saints seem to have had different ways of prayerfully approaching the Holy Communion. I personally am trying to work out how to fit St. Louis de Montfort’s technique in with the regular liturgy, so that I’m doing both, but I’d also like to try the prayer of silence, so I’m a bit confused. I may try to pray St. Louis de Montfort’s prayers prior to arriving at the Mass and then praying the liturgy and the silence separately.

I’m still reading and pondering on this. It’s a valuable and important question, though.

I never really pondered about this… I am just getting to know now the Catholic Church in a more deeper sense…

You guys have given me such light on how to receive the Eucharist.

closed #11

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.