How to refute "Goingtojesus.com" tracts

I ran across this site and read a couple of the tracts and am having trouble with them. Who in particular are troubling. One about baptism and St. Paul supposedly regretting that he did water baptism and teaches against it. And one about communion and how ceremonies are no longer needed and the blood of Christ was already poured out so we don’t need communion. Could someone help me with these. I’ll post the links below. I’d like to know the Catholic response to these in case they ever get brought up to me by protestants.

goingtojesus.com/site/php/baptism.html

goingtojesus.com/topic_ceremony.html

Interesting group of people. They decided that the bibles in print today are not good enough, so they take it upon themselves to Re-translate the New Testement:eek:

I could not stay in that site and read any further without being upset. They are a confused lot to be sure.

Paul NEVER taught against Baptism

Romans 6:3-4: “Are you unaware that we who were baptized into Christ Jesus were baptized into his death? We were indeed buried with Him through baptism into death, so that, just as Christ was raised from the dead by the glory of the Father, we too might live in newness of life.”
Galatians 3:27: “For all of you who were baptized into Christ have clothed yourselves with Christ.”
I Cor. 12:13: "For by one Spirit we were all baptized into one body—Jews or Greeks, slaves or free—and all were made to drink of one Spirit (See also Mark 16:16, Acts 2:38, Acts 22:16 and Col. 2:11-13).

1 Cor 11: 23 For I received from the Lord what I also delivered to you, that the Lord Jesus on the night when he was betrayed took bread, 24 and when he had given thanks, he broke it, and said, “This is my body which is forc] you. Do this in remembrance of me.” 25 In the same way also the cup, after supper, saying, “This cup is the new covenant in my blood. Do this, as often as you drink it, in remembrance of me.” 26 For as often as you eat this bread and drink the cup, you proclaim the Lord’s death until he comes. 27 Whoever, therefore, eats the bread or drinks the cup of the Lord in an unworthy manner will be guilty of profaning the body and blood of the Lord. 28 Let a man examine himself, and so eat of the bread and drink of the cup. 29 For any one who eats and drinks without discerning the body eats and drinks judgment upon himself. 30 That is why many of you are weak and ill, and some have died."

As a suggestion stay away from such websites and tracts.

Paul said he was glad that he had not Baptized but a few of those in Corinth because they were dividing themselves as followers of Paul vs. Apollos vs. Cephas, vs. Christ. As provided already, Paul was not teaching against Baptism, he was teaching against division in the Body of Christ, which is the Church. Paul goes on to state that Baptizing is not HIS primary mission in the Church…but this in no way diminishes Christ’s command to baptize all nations in Mt 28:18-20.

10 Now I appeal to you, brothers and sisters,[d] by the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that all of you be in agreement and that there be no divisions among you, but that you be united in the same mind and the same purpose. 11 For it has been reported to me by Chloe’s people that there are quarrels among you, my brothers and sisters.[e] 12 What I mean is that each of you says, “I belong to Paul,” or “I belong to Apollos,” or “I belong to Cephas,” or “I belong to Christ.” 13 Has Christ been divided? Was Paul crucified for you? Or were you baptized in the name of Paul? 14 I thank God[f] that I baptized none of you except Crispus and Gaius, 15 so that no one can say that you were baptized in my name. 16 (I did baptize also the household of Stephanas; beyond that, I do not know whether I baptized anyone else.) 17 For Christ did not send me to baptize but to proclaim the gospel, and not with eloquent wisdom, so that the cross of Christ might not be emptied of its power. (1Cor 1:10-17)

And one about communion and how ceremonies are no longer needed and the blood of Christ was already poured out so we don’t need communion.

We all know that Christ died once for all, and Scripture is very clear on this. But Christ Willed to extend His once-for-all Sacrifice to US…over all time…for ALL. In the perpetuation and re-presentation of Christ’s once-for-all Sacrifice at the altar, the prophecy of Malachi 1:11 is fulfilled in the Catholic Church.

11 For from the rising of the sun to its setting my name is great among the nations, and in every place incense is offered to my name, and a pure offering; for my name is great among the nations, says the Lord of hosts (Mal 1:11)

Before you go reading such propaganda as what you put in your OP, first get a basic understanding of the Catholic teachings and then you will know how to refute such things. You cannot refute what you do not have a grasp for. Here are a few articles I’ve written which touch on these very topics you brought up:

7 Articles on Baptism and the historical Christian beliefs on Baptism:
daves-ahumbleservant.blogspot.com/search/label/Baptism

7 Articles revolving around the Eucharist/Mass (the first one here is in common with the set on Baptism…gives the “reformer’s” beliefs on these):
daves-ahumbleservant.blogspot.com/search/label/Eucharist

You can also find the same topics written about in great length by the professionals here at Catholics Answers. Click the “Library” link at the top of your screen and do a word search for Baptism and/or Communion/Eucharist and you will find more references in more formats than you could imagine. :slight_smile:

oh thank you so much

Regarding the Eucharist note that, insofar as I can tell, it is the ONLY way by which Christ said he was to be remembered. Now alot can be developed as to what this memory of Christ is - since one has to “remember” Christ just to get up to go to Mass. But my immediate points:

1. Those who reject or rarely do the Lord’s Supper, replacing it with a rock concert-type service or whatever, are not remembering Christ as He said. It goes back to that old saying, “you worship God in your way and the Holy Catholic Church will worship God in His way.”

2. One can never go or be wrong in attending the Eucharist/Mass.

I also note that that site specifically rejects the Trinity doctrine, they say so at the very bottom of their tract here: goingtojesus.com/site/php/fatherandson.html

“Both the doctrine of a “Trinity” and the doctrine of “Jesus only” are wrong. There are in heaven two persons worthy to receive worship: The Father and the Son.”

These people, whoever they are, are heretics and should be marked as enemies of God and His Holy Church.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.