How to remove negative energies at home

Hello All,

I am a non catholic by religion but do believe in Christianity as my mother follows it. Recently I have felt a very negative energy at my place (rented) though i have been staying here for almost 1 year 2 months now. I have been advised to bless the house with holy water.

Need some help here with experienced people if I can do it myself with prayers and which all places in the house do I have to bless it .

look forward for your answers please.

thanks.

1 Like

Has anything changed at the house? ie, have people started doing things there, or bringing things in, that haven’t been done/brought previously? Or is it just you, and you’re still doing the same stuff?

In other words, look at what’s going on. Just like you can mop your floor and have a clean kitchen floor, the moment you track mud in again, your floor will be dirty. So you can bless your house, and that’s good, but if you invite bad stuff in, you’ll be right where you were before.

A priest blessing is always the strongest. The traditional thank-you gift is to invite him to stay for lunch or dinner afterwards.

If you’re not comfortable approaching a priest, Catholic churches usually have a holy water dispenser where people can help themselves to holy water for free. Put it into a clean container, and then dispose of the container with respect by burying it, if you’re not going to keep it.

When I bless my house with holy water, I like blessing the door frames, and asking for God to bless and protect those who enter my house. I do the exterior doors, but also the doors to each room. And then I might say a series of Glory Be’s or something like that.

When I bless my house with blessed salt, I generally sprinkle it at the threshold of each door, and also the corners of the property line, in addition to my prayers and request for God’s blessing and protection.

3 Likes

Ask your priest to come over and bless your apartment/flat/house.

3 Likes

You can try the do-it-yourself method of sprinkling holy water and asking God to bless and protect your home, but a warning: If you don’t have a close, continuing relationship with Jesus, evil spirits may return and they will be worse than before.

1 Like

It’s best to ask a priest to come and bless your home.
Use of holy water and prayers is good too, but call in a priest first, and ask his advice on how to make use of holy water and prayer.

3 Likes

What is negative energy in the house?
Aside from what it may take place when people are in a bad mood and such.
I do not know.
Deep cleaning, repairing what needs to be repaired, a tin of paint and a brush ,scent perhaps, and stuff like that to make our house agreable.
Sometimes it is the colours or how we display furniture that makes it difficult to move around or too dark or whatever and it makes us uncomfortable
I do not know aside from that what good and negative energy, if it is energy …may mean,
I am honestly asking because I haven t experienced anything aside from that.
So I really do not understand what the OP is asking.
A blessing is always welcome anyway

1 Like

Get some salt and have it blessed by a priest. Put the salt in small ziplock bags, about a table spoon each. Make sure they are sealed so moisture cannot get in them. The best places to put them is under the sinks in your kitchen and bathrooms. Also, put two or three in the circuit breaker box. If you don’t know the exact location of the negative energy this will help raise the surrounding area. It would also, be good to put them in the corners of rooms.
If you want to know the exact location of the source of the negative energy you would have to find someone who is expert at dousing.

Sometimes when bad stuff happens in a place, bad stuff is left behind.

For example-- the house I live in now, used to be lived in by a guy who would abuse foster kids. It also has the local reputation for being haunted. I’ve had local utility workers talk about their friends who lived here growing up, who would have the furniture rearranged, or they’d make a sandwich and someone would eat it-- but no one else would be home.

We had our house blessed by a priest-- not because we were worried about something eating our sandwiches or messing with our furniture, but because it’s how I was raised. :slight_smile: You live somewhere, you bless it. (And yes, odd stuff has happened here. I don’t remember if it was pre-blessing or post-blessing, though. But it’s been very quiet for the last five years.)

You never know who’s done what where, or who’s left behind what.

I’m also a landlady. Last year, I had rented one house to a group of H-2B workers. They came back again this year and rented a different place, one where I used to live.

One of their questions was, “Is this house haunted?”

I’d had a series of bad tenants. And I’m like, “The scariest thing here is the people who live here-- so if you’re good, the house is good!”

And later on I thought-- um, what a weird question. So I asked their translator, “Why did they ask me if the house was haunted?”

And she explained how in the previous house they’d rented from me, they would hear things, like someone bouncing a ball, and glasses would spontaneously break, and stuff like that. But they said that the new house they were living in felt like good energy.

I don’t know the difference myself— for me, it’s full of good memories— and I’m surprised that none of the people who have lived there since have managed to bring in bad stuff. :slight_smile: But hopefully whatever bad stuff they brought with them goes with them when they leave, and the default setting is love and peace, from the blessings and the prayers it was steeped in in the past. :blue_heart:

Houses are interesting things. They sometimes have a feel to them, in the same way other things have a smell— and if someone picks up on a feeling, I’m not about to second-guess them. :wink:

Hello Midori,

Thanks for your reply. I live here with my family and its not only me who has this feeling of being watched . I just happened to sprinkle holy water yesterday night by myself with a prayer but it did not work out well. Im definetly comfartable to approach a priest as i always thought that there are positive and negative entities and thought of doing something myself first.

Did try a lot of different things such a keeping salts in all the corners , got plants which are good for creating positive environment and so on…

1 Like

Does the salt need to be blessed by a priest? I tried keeping in containers but open in all corners which didnt work out well though.

Hi Graciew,

Aside from what it may take place when people are in a bad mood and such. (This happens sometimes but does it attract negative energy?)

Deep cleaning done on daily basis, repair/paint on building maintenance agreement on regular basis. on the colours we have a little bit of red sofas, and a red show piece rack which is only dark coloured.wall colour is off white.

That’s not a Catholic practice.

2 Likes

Tried it. But is there a specific way of sprinkling it and a specific prayer for blessing.I had got the holy water through a friend in a small bottle.

Discord isn’t a nice thing at all.if and when it happens,I find praying to theHolySpirit very good.
I believe it is a very good thing to have a priest come and bless each new dwelling we take up residence in.All the best.

Its a little surprising to share here . Probability of lot of people not believing it. There is a feeling of strong presence, footsteps and shadows not only to me but wife as well.

So its pretty disturbing. Dont know whether i can recite it a black magic or someone who wants to send a message or trouble. Im totally confused at the moment.

Usually we rule out the natural causes first,birds, rodents ,people ,trees making noises etc.
As Catholics ,when you have strong faith those things you mentioned of the supernatural kind don’t harm ,God protects and you put it out of your thoughts.There is a sense of peace reciting prayers to theHoly Spirit and to St Michael the Archangel:)

Here are some Catholic prayers you can use whenever you want, whether blessing your home or wanting to deepen your relationship with God.

Our Father who art in heaven, hallowed be thy name, thy Kingdom come, thy will be done, on earth as it is in heaven. Give us this day our daily bread, and forgive us our trespasses, as we forgive those who trespass against us, and lead us not into temptation but deliver us from evil, Amen.

To ask for Jesus’s mother Mary to pray for us:

Hail Mary full of grace, the Lord is with thee. Blessed art thou among women, and blessed is the fruit of thy womb, Jesus. Holy Mary, Mother of God, pray for us sinners now, and at the hour of our death, Amen.

For protection against evil:
Holy Michael Archangel, defend us in this day of battle, be our protection against the wickedness and snares of the devil. May God rebuke him we humbly pray; and do thou, Prince of the Heavenly Host, by the power of God, thrust into hell Satan, and all evil spirits who prowl about the world, seeking the ruin of souls. Amen

As making the sign of the cross:
Glory be to the Father and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit, as it was in the beginning is now, and ever shall be. Amen.

For your home to remain peaceful it would be wise to avoid serious sin and encourage everyone in the household to actively love and care for one another. Each day reflect and ask forgiveness from God and for those around you when you struggle and fall. We can always return to God. God and love (God is love) is always more powerful than evil.

2 Likes

Yes, there’s a special kind of salt called exorcised salt. You take a can or two of regular salt to the priest when he’s not in a time crunch, and ask him to bless it. The prayer I have in my 1962 Missal goes–

I exorcize thee, created element of salt, by the living + God, by the true + God, by the holy + God, by God who by the hand of Eliseus the prophet mingled thee with water in order that the barrenness thereof might be healed; that thou mayest be made salt from which the evil spirit hath been cast forth for the health of the faithful, and mayest bring to all who partake of thee health of soul and body; and that there may be banished from the place in which thou shalt be sprinkled, every kind of hallucination and wickedness, or craft of devilish deceit, and every unclean spirit, in the name of Him Who will come to judge the living and the dead and the world by fire. R. Amen.

1 Like

I’m going to appear to be uncharitable but really I’m mixing humor with reason.

It’s called a corpse.

So the grim reapers/angels are on strike and refuse to garbage pick up? That’s basically what belief in ghosts are; you think God not only left you to have a crap life as a test BUT after you go you can miss your afterlife bus or get missed like lost luggage? The afterlife sanitation misses people? What kind of operation do you think Gods running?

Kinda ruins that whole

“I gave you this world for your own to use but be on the look out for the losers from a battle before time began. They are a bit bitter and won’t stay in their cell even though I’m God and can tots not let them do this. Sorry some cosmic crisis that had nothing to do with you is ruining your first home! Peace!”

Then God drives off in his nightrider.

Sure. But when you’re chasing a little kid down the hall at night, because you’ve seen him standing in your doorway, and you want to catch him before he falls down the stairs in the dark – except there’s no one actually there, and your own kid is sound asleep-- it can drive you crazy trying to think too much about it, because you’re okay with the “what” happened, but you have no idea as to how to interpret the “why” of it all. Reason goes away, because we only know a fraction of the rules. :slight_smile:

I still think it’s a lot like a sense of smell.

I remember when I was pregnant, I had superpowers. Even the faintest smells were overwhelming. Now-- I’m lucky to detect Popcorn Day at the school. :stuck_out_tongue: But it’s sort of like the difference between an ordinary person and a bloodhound-- the same scent is there, but the bloodhound is able to pick up on what’s invisible to the ordinary person.

Me, I’m an ordinary person. But I’ve known a few people who were spiritual bloodhounds. Not necessarily all the time— it all depended on God’s grace. But those people-- they’ve been at murder scenes and have felt the evil that was left behind to celebrate, or they saw God’s grace that had been present for a victim during his unexpected death. A church was built by one priest— he continues to be present there, even though he died decades ago. Or you have people who have to undergo their purgatory in the place where they didn’t fulfill their obligations. Or, things you bring into your house have claims on you— so if your house is full of St. Michael/Mary/Jesus statues/pictures/prayer cards, that’s a good thing; but if it’s, say, ouija boards or idols, that’s a bad thing. And the entities that are connected to you don’t wait patiently until after you’re dead-- they also interact with your life, for good and for bad.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.