How to request a Mass?

What's the proper procedure for requesting a Mass be said for someone? Also, is it proper to offer some money - I think I could spare a small amount. The parish and diocese don't say anything about who to talk to or what to do, and I'm still quite new as a Catholic.

Call the parish. The secretary will be able to make the arrangements for you. They usually have cards available so that you can give one if you wish. The secretary can tell you what the usual stipend is. Around here $10 is common.

[quote="DarkLight, post:1, topic:338055"]
What's the proper procedure for requesting a Mass be said for someone? Also, is it proper to offer some money - I think I could spare a small amount. The parish and diocese don't say anything about who to talk to or what to do, and I'm still quite new as a Catholic.

[/quote]

Call your parish secretary and she can give you all the details. I think the "cost" varies from place to place--but it's actually a donation--not a fee. Another words--if you don't have funds for it, I don't know of any parish that would refuse to say a Mass for your intention. The greater problem is if you want the Mass offered on a specific day or you want a particular Mass. My dad died on Christmas Eve right after midnight 32 years ago. Since then, I like to try to have the Christmas Eve midnight mass offered for him. I've lived in some parishes that simply declined to say a high Mass on a special day like Christmas Eve for any one single person's intention--saying that such a Mass is always offered for the parish as a whole. Where I live now, they will do it--but I have to claim that day and time way early--like before Thanksgiving--or it ends up taken. Also, I usually make a donation of $25-$50 as it is such a special day--and not simply for me. I've never been asked for a specific amount though.

Either call the parish office or talk to your pastor directly. Typically a mass stipend is $5 or $10, and you can ask for one to be said without a monetary offering if you honestly cannot afford it.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.