How to resist masturbation?

Hi,
I started to masturbate on the late age of 16. At first it was occasionnal, but it slowly became a real addiction. Sometimes I did so thrice a day. It was a true problem, cause it was taking over my life. Two months ago, I started going to college. I made it some kind of a school resolution. After 1 year, I’ve gone from daily masturbation and stopped at once. The first week was the most difficult. It was hard to sleep on my old couch. but it then became easier. Now i’ve been two months without masturbating. For last week, for an unknown reason, I has been having a crazy urge. I have been very stressed and haven’t slept last night. I am trying to keep busy but can’t seem to concentrate enough. Many people on the internet told me “masturbate, its good” or “you are beign brainwashed”. I don’t listen to these people. I have the right to follow my own path. And I don’t want to masturbate because i believe it’s wrong. So is there a way to unstress myself without masturbating? :confused:

PS: If my post is in the wrong thread, please move it. :thumbsup:

Pray and exercise. Cardio will help tire you out and get it off your mind.

Aside from your religious thoughts which I assume you posting here is why you think it may be “wrong” to do, rest easy. It’s a natural urge especially in single men of all ages who don’t have a sex partner. There are a few internet links on the topic and some that will ease your mind. I’d post one, and it’s not anything x-rated, but it gives frank Q&A’s on the topic. There is a site for male and one for female. There is also one from an RN from the UK as I recall as to sexuality in general. However, I worry about the moderator’s tolerance to post those here. You can do a search and find those. If it rules your life, then it can be deemed by some excessive, but having lots of testosterone is nothing to be ashamed of. You won’t go blind or grow hairy palms doing it. Priests, Bishops and Cardinals do it. Some say it’s very good for the male prostate to keep the fluids moving through the system. We should not surpress what God intended to happen naturally is my thought. Can a woman will herself to stop her monthly cycle? God imo gave us these urges, wonderful functions, as healthy humans. All in my opinion, in my medical training and background and not necessarily any church teaching. I’m sure there will be many thoughts given by others, based upon religious rules, medical findings which may help you psychologically dealing with it. Bottom line from me is “no worries” male or female. All things in moderation is the key.

Something to try-remember the blessed sacrament!

If your tempted to masturbate, remember that you cannot recieve the body and blood of Christ while in a state of mortal sin. That actually might help you to avoid sinful acts in the first place.

Just a thought.

It honestly sounds like if the drive comes from being stressed, it’s more that masturbation may be a coping technique for stress, rather than a release of a natural desire. I suggest exercising, prayerful meditiation, eating healthier, and maybe exercising more :wink: the trick is to try to get your stress down first. If the urge is still there, then you’re faced with the biological side of things. The only thing I can think of to do there is to pray. Everyone has these urges at some point, you just have to decide if you’re going to let your flesh rule you.

Fasting is another good idea for beating the urge as well. If you can say no to meat, or sweets or whatever, you’ll be building up the ability to say no to masturbation. But most importantly, go easy on yourself if you mess up. This isn’t to say it’s not big deal, it’s still sinful, but go to confession and don’t dwell on it! Just move on. I fully believe guilt (not conviction) is a tool of the devil to turn our minds to dwell on those sins which tempt us the most. As long as we are thinking about them, we are vulnerable!

Are you suggesting that a male do whatever can be done not to have a release through masturbation? Would that be your best advice? Would it be healthy for his prostate to eliminate this? You have some suggestions as in fasting, no meat, no sweets will help? That sounds more like Lenten sacrifice, and even more stress to me. :slight_smile: I could be wrong.

I notice from your profile on the thread that you are catholic. I am guessing that you do know that the church has made it quite clear that masturbation is not acceptable.

That being said, I do believe that a man’s body has ways of keeping itself healthy. One of those is that phenomenon commonly known as “wet dreams.” I believe that if ejaculation is healthy for a man, and necessary, his body will have it happen in a natural way that is not sinful. One does not need to participate in sin to keep himself healthy.

I don’t need schooling as to the church’s position on most any topic dealing with sexuality or other issues. I know how they stand and I don’t disrespect it and those who may of originated it and when they did. I was merely offering a reply to the OP with all due respect. Young people deal with this issue everyday and even some older folks, single and married including clergy.

You are. :thumbsup:

Man cannot free himself from the rage of the carnal passions except by the help of the Holy Spirit. That is why He says baptism with the spirit, with water and with fire is necessary, and that it is essential – that is to say, the spirit of divine bounty, the water of knowledge and life, and the fire of the love of God. Man must be baptized with this spirit, this water and this fire so as to become filled with the eternal bounty. Otherwise, what is the use of baptizing with material water? No, this baptism with water was a symbol of repentance, and of seeking forgiveness of sins. But in the cycle of Bahá’u’lláh there is no longer need of this symbol; for its reality, which is to be baptized with the spirit and love of God, is understood and established. (Abdu’l-Baha, Some Answered Questions, p. 92)

The Church has made it known that it is a sin. Why would you tell a man suffering from temptation to sin? You’re only helping Satan along.

I have read from many males on this forum that praying a Rosary or going to Adoration really helps when the urge is strong. I would also agree that exercise will help tire you and get your mind off of it. You need to keep your mind active so as not to sit and dwell on the temptation.

Let’s hope they don’t go off the deeper end with rage if they resist the urge. . I’m no Dr Drew as to education on the matter, but I have my science and medical educational background, We do have to deal with people who peacefully choose an outlet which is not harmful to them or society but makes them feel like they are doing the devil’s work. As a male, if you are, have you not been 14, 15, 16, 17 or 25 or 35 or 55 and felt you were doing something terrible? Many of us, including me, and many of the clergy, have entertained this urge to release in private. I disagree as to it being a mortal sin. I don’ t agree as to some of the man made rules from who knows when of what era and by who of the church but respect all those you subcribe to. With an Irish background of sorts, I hope to be in heaven a half hour before the devil knows I’m dead. :slight_smile: God bless you and yours and may the wind be at your back.

Many men live chaste lives without uncorking in fits of rage. I’m also educated in the sciences. Give me a break.

We’ve no argument with each other. I’ve never NOT given you a break and you’ll do the same for me, won’t you? I’ve no dog in the race. I’m just responding and want the best whatever works for our OP here. That’s what counts, don’ t you agree?

It was interesting, including your finding reading and typing time that your first response here came 3 minutes after the OP’s. Interesting…

Why is that interesting?

I also have a background in the sciences, I really don’t think that that has anything to do with yours or mine argument. If it did, then you would have to agree that human males aren’t capable of living a monogamous lifestyle because a vast majority of the Earth’s mammals aren’t capable of such (as I was taught in many of my biology classes).

Just because others sin does not make it right. No, I’m not male, you can see my name in my signature. But females also struggle with this sin.

I guess I’m of the mindset that you can’t pick and choose which teachings you want to listen to of the Church’s. If you’re Catholic, you believe what the Catholic Church teaches. It’s not a menu where you get to pick what you want. Masturbation is not an issue that the Church hasn’t given definite teachings on. It’s not something that one can say “Well, we can’t be sure if it’s okay or not”. It’s a sin, plain and simple.

Masturbation puts the focus on one’s own desires and happiness. It’s not part of the marriage act which God has put for the benefit of those married and for the procreation of children and is a blessing of marriage. Masturbation doesn’t help you gain anything other than self satisfaction. That in and of itself should put out warning signs that it isn’t the best of acts to do.

I don’t disagree. Women have a god given sexual organ which was put there for no other reason but for her sexual pleasure. It serves no other purpose. I agree she should ignore it completely… Only with a man, someday, shall she enjoy it.

:rolleyes: There goes any sort of serious conversation. Yes, sarcasm really helps your argument.

To the OP: I can see you take your faith seriously. I’ll keep you in my prayers. Because of sin, life on Earth is never going to be easy. The Devil is always looking for ways to make us trip and fall and loose faith in what God says. If you find yourself in temptation, take the time to go to Adoration, pray a Rosary or any prayer of your choice, or read some books of the Bible. It will do your soul much more help than falling into temptation.

John 2:15 Love not the world, neither the things that are in the world. If any man love the world, the love of the Father is not in him. 2:16 For all that is in the world, the lust of the flesh, and the lust of the eyes, and the pride of life, is not of the Father, but is of the world. 2:17 And the world passeth away, and the lust thereof: but he that doeth the will of God abideth for ever.

O Lord, help me to be meek and lowly, and strengthen me in severing myself from all things and in holding to the hem of the garment of Thy glory, so that my heart may be filled with Thy love and leave no space for love of the world and attachment to its qualities. (‘Abdu’l-Bahá, Bahá’í Prayers, p. 151)

Masturbation is not just a man’s problem. :rolleyes:

I used to masturbate and it would just make me more frustrated and have increased desires for premarital sex. Unfortunately, it was my mother that told me that masturbation was completely normal and harmless - great mother I had :frowning:

Anyway, once I began going to Confession, I began to realize that masturbation wasn’t just hurting me, it was hurting God.

When I felt the urges to masturbate, I would pray the Rosary and the meditation would help my stress levels go down and then my urge to masturbate was gone b/c I felt so sleepy from praying in the dark on my bed. After a while, when I felt “bad thoughts” lurking in my mind, I was just able to tell Satan to go away, pray to God for a few minutes, tell Blessed Mary that I love her too and then that was enough to get rid of my urges.

It is possible to live a chaste life, but it’s not possible without God in your life. The closer we come to God, the easier it is to become holy. Just ask Him for help and He will.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.