How to respect other religion?

can you tell me how? thanks!!!

It’s pretty simple - just treat others in the way that you would want to be treated.

One needs to make a distinction, in my opinion.

One can, and should, respect those who are of other religions, generally speaking.

One can, and should, respect the right of others to hold other religions.

That does not mean one is obliged to respect other religions.

Growth in essentials can be done in different ways, but all of them have as their root restraint in speech, that is, not praising one’s own religion, or condemning the religion of others without good cause. And if there is cause for criticism, it should be done in a mild way. But it is better to honor other religions for this reason. By so doing, one’s own religion benefits, and so do other religions, while doing otherwise harms one’s own religion and the religions of others. Whoever praises his own religion, due to excessive devotion, and condemns others with the thought “Let me glorify my own religion,” only harms his own religion.

• Ashoka’s 12th Rock Edict

rossum

Very wise.

Remembering that rule is the best evangelization tool we have.

Don’t kill people.

Love without ceasing. Look at them and see Christ. And be Christ to them.

Research.

Ironically Yours, Blade and Blood

I think we ought to respect each person. In so doing, we respect that people have beliefs. Unless there is some reason not to, we ought to show consideration for the beliefs of others. For example, I have worked to cover a colleague while they honor a set day for their religion, even though I don’t share their religion.

I am by nature a very curious person. Not curious in order to compare, but I like to talk to people about their beliefs, religion and morals.

My many non Catholic friends and I have had many, many discussions about religion. They usually begin with my asking them about a certain belief their church teaches. Then I will say something like, “The Catholic Church teaches…” I seldom, can’t say never, get into personalities such as “I” believe thus and thus and that is just the way it is and you are wrong". I just try to give the information as I believe it, why I believe it and let them take it from there. As you can see, I wouldn’t be a very formidable evangelist, but I do believe I am a good teacher.

If there is something I don’t understand about another person’s religion, I ask questions in the pursuit of knowledge. I think the strangest conversation I ever had was with a friend who is a member of the Latter Day Saints. Whew! Very strange, but that is her belief. I guess I can’t really call what we had a conversation, as I just sat and listened. I wouldn’t have known where to begin explaining what I believe to her. We are still friends.

I don’t believe in browbeating, judging, accusing anyone because of their religious beliefs. If I can somehow lead someone to the Catholic Church in a gentle way, I prefer to do that. Now if someone attacks the Church, I have been known to immediately defend it to the best of my ability. I try to hold my temper, but sometimes the fury just flows out. :blush:

Let’s face it, there are so many who call themselve “Catholic” and have no idea of the teachings of the Church. If we can’t revert these folks into accepting what the Church says, how is it we would have the arrogance to think we can change another’s heart who has never known the Church’s teachings and beliefs without the Holy Spirit giving us some extra spiritual help. We need all we can get for our daily lives and even more to help our neighbors.

I believe in giving the respect and dignity to another person for their beliefs as I expect to receive from them for mine.

I think the best way to have a positive influence is to lead by example. People will remember you by what you do, how you behave, not necessarily by what you say or preach. Actions speak the loudest. So you can be respectful and kind with your actions, and choose to discuss things rather than debate them.

AMEN!!!

I said this on another thread-but it bears repeating here. When I taught RCIA the common answer for why people came to the Catholic church was the loving example they saw in other Catholics.

We catch many more flies with our honey than with our vinegar.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.