How to respond to terrible accusations when little details are known

I don't know if this is better suited on the Social Justice forum, but I think this is a moral dilemma, so I am putting it here.

I just saw a blogger make a slam at Catholics saying, "First pedophiles, now nuns committing slavery" Here's the article he was referring to:news.yahoo.com/ireland-apologizes-women-catholic-laundries-202801171.html

I don't know how to respond to people like this. I want to defend my Catholic faith and yet, I have no idea what to say to this. I'm tired of people lambasting Catholicism when they know little to nothing about it.

Thoughts?

You can defend your Catholic faith easily by saying the people guilty of these atrocities were clearly going against the faith they purported to hold in the things that they did.

The evil other men (or women) do, even if they hold a position in the Church, does not undermine the teaching of the Church itself. The only way that would happen would be if the fundamental deposit of faith itself could be shown to have a deleterious effect on believers, which patently it does not.

[quote="Catholic80, post:1, topic:315649"]
I don't know if this is better suited on the Social Justice forum, but I think this is a moral dilemma, so I am putting it here.

I just saw a blogger make a slam at Catholics saying, "First pedophiles, now nuns committing slavery" Here's the article he was referring to:news.yahoo.com/ireland-apologizes-women-catholic-laundries-202801171.html

I don't know how to respond to people like this. I want to defend my Catholic faith and yet, I have no idea what to say to this. I'm tired of people lambasting Catholicism when they know little to nothing about it.

Thoughts?

[/quote]

I know just how you feel because I felt that way about Cspan callers back in the day.
Just say a prayer for that person and move on, you're never going to change the mind of someone on the internet. However, if you feel that you have a ministry to defend the Church try a blog....the insults that are upsetting to you are so old and tired that you're never going to change anyone's mind.

[quote="DexUK, post:2, topic:315649"]
You can defend your Catholic faith easily by saying the people guilty of these atrocities were clearly going against the faith they purported to hold in the things that they did.

The evil other men (or women) do, even if they hold a position in the Church, does not undermine the teaching of the Church itself. The only way that would happen would be if the fundamental deposit of faith itself could be shown to have a deleterious effect on believers, which patently it does not.

[/quote]

You make a good point, where in Catholic doctrine are these things deemed okay?
Bigotry has many faces, esp on the internet.

Catholics do a lot of good, even I can see that.

If I think it's a person who is capable of dialogue, I ask them, "What did they do?" And if they are not able to provide some source material, I ask for it. I might even say, "If nuns are doing terrible things, I want to know it. Do you know which of them are the perpetrators?" Ask for names and evidence. Nothing rude about that.

[quote="Margy1948, post:4, topic:315649"]
You make a good point, where in Catholic doctrine are these things deemed okay?
Bigotry has many faces, esp on the internet.

Catholics do a lot of good, even I can see that.

[/quote]

Where does Catholic doctrine tell us that forced slavery in laundries is wrong? Nowhere specifically but the Catechism is chock full of exhortations to do the right thing in all ways, and clearly forced slavery is very definitely NOT the right thing.

Defending one's faith in these sorts of instances is easy. You simply say what your faith demands and how those who were guilty of these terrible things did not meet up to it. Condemn their actions by means of illustrating your faith. Not only do you then defend the teachings of the Church but you also automatically evangelise at the same time,

[quote="DexUK, post:2, topic:315649"]

[/quote]

Thanks. You are right that keeping it simple is best. I guess I was getting too caught up in the details.

Thanks to all who replied, as well.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.