How to respond to this argument:

“Paul and Jesus were making rules, (name mortal sin), for people 2000 years ago. It doesn’t apply today as long as you follow the commandments. Anyways, they never say (mortal sin) in the Bible! It doesn’t matter what the Catholic Church says, you can receive communion, Upgrade. Don’t abstain!”

Sigh… How do I get them to take me to confession and to understand that the thousands of years argument is invalid?

Jesus told the 72 in Luke 10:16, “Whoever listens to you listens to me; whoever rejects you rejects me; but whoever rejects me rejects him who sent me.” While this passage does not mention the 12 or Peter specially, it is unthinkable that they would not be among the 72 since they were the chosen core of all the followers of Jesus.

We of course also know that Jesus founded one Church, and that Church had teaching authority: “Therefore go and make disciples of all nations … and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you” – and that today’s bishops are the successors of the Apostles: “[W]hat you have heard from me before many witnesses entrust to faithful men who will be able to teach others also” (2 Tim. 2:2).

So, if “Paul and Jesus were making rules for people 2000 years ago” and no one with any authority has rescinded those rules, they must still apply.

Honestly, this may apply differently depending on the sin. Because the sin is not specified, it is hard to say.
Because you are a teenage male, and there is the argument of “they never say (mortal sin) in the bible!”, I assume you are talking about masturbation. (I am not accusing you of this, so please do not be angry If I am wrong)
Masturbation is wrong because ejaculation is only supposed to happen if it is with the pure intention of reproducing with your wife. In the Catechism of the Catholic Church, it is said “The deliberate use of the sexual faculty, for whatever reason, outside of marriage is essentially contrary to its purpose.”
Now, if you are not talking about masturbation and this answer was unhelpful, I am sorry for wasting your time. It would be better for everyone if you specified the sin.
-God Bless

Ask them to respect your beliefs, wether they believe differently or not.

You sound righteous and pius. Those are very respectable qualities in a young man.

Well, EVEN if what they are alleging were true (which it’s not) they are not judge of whatever other sins you have committed. So perhaps just say, maybe not, but I do have other sins you are not aware of, and I am not disclosing or discussing them with anyone except a priest.

Remind them that the words in the Bible are God’s living word. God is perfect and has always been- He doesn’t change… so the words in the Bible don’t either. We are the ones that are constantly changing. Do you have The Catechism of the Catholic Church? It may prove helpful when speaking with them.

I feel for you! Tell them that the sacrament of reconciliation is one of the biggest gifts God gave us. Your soul NEEDS it. If they won’t take you- call your parish and schedule an appointment for a time that works for you… maybe you can get someone else to take you? Maybe a priest can make sure he is available for you before mass some time? I know my priests have always been willing to set appointments with me when I need it.

Keep praying for your family, God will help you find a way out of your tough spot.

So their thought process is it has to say the exact words “mortal sin”? If we are allowed to use that thought process then I can have the Bible say what ever I want it to say.

The Bible most definetly speaks of deadly sin which is what mortal sin is.

I John 5:16-18:
If anyone sees his brother committing a sin that is not a deadly sin, he will ask, and God will give him life for those whose sin is not deadly. There is sin which is deadly; I do not say one is to pray for that. All wrongdoing is sin, but there is sin which is not deadly. We know that anyone born of God does not sin, but He who is born of God keeps him, and the evil one does not touch him.

These verses cannot be any plainer that there is such a thing as “deadly sin” and “sin which is not deadly.” That is precisely what the Church means by mortal (sin unto death) and venial (sin not unto death) sin.

Revelation 21:8
8 But as for the cowardly, the faithless, the polluted, as for murderers, fornicators, sorcerers, idolaters, and all liars, their lot shall be in the lake that burns with fire and brimstone, which is the second death.”
Revelation 22:15
15 Outside are the dogs and sorcerers and fornicators and murderers and idolaters, and every one who loves and practices falsehood.
Ephesians 5:5
5 Be sure of this, that no immoral or impure man, or one who is covetous (that is, an idolater), has any inheritance in the kingdom of Christ and of God.
Colossians 3:5-6
5 Put to death therefore what is earthly in you: immorality, impurity, passion, evil desire, and covetousness, which is idolatry. 6 On account of these the wrath of God is coming.

For more info on where I got this on mortal sin follow this link or have them take a look.
catholic.com/blog/tim-staples/mortal-and-venial-sin

I got news for ya… :rolleyes:

Don’t count on age to put you in a perfect state of mind. Trust me on this.

What does age has got to do with what is sinful? Today or 2000 years ago, a sin is a sin.

It doesn’t apply today as long as you follow the commandments.

Who says that following the commandments is sufficient? You need love, faith, mercy, hope etc. And who can judge what to apply or not? Jesus has handed over that keys to the apostles and he specifically instruct those who disagree to take it to the Church for judgement.

Anyways, they never say (mortal sin) in the Bible!

Neither did the 10 commandments tag itself as not following it is mortal sin. But we all know violating it is. The Church has taught how to discern between mortal and venial sins. Before the Bible was the Church. Check against the Church. Many things are not found in the Bible.

It doesn’t matter what the Catholic Church says, you can receive communion, Upgrade. Don’t abstain!"

It matters because Jesus says that is His Church. It matters because he instruct you to take it to the Church. Not take upon self decision-making. Upgrade, don’t abstain? Says who and why, for what purpose?

According to who ‘they’ are. If it’s your mom or dad? Say “Hey I know you don’t believe this, I know you think it’s silly… but I do. Can you please just give me a ride? It’s important to me.” Don’t try to make them believe it too… just show them that you TRULY believe it. We can’t force others to join us on the journey but we can evangelize not only with words but first and foremost with witness. Our actions speak to the person first, then come the words of the Gospel.

“Heaven and Earth may pass, but my words will never pass”.

:thumbsup:

If your parents think the Commandments are still valid after abut 3,000 years, then how can the words of Jesus not count after 2,000 years?

Do your parents admit that murder is a great evil? Why, if the words ‘mortal sin’ don’t appear in the passage listing the Commandments?

Really? Read below!

I John 5:16-18:

If anyone sees his brother committing a sin that is not a deadly sin, he will ask, and God will give him life for those whose sin is not deadly.** There is sin which is deadly**; I do not say one is to pray for that. All wrongdoing is sin, but there is sin which is not deadly. We know that anyone born of God does not sin, but He who is born of God keeps him, and the evil one does not touch him.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.