How to show that voting for Trump doesn't make one a racist?

I haven’t fully researched all of what Trumps view are towards different people, but it seems like the majority of people believe him to be a racist, xenophobic, homophobic, and a misogynist.

There are two common arguments made by the anti-Trump group to try to justify their rage towards the results of the election and to those who voted for Trump (or just didn’t vote for Hilary).

1. “If you vote for Trump. You are a racist.”

Now a rebuttal to that would be that the voter wasn’t voting for Trump in order to be racist. They were voting because they are pro-life, want to repeal Obamacare, want to de-legalize gay marriage, etc.

BUT

Then they will use this argument.

1. “You may not be voting for Trump because you are racist, but your vote acknowledges that racism isn’t a deal breaker”

This is a nicer and more indirect way of accusing a Trump supporter of being racist.

I didn’t vote for Trump (I voted for Mike Maturen), but I know a lot of sincere, God-fearing Catholics who did vote for him and I know they aren’t racist. They just want to protect the unborn and keep the sanctity of marriage.

How would one show that Argument #2 is a false generalization?

Racism is a deal breaker, since it all human life no matter what race should be protected from unjust discrimination.
Abortion is a non-negotiable, since all innocent human life should be protected, no matter what stage of existence, from actions that serve to destroy it.

Trump was in the public eye for decades before he ran for president, yet no one felt any need to call him a racist until he ran for president.

That’s all the proof I need.

I don’t think one can have an adult conversation or debate reason with the type of people who argue with the type of logic you are describing in #2. Common sense is outside the comprehensive ability for the brains of liberal idiots. Common sense overloads there brain and makes it explode from logic. For example, how do you argue with someone who claim that if a black person votes for Trump, that means that person hates black people?

Does Trumps election to the presidency have any effect on the reality of abortion or gay marriage?

If not, then voting for trump for those reasons alone was a very poor decision.

In regards to abortion, at least, yes. His appointment of a good Supreme Court Justice may well lead to steps in the right direction. And I believe he is likely to defund Planned Parenthood.

I don’t think that saying someone tacitly cooperated with racism is the same thing as being explicitly racist. There’s an important distinction there. And I think that’s the problem people have with Trump. It’s not that he doesn’t like brown people. (For the record, I don’t think Trump is racist. I think he sees the world in terms of what is useful to him which reduces ALL people to tools in his mind, regardless of demographics) It’s that his campaign used prejudice. It was something in his toolbox that he could use, and he used it. To great effect, as we all saw on the 8th. Among other tools - I’m not saying the prejudice won him the election but it was clearly something that he stirred up. And I think that’s why #2 isn’t a false generalization. Because people who voted for Trump have to square with the fact that they voted for him despite all the monstrously awful things he’s said on the campaign trail. You can say “yeah, he said really bad things but I didn’t vote for him because of that. I voted for him for economic and political reasons.” But that’s tantamount to saying “I voted for him for economic and political reasons DESPITE the fact that he said really bad things.”

I think the best defense someone can say is “Yes I voted for Trump for X, Y, and Z. I don’t agree with the horrible things he said, and if I see people being harassed or mistreated, I will step in and help.” And then actually do step in and help.

What does that mean exactly? Can he make abortion illegal?

He employs somewhere around 35,000 people.

It is unlikely he is a racist.

I believe the issue was raised when he fabricated the birth certificate question and did it relentlessly. For the record, I am not calling him a racist but I’m not going to bury his 6 bankruptcies and charges of fraud and racketeering against him either. His voters will have to live with any transgression he commits in office is my opinion. They should have known what they were getting.

All those on the left can do is make baseless accusations and call people names. The Democrats lost because they have abandoned their traditional constituency in favor of the elites on the East and West coasts who care more about sexual issues and non-citizens than they do about the working people who were born here. I hope they keep Pelosi as party leader and they will lose more seats in the Congress and state legislatures.

I mean, like I said, I don’t think he’s explicitly racist. But I sincerely doubt he interviewed every single one of those people. Or saw their resumes. And even racist people can hire a bunch of Hispanic low-wage drywall hangers.

I get the feeling that catholics only voted for him because he said he was pro life. His moral character was irrelevant.

The Supreme Court is the most important aspect of this election.

A vote for Hillary Clinton was a vote for this:
nytimes.com/2016/06/28/us/supreme-court-texas-abortion.html

I prioritize abortion over all other issues, as many bishops and priests taught me to.

I would turn the debate around and posit to the person on point #2: Your vote acknowledges that you tacitly support abortion

Bottom line: Donald Trump has said things I don’t agree with, and he has backed off of a number of them. Hillary has not backed off her support for abortion rights, pro-abortion judges, support of Planned Parenthood, AND, she said she “admires” pro-eugenics and founder of Planned Parenthood, Margaret Sanger.

One needs to add in the fact that Hillary was corrupt to her very core. I think that is why many voted for Trump.

I would say on abortion he does. Pence is 100% pro life. He never said he would appoint judges that were for Planned Oarebthood or said he’d defend partial birth abortion. If he isn’t pro life when he gets in office we surly must hold his feet to the fire.

A vote for Hillary Clinton was a vote for this:
nytimes.com/2016/06/28/us/supreme-court-texas-abortion.html

So that happened because of Hillary Clinton and would not happen with the trump presidency?

I prioritize abortion over all other issues, as many bishops and priests taught me to.

I would turn the debate around and posit to the person on point #2: Your vote acknowledges that you tacitly support abortion

So voters of trump tacitly support racism and whatever evil vice that trump supports?

Bottom line: Donald Trump has said things I don’t agree with, and he has backed off of a number of them. Hillary has not backed off her support for abortion rights, pro-abortion judges, support of Planned Parenthood, AND, she said she “admires” pro-eugenics and founder of Planned Parenthood, Margaret Sanger.

That doesn’t mean that trump was the right choice.

1. As Gavin McIness would say “racism must be the new nice” since everyone and their brother gets called a racist.

2. No one ever thought in their wildest dreams to call Donald J. Trump a racist…until he decided to run against a Democrat. :blush:

So voters of trump tacitly support racism and whatever evil vice that trump supports?

Abortion is FAR worse than racism. Only reason people talk about racism is because such discussions are easy, safe and cool. :cool:

The point is you can vote for somebody and not support there pro-abortion stance.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.