How to talk to an ATHIEST

I’ve seen more books that I can count dealing with how to talk with a fundamentalist, but does anyone have any good source for books on talking with athiests?

[quote=Meunke]I’ve seen more books that I can count dealing with how to talk with a fundamentalist, but does anyone have any good source for books on talking with athiests?
[/quote]

“I Don’t Have Enough Faith to be an Atheist” by Norman Geisler and Frank Turek

I have found this one to be the best.

Beebs

[quote=Meunke]I’ve seen more books that I can count dealing with how to talk with a fundamentalist, but does anyone have any good source for books on talking with athiests?
[/quote]

How about talking to us like to anybody else? We don’t bite and don’t eat babies. :slight_smile:

[quote=AnAtheist]How about talking to us like to anybody else? We don’t bite and don’t eat babies. :slight_smile:
[/quote]

:rotfl:

It’s like the Apostle Paul said, “I have become all things to all men that I might win them.” As with anyone else, we ought to be friends to them and show them the love of Christ. As to approaches, I don’t think getting into philosophical arguments is helpful. Rather, let the testimony of your life speak first and then be there for them to help them with their questions and their needs. And of course, as with any attempts at bringing the Gospel to others, pray, pray, pray! :wink:

Not specific to atheists, I like Dr Phillip Johnson’s book “The Right Questions”. In general he speaks of the importance of asking questions rather than giving answers. He contends it is the best way to approach anyone of differring views.

DELLA

I know you mean well:

• I don’t think getting into philosophical arguments is helpful. Rather, let the testimony of your life speak first and then be there for them to help them with their questions and their needs.*

But their questions almost always end up being philosophical ones … or scientific ones such as “evolution vs creationism.” I don’t think I have ever heard one express a need … unless it was the need to parry and thrust over philosophical questions.

What do you mean by “testimony of your life.” This holds out promise to me but I need an example of what you’re talking about.

BEEBS

I’ve seen more books that I can count dealing with how to talk with a fundamentalist, but does anyone have any good source for books on talking with athiests?

I don’t know that you need a whole book on that topic. I’ve written a pamphlet for prisoners titled “The Dilemmas of Atheism,” but I deal more with how to answer atheists’ questions and how to ask them questions that they will find difficult to answers. I don’t explore the psychological angle of how to “stroke” atheists, if that’s what you’re after. I’m sure there something out there to aid you. Keep reshuffling “key words” at Yahoo. Something should come up.

God bless your efforts.

I’d second this: the atheists I have dealt with usually have the mindset that atheism is rational; religious faith is irrational. Thus, personal testimonies are often discounted because they are seen as purely subjective experiences that are probably caused by psychological weaknesses on the part of those who experience them.

I have had better success by stressing the reasonableness of faith, and by pointing out that atheism, far from being “free” of gaith, actually requires a great deal of it. Also, people who have poor relations with their fathers (or absent fathers) are more likely to be atheists: therefore, it sometimes is a manifestation of psychological problems (which is rather ironic, given the common atheist attitude that people of faith are the ones with the problems). Aquinas is a good antidote for the atheist attitude that faith and reason are in opposition: go to www.peterkreeft.com for a simple, layman’s explanation of Aquinas’ arguments, as well as some others. You need to stress that reason and faith are complementary.

[/quote]

In dealing with athiests, the best thing to do is to put yourself in their shoes. Don’t assume that they’ll accept scriptural refrences and stuff. You’d have to talk to them scientifically and historically, basically just pure human logic. Then hopefully the Holy Spirt will guide the person to the truth. Also, prayer to the Holy Spirit and petition a Saint (such as a Saint that was once a non-believer) would be helpful.

:blessyou:

[quote=Gilbert Keith]BEEBS

I don’t know that you need a whole book on that topic. I’ve written a pamphlet for prisoners titled “The Dilemmas of Atheism,” but I deal more with how to answer atheists’ questions and how to ask them questions that they will find difficult to answers. I don’t explore the psychological angle of how to “stroke” atheists, if that’s what you’re after. I’m sure there something out there to aid you. Keep reshuffling “key words” at Yahoo. Something should come up.

God bless your efforts.
[/quote]

I was asked for a book. :stuck_out_tongue: :rolleyes:

Besides as I said this book is one of the best I have read on the subject. :thumbsup:
It covers Intelligent Design, logic of universal truth, existence of moral law, miracles (if God exists, then miracles are possible-which then can be used to confirm God’s messengers), evidence of the historical reliability of the New Testament also there are two appendixes which cover mock question and answers.

On a final point, my favorite point is this book is heavily footnoted from biblical, Christian and secular sources.

Beebs

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.