How to teach my Mormon friend

One of my best friends is Mormon, and we occasionally talk about religion. Her family are pretty devout Mormons, but recently she did come to church with me and my family (I attend a Southern Baptist Church). Even more recently, we were talking about our religions once again (we’re fascinated by religion/theology), and I asked her if she thought she would ever convert, but also what she would do if I ever tried to convert her. Anyway, I do realize that sounds very judgmental, but that wasn’t what I intended, I was just trying to figure out if she had any thoughts or doubt in her beliefs. I honestly just wanted to know if she has a personal relationship with Jesus Christ. So anyway, I want to talk to her more about my beliefs (and not that I believe my beliefs are right and everyone’s are wrong) and explain them and especially the Trinity. I just want to lead to her Jesus Christ, because I do know she is struggling with her beliefs. Any advice on how to teach her and help her on her spiritual journey? Thanks. (And sorry this post is so long!)

Personally my friend I think she might be able to poke holes through your beliefs just as easily as you can through hers. While I do not believe anyone who is baptist will go to hell (it’s ridiculous some christians regardless of denomination believe that about their brothers and sisters) I can say with 100% charity and 100% certainty that baptists are wrong. If you want to share Truth with your friend than I invite you to start learning about Catholicism. One of the best books I’ve found for putting things into perspective in a way I could understand, is Dr. Scott Hahn’s “The Lambs Supper”. He was a former evangelical pastor who came to understand the Truth of Catholicism and he uses Scriptures to point out the Truth that is the Catholic Church.

I understand my above remarks sound mean but that’s not at all my intent. You came here looking for help with getting your friend out of mormonism (a truly admirable goal since they are dangerously wrong about key things (Christ’s divinity being the biggest one for obvious reasons). Your heart is seeking Christ and His Truth and that is fantastic! But you won’t be able to succeed in sharing the fullness of Christ’s revealed Truth if you don’t know it yourself :wink: Give these forums a chance. The people on here are wonderful. I credit this site to my conversion. God Bless you!

First off, you can’t convert your friend. Only the Holy Spirit can do that. Can she see Christ in you? Obviously, you know that the Mormon Church is a false system. Show her the truth, not just in the Bible, but in You. St. Francis said it best" Preach the Gospel at all times. And, if necessary, use words." Prayer also works wonders. Allow God to lead the conversation, and don’t push it. If she gets defensive, pull back. Best of luck. Let us know how it goes.

Since you both have a religious streak, do some Bible study together, and uncover the plagiarism from the Bible in the Book of Mormon. Don’t forget the Deuterocanon (what you call the Catholic Apocrypha). There is plenty of information available-- utlm.org/ may probably be your best source. They also sell books.

And be careful-- I agree that Mormons are capable of punching massive holes in Baptist beliefs.

You might not realize this, but Mormons are actually atheists… so you’ll need to prove up the existence of God before you can move on to the Trinity.

I also agree with you that I don’t believe other Christian denominations will go to Hell. And you may completely right that Baptists are completely wrong. I have been brought up Baptist, so that is all I know! But I do have a great interest in Catholicism, and have been learning more about in this year. But because I’m a Christian teenager with Baptist parents, I can’t really convert or go to Mass. I guess that part of learning will have to wait until I’m older and out of the house. I’m pretty stubborn in my beliefs, so I don’t think she would be able to persuade me in changing my beliefs, because I think the LDS Church is completely misguided and follow false prophets and false beliefs. But anyway, thank you for your input. I’ll have to see if that book is available in e-book format! I have posted on this forum several time sporadically in the past year, all about different things, but yes I truly love this forum and most of the people on here are very nice and considerate! I pray God will help me and my friend in our faith and beliefs! Thank you so much!

Yes, I do realize that I am not the one who can do the converting. I even told my friend that. I told her that it’s a very personal and intimant thing with God; it’s not like a certain process. I do believe she can see Christ in me, because she asks for advice and things of such about my relationship with God and what keeps me motivated. I do try to act my best and strive to be Christ-like; it’s so hard in today’s society! But yes, I will be praying definitely! I’m always telling her I’m not trying to push anything down her throat, I just want us to learn more and curious since most of my friends are of the same denomination as me. Thank you for your advice! I really appreciate it!

I’m thinking maybe it would be a really good idea for us to study the Bible together! Maybe we could find a bible study that fits us or just read the Bible and talk about our beliefs about things! Thank you for your input! I need to get my hands on a copy of a ASV Bible with the Deuterocanon. I feel like I’m missing out since I don’t have never read those Jewish texts! Weren’t some of those books found in the Dead Sea Scrolls also? Thank you for your warning about my beliefs, I will stay true to my beliefs; I’m pretty strong-willed. (:

Does your Mormon friend wish to leave that faith? Be very careful about engaging in diologue that leads to proof texting etc. Why not leave well alone, inform yourself with a good course in apologetics, so that you are armed for te occasions when your friend initiates conversation. Do not get into arguments, you will rarely win xx

A good book you may want to read in order to better understand Mormonism…“How Wide the Divide, A Mormon & an Evangelical in Conversation” by Stephen Robinson. The books seeks to shed light on Mormon belief as understood and contrasted by Evangelical Christianity.

Why did she go to church with you? Was she curious about what goes on in a Baptist service? Is she wanting to get converted? Also, don’t forget that LDS already consider themselves to have a very personal relationship with Christ.

Actually, if you want to look at the Book of Mormon from a Baptist perspective, this guy did a great job, and it is public domain. The Tanners quote from it frequently in their work:
play.google.com/store/books/details?id=qi3EPohletoC

komeeks
It sounds like she is still a minor and the responsibility of her parents. You don’t want them to end your friendship because they think you are a bad influence. So first, just be a good christian friend.

Think of Judo, where you use your opponents strength or movements against them. You can use her efforts to evangelize you as openings to make her think through her dogma. So, just let her explain her beliefs and ask sincere questions that provoke thought. Don’t condemn her outright or get too preachy. Pray and let the Holy Spirit guide you!

You might not realize this, but Mormons are actually atheists… so you’ll need to prove up the existence of God before you can move on to the Trinity.

Poaching this from wiki:

Mormons believe in “a friendly universe,” governed by a God whose work and glory it is to bring his children to immortality and eternal life. Mormons have a fairly unique perspective on the nature of God, the origin of man, and the purpose of life. For instance, Mormons believe in a pre-mortal existence where people were literal spirit children of God, and that God presented a plan that would allow his children to progress and become more like him. The plan involved the spirits receiving bodies on earth and going through trials in order to learn, progress, and receive a “fulness of joy”. The most important part of the plan involved Jesus, the eldest of God’s children, coming to earth as the literal Son of God, to conquer sin and death so that God’s other children could return. According to Mormons, every person who lives on earth will be resurrected, and most of them will be received into various kingdoms of glory. To be accepted into the highest kingdom, a person must fully accept Christ through faith, repentance, and through ordinances such as baptism and the laying on of hands.

They may not understand “God” quite the same way you do, or believe in a different god or many gods, but they ain’t atheists.

They may not understand “God” quite the same way you do, or believe in a different god or many gods, but they ain’t atheists.

All a matter of semantics. They believe in an anthropomorphic god, we believe in an Infinite God. Yet they say that our traditions borrow too much from the Greeks. :shrug:

You think that the difference between an anthropomorphic god and atheism is merely “semantic?”

Have you ever tried asking a Mormon if they believe that God is Infinite?

Try running a search on the word “infinite” in the Book of Mormon and see what shows up. For example:

Alma 34:14

14 And behold, this is the whole meaning of the law, every whit pointing to that great and last sacrifice; and that great and last sacrifice will be the Son of God, yea, infinite and eternal.

Or run the same search on the Doctrine and Covenants:

Doctrine and Covenants 20:28

28 Which Father, Son, and Holy Ghost are one God, infinite and eternal, without end. Amen.

Doctrine and Covenants 20:17

17 By these things we know that there is a God in heaven, who is infinite and eternal, from everlasting to everlasting the same unchangeable God, the framer of heaven and earth, and all things which are in them;

etc.

No, Jerusha, that’s not a “semantic” difference. That’s a very substantive distinction.

Agree! :thumbsup:

To the author, just show your love and be kind with her/him, and prove the good fruits of the Catholic Church in you.

Sounds to me like you’re doing fine, being honest and everything. One concern I have when a friend tries to convert me is, is the whole friendship motivated by their desire to convert me? So long as your friendship is real regardless of what she decides, and so long as you remain as honest and above board as you describe, I think you’re on the right track.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.