How to tell family about becoming Catholic

I need some tips on telling my family about me becoming Catholic. Any help and advice that you could give me would me appreciated.

There is a website www.chnetwork.org

It is the Coming Home Network and it was developed by a former Presbyterian minister turned Catholic and its purpose is to offer help and support to converts - ministers in particular - however, there is information about how to talk to your family about this change you are making in your life.

Hope that helps.

Remember, you should be proud to do such a thing. Becoming Catholic is the best thing that could have happened in your life. By God’s grace you have been granted the privelege, shout it from the rooftops.

But, if youre embarressed, then prayer is your only solution imo.

I am not particularly close to anyone in my family so I don’t have much advise there. However, what I plan on doing with my friends is compose an email listing all the reasons why I had to reject Protestantism. For me, I have a harder time articulating myself face-to-face and a letter or email will help me get my arguments in order. That way they will hear my best argument for converting rather than hear a bumbling fool on the phone.

I also hope that the letter will be an avenue for evangelization, that it will prompt my friends to explore the claims of Catholicism.

[quote=GoLatin]I need some tips on telling my family about me becoming Catholic. Any help and advice that you could give me would me appreciated.
[/quote]

Well, that all depends on what kind of reaction you expect. But, I assume you believe it won’t be wholehearted support. I believe the best thing you can do is emphasize the good things you got out of your former Protestant denomination. Did you learn respect for Holy Scripture, to honor your parents, to have a deep relationship with Christ? Then talk up those things, especially to parents to let them know you have nothing but love for them and the wonderful religious education they gave to you and all their hard work and prayers. Be respectful and kindly to anyone with questions, and so allay their fears that you have suddenly lost your marbles. :wink:

[quote=arieh0310] However, what I plan on doing with my friends is compose an email listing all the reasons why I had to reject Protestantism…
[/quote]

That sounds like a good idea - I may compile myself a similar listing for when I tell my mom…I’m expecting nothing but bad things when I tell her. :confused: Having a list like that may help me keep composure.

However you decide to tell them, be prepared for them to react with shock and disbelief. :eek: After the initial shock reaction, which could last days or months, they might be ready to dialogue with you about your reasons for becoming Catholic. Or, they might buy a bunch of anti-Catholic literature and start bashing you with nonsense.

DH and I told our families (all Evangelical Christians) about 3 months ago. His parents are concerned about our salvation, but don’t want to talk about it. My parents think we’re crazy but still saved. One sister is now thinking about checking into the claims of the Church. One sister and her DH occasionally will discuss issues about the Church.

I do wish we’d told them earlier in our process of investigating the Church, instead of waiting until the decision was already made. They might have been more willing to talk about it if they thought they could change our minds.

-Janelle

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.