How to Tell Pope from Anti-Pope

In the past there have been times when there was a real pope and another person claiming to be the pope, who we call the anti-pope. In some cases the real pope didn’t live in Rome. So how could we tell which one is real, for sure?

Today it’s the same problem, Pope Benedict XVI lives in Rome, and Pope Pius XIII lives somewhere else, but claims to be the legitimate pope. How do we tell for sure which one is the anti-pope?

I know it seems obvious because one has so much more following than the other. But in cases in the past the anti-popes have had lots of support.

Which one was elected by the College of Cardinals?

They both were elected by a ‘college of cardinals’ much like the antipopes in middle ages:

The following

The Conclave Committee, a group of 3 Catholic laymen,

(From the website)
is not the College of Cardinals, Laymen cannot be cardinals as cardinals must be ordained bishops.

Thanks for resolving this question for me.

Uh,… is this anywhere NEAR serious, as opposed to a FANTASTIC satire…!?

I’d like to know the degree of my “sinfulness” in laughing my flippin’ head off about this.

Thanks for your help.

</me shaking my head in either disbelief or abject admiration for creativity in satire>

Mahalo ke Akua…!
E pili mau na pomaikai iaoe. Aloha nui.

May I ask what that link is all about? The one to website removed? Is this some group that considers themselves to be the ***true ***Catholics and anyone different from them is not?

This group doesn’t recognize Pope Benedict and didn’t recognize Pope John Paul???

? Is this some group that considers themselves to be the ***true ***Catholics and anyone different from them is not?

This group doesn’t recognize Pope Benedict and didn’t recognize Pope John Paul???Yep…and they are essentially just a handful of messed up people. As with all Christian communities, we get our share of whackos.:shrug:

Cardinals don’t have to be Bishops, most are but a few are not. It has never been a requirement. But you must be a priest to be a Cardinal, and to be made a Cardinal a pope must give you the title.

Until sometime around 1000-1200 all the bishops could participate in finding the new pope, but when there got to be to many bishops and the conclaves got rediculous then it became just the cardinals.

But “Pope Pius XIII” is not even an Anti-Pope. In order to be an Anti-Pope you have to have some group of Cardinals and Bishops that were ordained by a previous Pope putting you into office because they believe the conclave elected the wrong man and so they see fit to elect the new one.

Anyways “Pope Pius XIII” just looks silly.

Heres to hoping one day in the future a man deserving of the title of “Pope Pius” will be elevated by the College of Cardinals. But until then Viva il Papa Bennedito and all who follow him!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.