how to treat those of another faith

what are your views on how to treat those of another faith and why??:slight_smile: :smiley:

As the Church directs us to–with love and respect for them as people and for their beliefs. There is always some truth in other beliefs simply because of the natural law that God has implanted in all human hearts.

This does not mean compromising the truth, of course. But, when we share the truth we are to do it with love not as a way to beat others over the head or triumphalistically. Bad behavior rarely makes converts.

I agree. But what bothers me is the way others are treated in reality. What happens inside us that makes us observe treating others with respect due and what causes that to go out the window?

I am contantly under fire at work and on the streets because of the way I treat others of differing faiths. I can treat them with respect and not comprimise my own faith. I can love them as humans and value them. Sometimes I even learn from them how to be a better catholic strange as that sounds.

Why all the discord that I see??

The short answer is sin. We also tend to put self-interest before our principles, sad to say.

I am contantly under fire at work and on the streets because of the way I treat others of differing faiths.

What brings it on?

I can treat them with respect and not comprimise my own faith. I can love them as humans and value them. Sometimes I even learn from them how to be a better catholic strange as that sounds.

Sounds good to me. :slight_smile:

Why all the discord that I see??

People don’t like being challenged in their beliefs. The best way to “preach” is simply to live a life of holiness and love. I don’t usually bring up faith issues unless I’m asked. That way they have opened the conversation, and so are more ready to hear what I have to say. Of course, if someone is just being snarky, I tell them I’d rather not talk about it and advise them to do some reading on the topic.

As a Friend, we believe the Light of Christ indwells each person. The Light Within, that of God in each of us is what binds humanity together. This Light Within is our sure Guide and Teacher.

Because this Light Within is an integral part of who we are, all religious beliefs have an element of truth in them as the Light speaks to each of us. This same Light of Christ that works in those who follow Him, also works in those who have never heard of Jesus of Nazareth. In our worship we seek to be open to this Light and allow that of God in each of us to speak to our condition.

People, being human, are prone to conflict.:shrug:

Treat them as you would treat an Angel visiting from God. Because they just might be.:smiley:

I second all the responses:thumbsup:

To answer the question why I am under fire for the way I treat others of a different faith.

I come under fire when I make special efforts not to violate their religions in any way. Yes sometimes it takes alot of research and I am always doing research on this and other topics. People don’t see why I make the effort. I get asked alot if my efforts violate my own religion and to me my efforts always validate my religion and vice versa.

I feel sometimes as if I am missing something when it is people of my faith that say this to me or are the ones putting me under fire. But I always pray that may god grant me pardon if in any way I cause anyone to fall or to view my religion as anything as the spiritual love that it is.

We should all be like you in this S4Angel.

Thank you but I am nothing special. I just wanted to know why is it that people harrass others who respect anothers religion and profess to love that person?

I say it all the time. “People are weird…”

Anyone who knocks on my door with a religious message gets treated with kindness, respect, and tact.

Whatever I’m doing, I will stop and listen carefully to their message. I’ll politely ask them why they believe as they do and if they’ve always held that belief.

I will then politely ask them to respond to a few FAQ’s or criticisms that are often asked about their religion.

Once I’ve given them the courtesy of listening to their message,
I will then ask them what they understand about my religion. We’ll mutually go over a few points and share a few scriptures.

I will thank them for showing enough love of neighbor to take their time to do such a difficult work and we’ll part having had a nice, polite conversation.

I believe that how a person reacts someone who comes to their door really shows who they are inside.

Some people think we should be hard line in our approach to those of other faiths. But this is not the Gospel/Catholic model for witnessing to the truth.

Also, some people feel challenged by those who try to be loving to all because they cannot bring themselves to be so as well. In a word, envy turned into anger. Such people need to consult their confessors.

Hi

I agree with you, every human being whatever the faitn/denomination/religion/race/colour must be respected and loved, whether the person gets converted or not . Your approach is praiseworthy and peaceful.

Thanks

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.