- How to understand the Catholic argument- Evangelicalism is presently obsessed with

Please, may I have the explanation of this statement ?

I can not get , what does it mean ?

Obsessed with what? Im not clear on what you need help with.:confused:

Please, may I have the explanation of this statement ?

I can not get , what does it mean ?

It is required
You do awake your faith, Then all stand still
Or those that think it is unlawful business
I am about, let them depart.

( ‘‘The Winters Tale’’. William Shakespeare.)

Without the context it is impossible to say what Shakespeare was expressing within the play. Just because the word “faith” is there doesn’t necessarily mean he is talking abour religious faith, you know. :wink:

Besides, this is a man’s poetry, not holy Writ. It isn’t “Catholic” teaching just because Shakespeare wrote it or used the word “faith.” I too have no idea what you are driving at. :confused:

Sorry, I thought I deleted mu thread.
I meant this :

-Evangelicalism is presently obsessed with self-fulfillment, self-help, and oftentimes, outright selfishness, rather than the traditional Christian stress on suffering, sacrifice, and service.

Some people who go by the “evangelical” label in this country, are into the “health and wealth gospel” or “name it and claim it” … If you have enough faith and trust God, what ever you want will be yours … success, health, money, easy life, etc. I knew a very successful (career wise) evangelical who was convinced he was successful because he tithed. This is a long LONG way from “pick up your corss and follow me.”

You just described the human race;)

But we have the rights to the God’s Blessings.
The Blessings of the Abraham belongs to us !
I am the son of God. I am his child. What’s wrong with being healthy, wealthy, and blessed in all spheres of life ?
GOD’S PROMISES BELONGS TO US.

Sorry, its belong to the other thread.
I am preparing the material for the sermon, I made the few threads
can’t get what is what sometimes, Sorry.:eek:

Because it might be disastrous for your soul, and ultimately your very salvation. Besides, think of all the selfishness that goes into wanting things for themselves.

If we have a lot of things they ought to mean no more to us than having nothing at all. If not, they own us instead of us owning them.

God deserves first place in our lives not the things we think God should give us. And sons are disciplined by their fathers not just given things. We all know what a spoiled child is like. God doesn’t want that for us. He wants us to be rich in the things that really matter–the virtues not in houses or cars or other such things.

But why should we have fascination in suffering ?
The opinions of St. Augustine and Jerome about the suffering are the opinions of the Past.
The Christian Christian thought was developed during the History, and today in many Bible Schools You can hear that God tolerated but not permitted the suffering , and we must not suffer at all.
The Life full of Blessings belongs to us by God’s Promises.

If we didn’t have to suffer, what on Earth was Jesus saying when he said to us, “Whoever wishes to come after me must deny himself, take up his cross, and follow me. For whoever wishes to save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for my sake and that of the gospel will save it. What profit is there for one to gain the whole world and forfeit his life?”

Why on Earth would he tell His followers to take up his cross and follow Him. If we follow the Lord and take up a cross, we certainly should not plan on being blessed materially in this life. The only blessing we should look for is the honor of being given the privilege to suffer for our Lord, Jesus Christ.

GOD’S PROMISES BELONGS TO US…to share with the kingdom. To whom much is given, much is expected. Count your blessings if you are blessed, but remember from whom it came. :twocents:
Israel’s (the OT nation) downfall came from thinking that blessings were rewards for “good” lives lived and that attitude led them to hardships.

How to understand the Catholic argument-that
Evangelicalism is presently obsessed with self-fulfillment, self-help, and oftentimes, outright selfishness, rather than the traditional Christian stress on suffering, sacrifice, and service.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.