How to use anger

I know according to the Catholic Church anger isn’t a bad emotion. However I believe there is a fine line when someone acts in anger. What do you think would be an acceptable way of using anger in El’s eyes

What is EI?

I don’t know what “El” means.

Anger is an emotion. Our emotions are internal feelings about something. So, as you wrote - anger is not bad - emotions are not bad - anger is an emotion.

Our actions can be acceptable or sinful.

When you have a strong emotion and you think your action will be sinful - the acceptable way to act is to pray and take time to do deep breathing so as to relax your desire to act in a sinful manner. Take time to “think” before reacting or before acting.

The person may want to remove themself from the situation for awhile - maybe take a walk or other break.

Sometimes our emotions are intensified by not taking care of ourselves. What may feel very strong on one day may be a less intense emotion on a day in which the person is well rested, has had proper food, plenty of water to drink, and proper exercise.

If emotions are very high and there is a desire to act in a sinful way, setting that desire aside and taking care of one’s self may be helpful - especially if tired or have not eaten properly, etc. Afterwards, the person may find their sinful action is not the best course of action and they may think of a more productive way to address the issue.

El is short for Elohim. Which is Hebrew for my God that helps

I thought the Church believed it was a sin to get angry with our brothers. I guess I am not sure what the Church’s position is on anger.

He might have meant God. I think El is one of the Hebrew names for God (although I’m not sure why a Catholic would be using that…)

Anyway, I am not an expert but I think that anger does not become a sin until it is a willful choice. If someone says or does something hurtful and you get angry then that’s simply an emotional response and emotions are not sinful. But if you willfully remain angry and choose not to forgive the person then it becomes a sin.

If anger drives you to act unjustly, then that would be a sin (but the sin would not be “anger”… the sin would be whatever unjust act you committed).

El is the Hebrew word for God; it’s etymologically related to Allah, as a matter of fact, and to every other Semitic word for God. Elohim actually doesn’t mean “my God who helps,” but simply is the plural for “God.” It’s being used as somewhat of a majestic plural, i.e. a royal is addressed and addresses himself as “We.”

-ACEGC

I like your title, how to use anger, because it suggests that anger can be good. If we see some injustice or wrongdoing, anger may stimulate us to work for good, to solve the problem, to right the wrong. If, in your anger, you can love the sinner but hate the sin, you are “using anger” well.

Anger is not a bad emotion. Anger is a passion rooted on a desire for vengeance. Passions are disordered, a result of the fall and of sin, and its fruit is always bad. In heaven, we will be impassible, which means we will be able to love, but nothing will disturb us.

Regarding to anger, our Lord said:

Ego autem dico vobis, quia omnis qui irascitur fratri suo, reus erit iudicio.

But I say to you, that whosoever is angry with his brother, shall be in subject to judgment.

In the Epistle of St. Paul to the Galatians we are instructed:

The acts of the flesh are obvious: sexual immorality, impurity and debauchery; idolatry and witchcraft; hatred, discord, jealousy,** fits of rage**, selfish ambition, dissensions, factions and envy; drunkenness, orgies, and the like. I warn you, as I did before, that those who live like this will not inherit the kingdom of God.

Already by the VI Century, Pope Gregory the Great included ira, that is to say, anger, amidst the list of the “seven capital sins”, of which the Catechism says:

they are called “capital” because they engender other sins, other vices.

Refrain therefore from anger, as nothing worthy of Christ ever comes from it.

That is true an i think that what you are saying is correct, yet the anger I am speaking of is not one based on evil but just the feeling of anger which can be used for good or bad acts. Example I am angry you hurt me so I will punch you is obviously a bad act. I am upset with the state of American morality so I wiki strive to make it better this is an example of using anger to strive for the betterment of others. I do believe there is something called Righteous Anger which is show by El himself.

It’s ok to be angry sometimes, just don’t sin in your anger. And ideally it is good to be angry at sinful and evil things, like Jesus.

Yes, that. The “anger” you are talking about, OP, is an emotion…a healthy reaction to a stimulus that lets us know something is wrong, an injustice has occured, and the like. This natural amotion is a gift from God, no less than sorrow or joy. Anger, in this emotional sense, is an alarm for us and should trigger us to discern a reaction. The reaction is what can either be sinful or not. An ACT of anger can be a sin, as can holding a grudge, desiring revenge, witholding forgiveness, etc…the emotion is not.

Was Jesus angry when he cleansed the temple?

John 2:13-17 (New Revised Standard Version Catholic Edition)

The Passover of the Jews was near, and Jesus went up to Jerusalem. In the temple he found people selling cattle, sheep, and doves, and the money changers seated at their tables. Making a whip of cords, he drove all of them out of the temple, both the sheep and the cattle. He also poured out the coins of the money changers and overturned their tables. He told those who were selling the doves, “Take these things out of here! Stop making my Father’s house a marketplace!” His disciples remembered that it was written, “Zeal for your house will consume me.”

If you are angry, let it be without sin. The sun must not go down on your wrath; do not give the devil a chance to work on you

-Ephesians 4, 26

-ACEGC

I believe you refer to the idea of zeal, the ardent, burning desire for justice and order to be made present. As Aquinas says, zeal is “the vehement movement of one who loves to [secure] the object of his love”. As someone remarked, the Lord was full of zeal when He cleansed the courts of the Temple.

“Zeal, being love in action, just on that account tends to remove as far as lies in its power all that is injurious or hostile to the object of its love; since, though itself appertaining to the will, it presupposes an exercise of judgment as to the appropriate means for the attainment of its object, we must further distinguish true and false zeal, according as the judgment guiding it is sound or unsound. St. Paul’s zeal was zeal throughout, but it was false zeal in the days when he persecuted the Church, true zeal when he became its Apostle.”

St. Paul spoke of this when he said: “Caritas Christi urget nos”, “the love of Christ urges us”, and my favorite quote of Pope Francis so far is “Quieti esse non possumus”, “We cannot be at rest”. Indeed, zeal makes us live the militancy in the Church Militant, striving to bring forth the Kingdom and to confront the adversary. It is not just our soul we fight for, but the souls of all in need of salvation.

We must beware, though, to keep that holy feeling close to that of mercy, compassion…charity…so that you may be firm in upholding justice and bringing forth order, but at once meek and humble, remembering that ultimately what the Lord doesn’t will, He allows for a time, and that nothing happens in this Earth that He has not foreknown and included in the governance of His Divine Providence.

Please do not abbreviate. We can’t all guess what you mean.

El was originally a cannite god. Abraham’s god likely. Elohim is the plural form of Eloha. Bible archeology is very interesting.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.