How to use Lourdes water

My Nana gave me some Lourdes Holy Water today and I was wondering how you use it. I asked if it has been blessed by a priest but was unsure.

It doesn't need to be blessed.:thumbsup:

Just rub it on a place that is injured or sick.

My mum used to give a a little to drink if we were sick.

You don't need it blessed.

Just rub it on whatever is sick or injured.

Can this be any injury? Like a cut or bruize? Or can you drink some if you have a minor cold? :confused:

I was also wondering if you could use it to bless yourself or to sprinkle it on your bed before going to sleep?

Even if you leave it in the bottle, do so with the greatest faith that you can muster.

An anecdote: At a former parish about 15 years ago, we arrived at the Saturday vigil mass to find that, horror of horrors, there was someone sitting in our pew! It was a man with his children. Father announced after mass that a 33 year old mother of three had suffered a brain aneurism and was in a coma. Father asked all parishioners to pray for her. It was her husband and children that were seated in our “usual” spot. My wife was impelled to seek him out after mass and asked for his address. At home, we had some water from the grotto at Lourdes and she took it to their house. DW told him, “Educate yourself on this water and use it with all the faith that you have.” We then left.

DW works at a regional court and, one morning not long after, a very tired woman approached the front office window. She needed some documents, and apologized for her tiredness, as she had worked the night shift at an area hospital. DW asked her where, and she replied “Good Sam(aritan)”, which is the hospital where the woman had been taken after her aneurism. “I work in occupational therapy”, she said. DW asked her, 'Well, you must know Anne, then?" “Oh, yes, the nurse replied! She’s awake! Everyone loves her.”

A few months later, DW saw the husband at a local restaurant and asked about Anne. He told her that Anne was home, was dressing herself, and was trying to help out with the children. Later on, DW heard from Anne’s mother that the husband had used the water every night to make the sign of the cross on her forehead - and that he was LDS!

DW said that the Holy Spirit drove her to do what she did, as she had never done anything like that before. We never heard if the husband converted, but we suspect that he might have.

Anyway, you may use the water as you wish, as long as it is for a pious purpose. But, faith is the key.

I would not be inclined to drink Lourdes water. Don’t many people enter that water daily?

I certainly would bless myself with it.

[quote="Dorothy, post:6, topic:292879"]
I would not be inclined to drink Lourdes water. Don't many people enter that water daily?

I certainly would bless myself with it.

[/quote]

People only enter the pools. The water that you can take has not gone through the pools, but is from the spring, so it is spring water really.

I was lucky enough to go in the pools when I was 12 - 1972

I had very very bad asthma as a kid - this is before all the medication we have these days - and I went with a group of kids from the Shrewsbury Diocese with severe disabilities. I felt very upset to be included with the group since I looked "normal."

Anyway I went, and became part of the group, and learned that kids with disabilities were normal too.

I enjoyed the trip and would love to go back.

I prayed for a cure for my asthma. I think I got a cure, but not what I was expecting.

[quote="triumphguy, post:7, topic:292879"]
People only enter the pools. The water that you can take has not gone through the pools, but is from the spring, so it is spring water really.

I was lucky enough to go in the pools when I was 12 - 1972

I had very very bad asthma as a kid - this is before all the medication we have these days - and I went with a group of kids from the Shrewsbury Diocese with severe disabilities. I felt very upset to be included with the group since I looked "normal."

Anyway I went, and became part of the group, and learned that kids with disabilities were normal too.

I enjoyed the trip and would love to go back.

I prayed for a cure for my asthma. I think I got a cure, but not what I was expecting.

[/quote]

Thank you for the clarification about Lourdes water.

I have heard many people share about their cures at Lourdes, and there are many healings of a spiritual nature that takes place.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.