How to wear a Mantilla?

I’m not sure where to post this, so I’ll file it under Family life for now…

I’m posting this for my Wife…This is what she e-mailed me…

She has very, very straight, very fine, slippery hair. Fairly long (mid-back).

Does anyone have any ideas?

[quote=Isidore_AK]Does anyone have any ideas?
[/quote]

Harrison Ford style…staple-gun? kidding

PM Fashina86, she knows the deal.

Eamon

Try a haircomb or 2, put thru from the outside.

She can also try twisting two front sections of her hair back in order to create more thickness, if she wants to try bobbypins again.

She might also try criss-crossing two bobby pins (forming an X) and doing it in two or more different places (for example, by her ears and also at the top of her head). Unfortunately, most clips slide right out of really fine straight hair.

I don’t wear a mantilla, still considering it, but I’ve heard that using just basic scarves that can be loosely tied under the chin work well. I think you can buy specific scarves for this but I think any scarf could work…?

[quote=Princess_Abby]She can also try twisting two front sections of her hair back in order to create more thickness, if she wants to try bobbypins again.
[/quote]

this is what my mom and I do…

[quote=Fashina86]this is what my mom and I do…
[/quote]

Me too. Just make sure you use black bobby pins with a black mantilla and white or silver with a white one. :slight_smile:

[quote=Detroit Sue]Me too. Just make sure you use black bobby pins with a black mantilla and white or silver with a white one. :slight_smile:
[/quote]

:yup:

Having been a pre Vatican II Catholic for a good many years and living through the early part of my life having to cover my head in Church, I can only say that it sounds like a lot of bother to me.

We had lots of secret little ways to keep lace in place on top of the head.

You will never get my vote to go back to it, though.

Why would anyone want to adopt this habit again? A good reason other than vanity? Back in those days, you rarely went anywhere without hat and gloves. It was style. More women wore hats to church than they did chapel caps or mantillas.

I notice you didn’t ask if it was out of humility. :frowning:

On the rare occasions I forget my headcovering I feel disrespectful and naked. I have a true calling to it. It has nothing to do with vanity.

I notice you didn’t ask if it was out of humility. :frowning:

On the rare occasions I forget my headcovering I feel disrespectful and naked. I have a true calling to it. It has nothing to do with vanity.

[quote=Detroit Sue]I notice you didn’t ask if it was out of humility. :frowning:

[/quote]

I didn’t even think of humilty.
I always thought of humility as being in the heart and actions not in what we wear.
Hmmm, food for thought.
Could you explain, please. I truly do not get it.

Humility as in submission to God. As in modesty. I found your comment interesting, because if you are meek and humble of heart, wouldn’t you suppose that would automatically reflect in your exterior life? I think if you asked any woman here why she covers her head, you would not get one reply stating “vanity.” I’m sorry you have such distaste for this.

[quote=robertaf] More women wore hats to church than they did chapel caps or mantillas.
[/quote]

The mantilla, as a head covering for church, was not popular until around 1959-60 when Jackie Kennedy became a press item. She apparently disliked hats and only wore them under duress, mostly after she became First Lady.

Even as a teenager at the time I rarely wore anything but hats until the late 1960s, when I gave up because there were no more decent hats! I occasionally flirted with mantillas but never took them seriously because they just seemed to me to be nothing but lace babushkas.

When I wore them, I pinned them using La Chiara’s technique. Good luck.

I wish they would bring the mantillas back to the Church, i think they are so lovely and humbling…just my :twocents:

[quote=robertaf]Having been a pre Vatican II Catholic for a good many years and living through the early part of my life having to cover my head in Church, I can only say that it sounds like a lot of bother to me.

We had lots of secret little ways to keep lace in place on top of the head.

You will never get my vote to go back to it, though.

Why would anyone want to adopt this habit again? A good reason other than vanity? Back in those days, you rarely went anywhere without hat and gloves. It was style. More women wore hats to church than they did chapel caps or mantillas.

[/quote]

um…my understanding is that the mantilla is worn in modesty for our Lord, not for ANYTHING having to do with vanity!!! :slight_smile:

[quote=TarAshly]I wish they would bring the mantillas back to the Church, i think they are so lovely and humbling…just my :twocents:
[/quote]

Who are “they?” If you like mantillas and feel that they contribute to the expression of your faith in a way that is consistent with humility, then what’s stopping you?

I tried this for the first time today! First Friday! At lunch, after mass, Fr. wanted to know what happened to my blonde hair! :wink: Turns out, during Mass he was trying to figure out why my hair wasn’t dark brown as usual and figured I must have died it blonde! I had to tell him that I was trying out the whole head covering idea. We laughed about it. :smiley:

Anyway, I thought another idea to keep the thing on would be to attach it to a headband (either hot glue it or wrap the end around and sew). I think I might try this myself, as I lost mine once during Mass when I had to wrangle with the kids.

I have very straight, slippery hair too. What works for me is this:

I take these two pretty bobby pins that I got from Walgreens. They each have a fake pearl on the end. I put the veil on, and put each bobby pin into both my hair and the edge of the veil, just above my ears.

The important thing is to have bobby pins with good tension, so they pinch the veil and hair together. I also have my hair pulled back in some way, either a ponytail, bun, or braid. I think it also helps that I wear glasses, because the earpieces kind of help to keep things in place.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.