How to wear the Red Scapular of the Sacred Heart?

My atheist brother bought me a Red Scapular of the Sacred Heart, but it didn’t come with any further information nor was I able to find any readily available for it. It has an image of the Sacred Heart of Jesus on one side/end and an image of Our Lady of Guadalupe on the other.

I thought it was really nice of him to do that for me, given that he doesn’t really understand my faith regardless of how often or by which method I explain it; I’d love to wear it appropriately as I continue to pray for him. Does anyone have any info on how to get invested and what obligations are attached to it?

I’ve never heard of this.
I’ve only ever heard of the brown scapular of Our Lady of Mt Carmel.

Wikipedia is good for casual research though, is this it?

There’s also the green one.

I did go to Wikipedia, but only got the information that it is approved (in 1900) and about its origin. But, nothing further.

Also, that’s the Red Scapular of the Passion (associated with the Lazarists), which is different. That one has images and symbols of the Passion (the Cross and nails) on one side and the Sacred Hearts of Jesus and Mary on the other, but mine is only the Sacred Heart of Jesus (Christ touching His Heart) and Our Lady of Guadalupe.

And the scapular of Prémontré. https://shop.norbertinesisters.org/gift-shop/religious-articles/medals-and-scapulars/scapular-of-premontre/

I don’t know, but maybe your’s is a red scapular of the Passion, with some “artistic freedom.”

I did also find a site that discusses, in further depth, the visions which led to the creation of the scapular and the discussion between Pope Leo XIII and the visionary. I have also discovered that it was approved by a decree of the Sacred Congregation of Rites on April 4, 1900. If I can find that decree (or someone who has better access to that sort of thing), I know that this question can be answered.

Just get it blessed and start wearing it. What a lovely thing for your atheist brother to do.

You can apply your own rule to it. Pray whatever you feel drawn to pray. Pray for your brother too.

closed #9

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.