How true is "qualifies those who are called"?

You know the old maxim: He does not call the qualified, He qualifies those who are called. I may have paraphrased it or completely jumbled it but you get the point.

How true is it? I don't mean.. Well, put it this way. If I actively work with God in overcoming the obstacles I have as a man, as a human being and as someone in the world how much.... no, that won't come out right.

Grrr. It's hard to put into words what I am trying to ask/say.

You could use Peter as an "original" example, without going back into the Old Testament.

Peter was definitly NOT qualified before he was chosen. His qualification came through many trials. We are subject to the same trials.

God calls all of us but in different ways.to the tribesman in the Amazon he calls him to obey the natural law that God puts in all of us.Yes,he gives us all grace.If you are born Catholic most likely you are called to be Catholic.Not all people are called to be Catholics.He calls some to be a religious.Most answer the call but since each has free will some don’t.Christ said I chose you ,you didn’t choose Me.Which means HE chose you first and then you respond to choose Him.However we never know positively if we are called unless Jesus appears to you and tells you.But many people who say they do this or that because they were called (or felt the were called) are probably right IMO since I’m Catholic and I do believe God choose people for certain things(priest,married,ect.)Some people may be called more than once in a certain sense.He may say he is called to preach the gospel and he’s a baptist preacher.Maybe later he converts to Catholicism.He was called to Christ in the 1st place .In the 2nd place Christ called him to join the Catholic Church.Some people are called to be martyrs for the Church.But not the majority in the sensse of actually dying for the faith.Jesus said"Of man born of woman no one is greater than John the Baptist.Yet even the smallest in Heaven is greater than he."So if we consider John the Baptist is a saint(which he is) just imagine how great each one of us are who gets to Heaven.

[quote="valentino, post:3, topic:239737"]
God calls all of us but in different ways.to the tribesman in the Amazon he calls him to obey the natural law that God puts in all of us.Yes,he gives us all grace.If you are born Catholic most likely you are called to be Catholic.Not all people are called to be Catholics.He calls some to be a religious.Most answer the call but since each has free will some don't.Christ said I chose you ,you didn't choose Me.Which means HE chose you first and then you respond to choose Him.However we never know positively if we are called unless Jesus appears to you and tells you.But many people who say they do this or that because they were called (or felt the were called) are probably right IMO since I'm Catholic and I do believe God choose people for certain things(priest,married,ect.)Some people may be called more than once in a certain sense.He may say he is called to preach the gospel and he's a baptist preacher.Maybe later he converts to Catholicism.He was called to Christ in the 1st place .In the 2nd place Christ called him to join the Catholic Church.Some people are called to be martyrs for the Church.But not the majority in the sensse of actually dying for the faith.Jesus said"Of man born of woman no one is greater than John the Baptist.Yet even the smallest in Heaven is greater than he."So if we consider John the Baptist is a saint(which he is) just imagine how great each one of us are who gets to Heaven.

[/quote]

Don't believe just anything you read on these boards. EVERYONE is called to know, love and serve Christ to the highest degree of becoming a Saint. The fullness of Truth is in the Catholic Faith and ALL are called to the Faith, but not all know of the Church, or accept it, etc. etc. God will judge based on what little people knew and accepted of the Faith.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.