How was Christmas Mass?

I went to Midnight Mass tonight, and it was so beautiful. We sang all of the old carols with as much musical accompaniment as possible. It was such a beautiful way to welcome the baby Jesus! The attendance was pretty high too. How was your Mass?

We had a candle-lit lessons and carol series preceding our mass.
I heard the Huron Carol for the first time on a Christmas carol thread this year and really enjoyed it. Our schola sung it at mass and their verson was outstanding…:thumbsup:
A blessed Christmas to all! Amen.

[quote="CatholicZ09, post:1, topic:309359"]
I went to Midnight Mass tonight, and it was so beautiful. We sang all of the old carols with as much musical accompaniment as possible. It was such a beautiful way to welcome the baby Jesus! The attendance was pretty high too. How was your Mass?

[/quote]

More or less same thing. (Including the carols! :D)

Very pretty, packed.

[quote="CatholicZ09, post:1, topic:309359"]

[/quote]

I went to Mass twice for Christmas, on Christmas Eve in my parish (OF) and again this morning in the EF.

Mass last night had traditional carols and the church was about half-full. Mass was at 8pm and was the second Mass of the evening - there had already been a Mass at 6pm designated as a "family Mass". So there weren't many young children at the Mass I attended. We also had a choir, which was an unusual experience for my parish in recent years. The EF Mass I attended was a Low Mass, with 30 to 40 people in attendance. No carols/hymns of any kind, very quiet.

It was amazing. Our parish very, very tiny, and we attended a new “bilingual Mass” that Father was so good as to provide. It was only a few of us, but it felt so intimate and special.

Father, who doesn’t speak much Spanish, muscled through much of it in Spanish. His is a single priest parish with 3 locations, so he was tired and still had the 7:30 p.m. and then Christmas Day Mass. At the last minute, he realized the person who was to translate his homily did a no-show. Hearing my husband speak Spanish (he is anglo but a self taught bilingual), he was recruited to greet, hand out Spanish language hymn lyrics and beg arrivals to sing as all but 3 singers had arrived), he asked my husband to substitute. My son (16 with Down syndrome) was thrilled to see his Dad stand and translate the homily!

Two little ones broke away from their parents one at a time to run up and gaze at the statue of the Virgin of Guadalupe. Other than that (and they were precious beyond words), the service was quiet, solemn and prayerful. Everyone forgave Father’s atrocious pronunciation and realized how brave he was to get through this, especially in light of a grueling Mass schedule. One or two other older couples who came to this earlier Mass didn’t even speak Spanish, but participated in English and were warmly embraced for their attendance.

No music - we sang acapela. I did my best to support the choir - they were so pleased that I tried and that I could at least read and pronounce the Spanish words.

Somehow it felt we all pulled together, most of us strangers, to make this Eucharistic celebration a good one. We went to this solely because it was an earlier Mass and our truck is old and the dark country roads treacherous. But it turned out to be a wonderful Christmas blessing. Never have we felt so embraced by our fellow parishioners as we left everyone with handshakes, hugs and Feliz Navidads.

Packed. We had two masses at 4:00 p.m. on Christmas Eve--a regular Mass and a family Mass. My husband ushed at the regular Mass, and I played at the Family Mass. Both were overflowing packed, and my husband said that they kept sending people over to the Family Mass because the regular Mass was so packed.

Beautiful Family Mass.

I had back surgery on the 111th, and wouldn't be able to sit through Mass. I checked with my parish priest before surgery, and I'm dispensed until my recovery progresses more.

That being said, yesterday afternoon, our deacon brought me Holy Communion at home. It was wonderful.

I watched the Mass from the Vatican in segments (the liturgy of the Eucharist yesterday afternoon, and the liturgy of the Word this morning.)

Midnight Mass has always been one of the highlights of my year. While it wasn't the same for me this year, and I was afraid I'd just have to "make do," it was more than adjusting to current conditions: I did not feel excluded or marginalized in any way.

This afternoon we're picking up a couple of turkey dinners from Boston Market, and will eat them in front of the computer on a Skype call with the rest of my family.

I'm very grateful: My surgery was successful, I am recovering, and I'm still getting to celebrate the Nativity of Our Lord within my current capabilities. In fact, tomorrow, I'll be sending in a Mass request to my parish in thanksgiving for favors received.

God bless all of you at Christmas, and I hope you all feel as blessed as I do!

My parish had 4:00 pm Mass and 9:30 pm mass. Everyone mostly went to the 4:00 one, and it was packed. I went to the 9:30 one, not alot of people :) But the Mass was beautiful :)

I was in joy when the altar boys taken out the incense!

[quote="sojo, post:6, topic:309359"]

Two little ones broke away from their parents one at a time to run up and gaze at the statue of the Virgin of Guadalupe. Other than that (and they were precious beyond words), the service was quiet, solemn and prayerful.

[/quote]

We had a runner at my parish, too. Near the end of the sermon, a toddler broke free of his pew and made a mad dash straight for the priest! The mother ran after him and caught him before the kid reached the altar. :)

Other than that, we had horns, drums, bells, and solemn carols in English and Latin.

Merry Christmas!

Over.

It went well though. Unfortunately my enthusiasm is waning. I am on nights and I had to roll out of bed early this morning for my son. I still have on more Mass in a few. Minutes. Trying to stay away. Trying… to… sta…zzzzzzzzzz.

:rotfl:

Since our choir director comes quite a distance and had family commitments which prevented him for being there, our EF Mass was a low mass. As Peter, Father, and I processed in, Father lead us in O Come All Ye Faithful. As we recessed at the end of Mass, he lead us in Joy to the World. According to a program I saw in the sacristy, those two hymns were also sung at at least one of the OF Christmas Masses.
In the EF the next 3 Sundays will be the Sunday after Christmas, Epiphany, and Holy Family. We plan to have incense those three times, and, if enough of the other servers are there, I will have two of them be torch bearers.
Merry Christmas, Everyone!

Went to midnight mass complete with the full choir, our church was so packed that some people were standing, it was a beatiful event.

There were too many holiday Catholics who didn’t know the new translations and wouldn’t be quiet for the whole mass. Other than that fine.

Not what I expected. I sat down, next to a woman whom I had said next to last Sunday. However, people sat in the pew in front of us; they had a newborn baby and two toddlers. The toddlers kept talking, but not very loudly so it didn't bother me, however, two women (the mothers of the toddlers, I assume) kept laughing and talking (not very loudly, although you could tell they were doing it) during the homily. Eventually, the toddlers started getting restless and talking loudly, laughing, eating, and complaining. Something I found particularly upsetting was the the mothers talking with their children during the Liturgy of the Eucharist. I tried to move my mind from dwelling upon it, but it was distracting; eventually it got too distracting and, as the congregation was up for Communion, I went to a different pew for the end of the Mass. As I was sitting in the different pew, the little boy who kept talking eventually starting yelling and the priest, in a joking manner during his final words before the end of Mass, said he knows he's spoken too much because the children are restless (I believe). Before the priest blessed the congregation, I began to smell something, and it was noticeable that the newborn needed a diaper change.

I know I should remove the log from my eye instead of pointing out the specks in others', but their actions removed my attention from Mass and I felt out of place because I couldn't remember some words as they were loud, distracting, and, to me, upsetting. It appeared to distract the woman next to me as well. I felt horrible for feeling this way in the presence of the Lord, but I couldn't help it. :(

Hopefully Sunday will be better.

My suburban church was overflowing. It is usually full, but tonight the Christmas Catholics showed up. Many of them in their early 20's. The choir sang beautifully, accompanied by an organ, a small strings section and bell ringers.The Archbishop delivered a very good Christmas sermon, but his sermons are usually good. There was some more singing at the end, and most people lingered a bit instead of rushing to their cars, as is the custom here.
Before the Mass began, a young couple, dressed as Mary and Joseph walked around the church with a baby in their arms. I guess this was supposed to be a living nativity scene.

[quote="Immacolata, post:16, topic:309359"]
Not what I expected. I sat down, next to a woman whom I had said next to last Sunday. However, people sat in the pew in front of us; they had a newborn baby and two toddlers. The toddlers kept talking, but not very loudly so it didn't bother me, however, two women (the mothers of the toddlers, I assume) kept laughing and talking (not very loudly, although you could tell they were doing it) during the homily. Eventually, the toddlers started getting restless and talking loudly, laughing, eating, and complaining. Something I found particularly upsetting was the the mothers talking with their children during the Liturgy of the Eucharist. I tried to move my mind from dwelling upon it, but it was distracting; eventually it got too distracting and, as the congregation was up for Communion, I went to a different pew for the end of the Mass. As I was sitting in the different pew, the little boy who kept talking eventually starting yelling and the priest, in a joking manner during his final words before the end of Mass, said he knows he's spoken too much because the children are restless (I believe). Before the priest blessed the congregation, I began to smell something, and it was noticeable that the newborn needed a diaper change.

I know I should remove the log from my eye instead of pointing out the specks in others', but their actions removed my attention from Mass and I felt out of place because I couldn't remember some words as they were loud, distracting, and, to me, upsetting. It appeared to distract the woman next to me as well. I felt horrible for feeling this way in the presence of the Lord, but I couldn't help it. :(

Hopefully Sunday will be better.

[/quote]

This more or less sums up how it always is on every holiday. Many "holiday" Catholics come back for their two day a year requirement and you get some who are completely disrespectful and are distracting. On Sunday they'll be gone and things will be back to normal.

The Christmas masses at both of the churches I worked at and attended were absolutely beautiful. All of them were packed and the priests gave lovely homilies. At one church they had the organ, strings, trumpet and singers, which I was part of. There was about a half hour of prelude music, singing Christmas favorites and also instrumental Christmas music. The other church had a family mass, which I couldn’t attend since I was working at another parish, then a later mass, a lessons and carols and then midnight mass, all of which I participated. They had a brass quartet, timpani, organ, one violin for prelude solos and a vocal sextet of professional singers. The music for the Lessons and Carols consisted of carols and also classical vocal solos and duets for those of us in the sextet. We sang parts from the Mozart Coronation Mass for the Kyrie and Agnus Dei and then their normal congregational settings for the rest of the mass parts, which were made very nice by the addition of the brass and timpani. (And that’s a big thing coming from me who isn’t really a fan of that particular mass setting.) The congregation sang their hearts out. With all of the instruments and people singing for the congregational parts, you couldn’t even hear yourself sing. I was “working” from about 2:00 p.m. to 2:00 a.m. yesterday and this morning and had about 4 hours of sleep before my children woke up, but it really was such a wonderful and spiritual experience for me.

What I really loved about the earlier masses (and even at the midnight mass where people brought their babies) were the number of children. It was such a joy and delight to see so many children with their parents. Their presence, movements and sounds made me feel even closer to God, reminding me that they are the next generation of Catholics and how alive those parishes are.

We went to our Church’s Children’s Christmas Mass. My 7 yr old loves, the children of the school did a pageant before the mass and then they constituted the choir for the mass. Our church was absolutely gorgeous and Father re-issues an invitation and a plea for the twice a year Catholics; which there were plenty of to come back full-time to the Church and that they are not meeting their obligation as Catholics. I was thankful that they were there and hopefully our Priest’s plea got through to some.

The mass was beautiful, they children sang well and did the Gloria in Latin. We had Santa come in as a bishop and kneel down before the altar and Father’s dog Mickey was brought to Santa dresses up as a reindeer; this was done in a respectful manner Father is very orthodox and even celebrates one TLM every Sunday.

God Bless

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.