How was/is your path to the priesthood or religious life?

When did you first know you wanted to enter the religious life?
Did you have any obstacles in the way?
What direction had your life been going before you entered the religious life?
Did you always want to be a religious?
What did your family say?
What did you worry about before entering?

When did you first know you wanted to enter the religious life?

I first thought about religious life when I was 24 years old and I made my mind up the next year that I would pursue it seriously.

Did you have any obstacles in the way?

I still have obstacles in the way. I am no longer discerning because I have a mental illness (depression/anxiety) that prevents me from functioning on a normal level required for religious. I had several of the communities I was interested in turn me away because of this illness. It took me a long time to figure out why, but I finally understood this year before I stopped discerning. Plus, I don’t feel called anymore

What direction had your life been going before you entered the religious life?

I never entered religious life but I was really close once. I thought seriously about pursuing a career working with animals, especially with big cats in Africa. I was going to school to major in Biology when I discovered religious life. I thought all along that I was going to get married and have kids before this point. Now that I am no longer discerning, I am back on the road to pursuing the career working with animals! :thumbsup:

Did you always want to be a religious?

No. I didn’t even know what a religious sister was until I was 24 years old and met some at a Young Adult retreat.

What did your family say?

When I was discerning, I told my mom about 6 months into my discernment and she was very confused and upset about the idea of me entering a convent. No one in my family ever discerned a religious vocation and my mom kept telling me I shouldn’t lock myself up away from the world and abandon my family. Then as time progressed and through my gentle nudging, she became more and more supportive. I kept explaining to her what religious Sisters do and she understood that it was a very important ministry in the Church. My dad and sister really didn’t understand it, but they were supportive. My extended family on my dad’s side are not Catholic, but they were supportive. My mom’s side was pretty adamant that I would not succeed in religious life should I enter because of my personality.

What did you worry about before entering?

When I discerned entering a community after I applied, I worried about visiting my family and would I be able to spend time with them again. I also worried about being away from them in a faraway state.

closed #3

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.