How was Jesus tempted in the garden?

Fr. Mitch Pacwa was saying in his homily the other day that Jesus did not experience temptation from the inside, but only from the outside, which is what occurred when Satan tempted Jesus, and when St. Peter told Jesus not to say He would be killed. My question is, how was He tempted in the Garden of Gethsemane? It seems that that particular temptation was coming from inside Jesus.

Though His human nature was without sin, the terrors of death and sin which He was beginning to be afflicted with were ours, those of all humanity under the penalty and power of sin; with all the attendant weakness. Though He experienced these I ternary they did not originate in Him.

Fr. Mitch was speaking about Jesus’ temptation by Satan in the desert, I believe, and also by Peter acting as Satan would act (I listened to this homily also).

In the garden I recall he warned the disciples not to sleep, but to pray in order not to fall prey to temptation. But Jesus was not shown being tempted there, at least not described with those words. Since he gave his disciples the sacrament of his body and blood, he had already committed to proceed to the conclusion of the sacrifice.

Christ a st tempted in the garden.

Mel Gibson’s “Passion of the Christ” portrays our Lord as being tempted by the devil in the Garden. To paraphrase the devil, “No, don’t go through with it! The burden is too great!” etc. Whether Gibson (and/or co-writer Benedict Fitzgerald) got this from Bl. Anne Catherine Emmerich or from some other source, or whether it was their own idea, I do not know.

I have also often wondered about what was occurring in the Garden, especially when praying the Sorrowful mysteries. We know there was some type of “temptation”–for lack of a better word–because He asked that the cup be removed. Perhaps, it was because of the physical pain He knew He was going to endure. The epistle to the Hebrews states He faced the cross with joy. During the Last Supper, He stated He had been looking forward to eating this Passover with His disciples. It was when He entered the Garden that we see a change. I am sure this goes back to the Garden of Eden and Adam, but I’m still at a loss.

How about this:
[LIST]
*]Jesus called the disciples to watch and pray in order not to enter into temptation.
*]Jesus was awake and praying, therefore he was not entering into temptation, but making use of the “solution” he told to the disciples.
[/LIST]

Luke 14:13 concludes the 40 days in the Wilderness

13* And when the devil had ended every temptation, he departed from him until an opportune time.

It has been suggested that the opportune time [elsewhere the appointed time] was in the garden.

I have often thought that the greatest temptation there was to parade before him all those who would reject His sacrifice and render it useless.

For we do not have a high priest who is unable to sympathize with our weaknesses, but we have one who in every respect has been tempted in every way we are, yet without sin. (Heb 4:15)

Hi namax. :slight_smile:

I hope you don’t mind if I share some pieces regarding the ‘Agony in the Garden’ that I believe may help you.

The Passion - loveandmercy.org/Eng-TP-Reg.pdf
(Roman Catholic Imprimatur)

The Dolorous Passion of Our Lord Jesus Christ by Blessed Anne Catherine Emmerich - [Chapter 1 Jesus in the Garden of Olives ](“http://www.jesus-passion.com/THE_PASSION.htm#CHAPTER I”)
(Roman Catholic Imprimatur and Nihil Obstat)

http://s4.postimg.org/55fqrs88d/Christ_praying.jpg

I hope this has helped

God Bless

Thank you for reading
Josh

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.