How Was Your All Saints' Day Mass?

I attended the noon mass at my parish today. I think it was about 45 minutes instead of the usual Sunday hour mass. We didn't have a cantor or choir today. I enjoyed it though.

Mine was held at my Catholic high school. It was very nice and solemn. Happy All Saints' Day!

Mine was very nice. It centered around the students at the parish school who took over the readings, bringing of the gifts, ushers, etc. Father also targeted his homily to the youngsters. It was refreshing to see so many young people participating in the Mass.

Mine was with different priest than the usual few we have (we haven't had a parish priest for about a year and a half, so we get priests from the surrounding area to fill in).

Attendance was less than on a Sunday but not too bad, and the choir was there.

The priest tended to speak too loudly and in a monotone, with no facial expression. I wondered if he had Asperger's or something like that. His homily was solid and informative, which was very refreshing and edifying, but he said it all sitting down, which I had never seen or heard of before. Maybe he had some kind of infirmity that wasn't immediately obvious.

He had us say the Nicene Creed instead of the Apostles' Creed for a change, possibly just ignorant of how things are done in this parish. He used the First Eucharistic Prayer and even a little Latin (which I have never heard in this diocese) and even held his thumb and forefinger together after the consecration. Unheard of!

Unfortunately we used our parish's standard litany of the saints, including such figures as King Hussein, Martin Luther King, Jr., and Mahatma Gandhi. Fortunately they cut it short and we didn't get to Johan Sebastian Bach, which always makes me crack up. If you don't laugh you cry I guess.

In all it was a strange but good mass by local standards.

Pastor had a wonderful homily reflecting on how he met Blessed/Future Saint JP II and and I sat next to someone quite attractive, which assuaged my traffic woes.

Ours was very nice.

All the relics owned by our priests were on the altar, and icons of various Saints adorned the reredos.

Homily was great, on the need to persevere towards sainthood, how it is not easy.
Just before the final blessing, he reminded everyone of the indulgences offered for those who visit cemeteries over the next few days, tomorrow in particular and the need to pray for the dead.

Nursing home with saints soon to be and Anointing of the Sick.

It was great! My pastor wasn't available for some reason, so a visiting priest took over. The priest gave a wonderful homily. He discussed the commemoration of saints in the early Christian communities. My pastor gives awful homilies, so I'm glad I could get at least one good homily. :)

When our Priest was preaching (Im going to get this wrong, but it went something like this) he talked about how Saints with the help of our lord are there to set example of the power our faith and love has. And that their task did not end on earth but they are at Jesus's side right now still praying for and with us. He got me thinking of the catholic hierarchy in a military sense, which was pretty enlightening. Basically something like:

The Pope - The president
Patriarchs - 5 star generals
Major Archbishops - 4 star generals
Cardinals - 3 star generals
and so on...
and so forth...
The parishioners - Soldiers

The Saints - Medal of honour recipients

I've never thougth much about saints. For me they have just been encouraging stories and i've never prayed to any of them (Well except for Holy Mary Mother of God) but after this mass Im getting abit more encouraged to turn towards the saints and try it out.

Anyways, otherwise it was beutiful as always, even though the church was only filled to 50%, as opposed to its usuall 110% on sundays

The Mass at our parish church was about an hour long and included some singing, some Latin and some incense. I for one felt uplifted by the experience. Our priest beautifully linked the saints of old with the faithful of today.

I went to the 12:15pm Mass at the local parish. The parking lot was full, so I assumed that the church was going to be full, but the school children were having their All Saints Day costume parade, so the parents were there to take pictures and pick up the Kindergarten kids. There were less than 20 people inside (the school children went to Mass at 8am), and the pastor of the parish did everything himself with no one assisting and no choir or cantor. I felt so bad for him, but he was great. :slight_smile:

I'm in RCIA so I'm new to the Church and this is my first Holy Day since I found out there were Holy Days.

I normally go to Mass in Detroit although I live in the burbs. Today I went to the local Mass and it was quite different! The priest was a young and the Mass was in both Spanish and English. Things were done a bit differently than I am used to, but there were pamphlets to help visitors through. Some of the Mass was also in Latin, the priest bowed at every mention of Jesus Christ, the congregation was quieter than I am used to even counting the many kids there, the songs were different and we said the Nicene Creed instead of the Apostles Creed. Also, the Our Father was said by everyone all at once in whatever language they felt comfortable using so it was a tad chaotic, but still nice. Oh, and Father added prayers for more people to be called to the priesthood and added prayers for all the babies who have died before birth and before Baptism.

All in all it was a good Mass and I feel wonderfully happy and peaceful.

And, best of all, my teenager actually gasp sang with me!

Went to the 6:30am Mass and the church was packed! Great to see all the other early birds honoring the saints.

It was perfect.

I went to the 6:30 am Mass, which I frequently attend. The congregation was about double what I'd expect for a Friday morning, so not too bad. The Eucharistic Prayer was one I'd never heard before, and seemed to be specific to the feast. Mass started a few minutes early, so I was late, and went nearly an hour. It gave me a chance to practice the Creed and the Gloria with the not-so-new translation. I usually don't get to, as I attend my own Byzantine parish on Sundays.

Just like a Sunday Mass, with slightly fewer people (school's been out for almost two weeks so a lot of families are away). Father preached on the universality of the call to sainthood. In essence, "The saints are great and we're all called to be like them." That one-sentence description does no justice to the beauty and depth of Father's homily, however.

Organ and cantor (like all Sundays and HDOs).

Litany of the Saints in place of the Universal Prayer.

--> INCENSE <--:dancing:

There were no altar servers, probably due to the previously-mentioned school vacation, but we did have a visiting permanent deacon so Father was not without assistance.

Wonderful, beautiful Mass. As usual with our great blessing of a pastor. :thumbsup:

[quote="Aelred_Minor, post:4, topic:343892"]
Unfortunately we used our parish's standard litany of the saints, including such figures as King Hussein, Martin Luther King, Jr., and Mahatma Gandhi. Fortunately they cut it short and we didn't get to Johan Sebastian Bach, which always makes me crack up. If you don't laugh you cry I guess.

[/quote]

ROFL/ew. Wow.

[quote="YoungTradCath, post:17, topic:343892"]
ROFL/ew. Wow.

[/quote]

Yeah, what you said. :eek:

This was my first time celebrating All Saints' Day so I really have nothing to compare it to. I've only been to mass a few times at this parish and it didn't seem much different except there was a hint of incense. It was a bit different for me in that since I'm converting, I understand a little more of what's going on, so it's all new and exciting for me. And I really enjoy seeing my husband remembering his Catholic upbringing and how happy it makes him.

I went to noon Mass - the celebrant being a Priest from Apostles of the Interior, based at our Church for 1 year. His homily concerned a young Italian woman who will soon be canonized.

Up untli 2 years ago, I attended the 8:15 Mass - the 8th graders dressed as Saints; after the opening hymn we sang :when the Saints go marching in". Three students gave short biographies about the Saint they were proposing to be. My grandchildren are in high school now and I miss going to that Mass.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.