How were sinful popes infallible and how was Mary redeemed?

Hi;

I have some questions…

1. About Papacy;

“As some Catholic theologians (such as Father Fastiggi) agree, many corrupt Popes were ungodly, and they will be found in Hell…” so how can we say that all Popes have infallibility?

2)About Mary;

Lk 1:46 And Mary said: "My soul glorifies the Lord

Lk 1:47 and my spirit rejoices in God my Savior,

So How can we say that Mary is sinless…She said:“My Savior” Doesn’t it mean that she needs a savior? (so She is sinfull like all humans on earth)

Thank you…

Dear O,

Infallibility has to do with the Holy Spirit guarding the Church from teaching error. It has nothing to do with the personal sanctity of the popes. The fact that some popes were such scoundrels only testifies the more to the protection from error that the Church enjoys. Not one of those popes brought error to the Church’s teachings.

Since Jesus redeemed the human race and Mary is a part of the human race, then Mary was redeemed and Jesus is her Savior. Besides, it was only by His intervention that she was conceived without sin. He saved her from this.

Fr. Vincent Serpa, O.P.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.