How were you baptized?

I was reading a discussion on another thread about “sprinkling” versus full immersion baptisms. Out of curiosity I am interested in how and at what age people were baptized. Was it in a large pool by immersion? In a lake or ocean? Was your baptism public during the regular church service? Did you have Godparents/ sponsors? Were you baptized with others?

I was baptized at 2 weeks of age in a Lutheran parish. My uncle and aunt [since deceased] were my Godparents. As is the custom among Lutherans, the pastor used a simple seashell to pour the water over my forehead 3 times while naming the Holy Trinity. My sons were baptized in the same manner except they were also given a baptism candle and were anointed with holy oil. Baptism is considered a major sacrament for Lutherans.

Any Christians out there who have not been baptized?

I was baptized by immersion in a baptismal font in the chapel where we went to church. I was eight…and very excited about the whole thing. I don’t have many memories of being eight, but THAT one? yeah, I remember it. Every bit of it.

Baptism is a very big deal in the CoJCoLDS as well. :wink:

I do think I need to apologize again for the ‘sprinkling’ thing. It wasn’t meant to be offensive. Given that in my beliefs, infant baptism is not required (we absolutely don’t do it), and baptism by immersion IS required, I honestly didn’t see the difference between ‘sprinkling’ and ‘pouring.’ Neither one, in my POV, is appropriate.

Still, it seems to be a problem for those who do think that there’s a difference between ‘sprinkling’ and ‘pouring,’ so to them, I’m sorry and will be considerably more careful about this in the future.

Thanks Dianaiad

I was not offended by your comment about “sprinkling” because it is a perfectly acceptable way of baptizing among all Christians, I believe.

What is ‘CoJCoLDS’? .

“If you were Baptized off the end of a boat dock, you might just be a redneck.”

• Jeff Foxworthy

I was a little over 3 weeks old (born during Lent so had to wait a bit). My mom followed the adage that a baby’s first public outing should be for her Baptism :slight_smile:

Like EC, my baptism was Trinitarian with water poured three times and it was a public sacrament during our church service. I didn’t have a candle, but our church does use them now.

I wish this forum had a “like” button - will you settle for a :thumbsup:

I was baptized as a baby inside a Episcopal Church. So water was poured over my head three times in the name of the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit. When I became Baptist though, they made me get re-baptized since they don’t consider infant baptism and pouring valid. They dunked me under full immersion in the name of the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit. Although, that baptism was not valid since I had already been validly baptized. That baptism could have been valid if I hadn’t been baptized before. Now, I am Catholic, but since my baby baptism was valid and we had a certificate, no conditional baptism for me. :slight_smile:

Also, you can’t be a Christian unless you’re baptized. Baptism is what enters a person into the Christian faith. You’re Lutheran aren’t you? You should know that. Only a Baptist or Evangelical would say something like that. :confused:

Agree, that was hilarious! :smiley: Thanks SteveVH

Thanks Brad. And yes, I hesitated to use the word ‘Christian’ for unbaptized but didn’t want to offend others who call themselves Christian but don’t have sacraments.

True, I guess I didn’t really think of that.

Even tho I was raised in the Baptist church (with a brief stint in the Methodist church as an infant), I didn’t witness a baptism nor get taught about it until we started attending an independent Pentecostal church. I was 16 when I was baptized by full immersion, in the name of the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit.

Oddly enough, even tho baptism was taught as an optional, tho important ritual, I felt very strongly about it. Without knowing the Catholic theology, I somehow “knew” that baptism was very important.

I was baptized in the immersion tank of a Baptist church when I was a teenager. It was my decision to do so. Very interesting question. Thanks for posting it.

Wow, a lot of people on this thread have been Baptist in the past, I was one myself.

One of my favorite Jeff Foxworthy quotes. :tiphat:

Mine went a little something like this:

Quid petis ab Ecclésia Dei?

Fidem.

Fides, quid tibi præstat?

Vitam ætérnam…

And so forth

By water and the Spirit. There was no mention of a requirement for x gallons of water, or the method of application.:smiley:

ummm…we have a little church down the road that waits until the weather warms up and then takes all that are awaiting baptism to a little creek nearby. Our neighbor is the preacher and he invited us to go see the baptisms…all i could think was “REALLY!!!”

I was baptized at age 8 in an LDS Stake Center, which had a build in baptismal font (looks like a small swimming pool) with other children of the same age. We were all fully emerged, and if even a finger or piece of clothing was not immersed, the baptism had to be done over again. I remember one girl was baptized several times to get it right. She kept poking her foot out of the water! It was not during a regular church service, and Mormons don’t have godparents.

Since LDS baptisms are not valid for people being received into the Catholic Church, I was baptized in 2008 in a Catholic Cathedral, during Easter Vigil, standing in a baptismal font that was about 8-10" deep and the water poured over my head three times from a smaller font above. (The smaller font is used for infant baptisms.) There were about 9 other adults baptized that same night, and I had a sponsor/godparent.

I can’t help but mention scripture here and how baptism relates to it…

I was baptized about a week by pouring over my head in a baptismal font after I was born in 1960, so pre Vat II… My mother reported that she thought it was hard for her so early after delivery to attend to the matter of baptism as she was just recovering from childbirth and I was number 9 so she had more at home…, but I think that it was rather cool that it is similar to the Mosaic law to be brought to the temple for circumcision or given to God, just as my parents had given me to God on day 8.

All of that is really cool…:slight_smile:

Genesis 17: 12 For the generations to come every male among you who is eight days old must be circumcised, including those born in your household or bought with money from a foreigner–those who are not your offspring.

Leviticus 12: 3 And in the eighth day the flesh of his foreskin shall be circumcised.

Luke 1:59
On the eighth day they came to circumcise the child, and they were going to name him after his father Zechariah,

Luke 2:21
On the eighth day, when it was time to circumcise the child, he was named Jesus, the name the angel had given him before he was conceived.

Colossians 2:11-13

11 In him also you were circumcised with a spiritual circumcision,[a] by putting off the body of the flesh in the circumcision of Christ; 12 when you were buried with him in baptism, you were also raised with him through faith in the power of God, who raised him from the dead. 13 And when you were dead in trespasses and the uncircumcision of your flesh, God** made you[c] alive together with him, when he forgave us all our trespasses,

Exodus 22:30
Do the same with your cattle and your sheep. Let them stay with their mothers for seven days, but give them to me on the eighth day.

So mom, I am truly sorry cause I know it was tough on you, but I like that you did give us to God by having us baptized on the eighth day…:slight_smile:

Thoughts?**

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.