How widespread is it to reject the label "Christian"?

I’ve heard that Catholics in Mexico prefer not to be called “Christians.” Is this true? Is it true in other nations as well?

I try to be as specific as possible to avoid confusion. If someone asks me my religion, I say Roman Catholic. That tells you far more about my beliefs than if I just said Christian. Now if someone asks if I’m a Christian, I say yes.

Some Protestants will say that Roman Catholics are not Christians.

A lot of the time, it’s even true in the US. See, part of the problem is that many Protestant (especially in the Pentecostal and Baptist traditions) do not consider Catholics to be Christians. Christianity, of course, is multi-faceted, with the apostolic Churches (Catholic & Orthodox) making up the majority of the world’s Christians. Unfortunately, in many parts of the US and other parts of the world (including Mexico), the Baptist and Pentecostal traditions (which include most non-denominational churches and most megachurches) claimed the title of Christian to mean themselves, exclusively. When Catholics reject the name “Christian”, it’s not because they are denying Christ - it’s due to the usurpation of the term by the Baptist and Pentecostal tradition - and they’re rejecting being part of those traditions.

It’s also why sometimes, more educated Catholics insist on being called Catholic Christians - to emphasize that the Catholic Church is the fullness of the Christian faith.

I spend a lot of time here in the Philippines and was once watching a Protestant missionary engage her Catholic gym trainer at Fitness First.

She spoke eloquently and authoritatively about ‘faith alone’ and ‘not losing salvation’ and ‘following the bible’ and ‘avoiding the traditions of men’.

The trainer listened respectfully, all the while completely ignorant of the fact that the missionary was actually trying to criticise her Catholic faith.

I’ll never forget her response though when the American finished speaking. I nearly fell off my gym equipment with laughter.

In a friendly and innocent voice she answered the Protestant missionary… ‘yes, but you’re still Christian, right?’ :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

:lol:

The Mexican people have already suffered a horrible persecution for their Catholic faith, it was called the Cristero Rebellion when they rose up to restore it. They proudly label themselves, Catolicos.

I have a cousin that served as a missionary in Spain, he is Episcopalian. They labeled him, Protestant. He said he never got very far in changing any Spaniards faith. They were Catolicos.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.