How will I overcome Scrupulosity?

Hi,

I am a 19 year old college student who recently (about a year and a half ago) came back to the church. I go to confession on a regular basis, but I struggle with scrupulosity and Pure-OCD. Now every time I go to receive communion, I second guess myself. I never feel truly able to receive unless I just went to confession right before the mass! I know that others have asked this question and the answer is unless you are SURE you are in a state of mortal sin, you should receive. But my question is, what if I have a sin that I forgot to confess that keeps weighing on my heart? Others have said that once I become aware of a mortal sin I have forgotten, it is absolved but I should mention it in confession anyway. But where does it end? What if I suddenly remember a sin I committed 10 years ago? Do I really have to confess that too even if I have been to confession countless times since? To me this seems like a never-ending cycle. And I feel like if I DO confess these sins, i am somehow denying that God’s grace was enough the first time. The reason I ask this is because I have a specific sin that I committed about 8 months ago that I never thought of as a sin/forgot in every confession since. What makes this sin any different than the ones I committed as a young teenager that I have forgotten to confess? I feel like I am always in a state of mortal sin and sometimes I even question whether it is worth praying if I am cut off from God. It doesn’t help that other faithful catholics have told me that the same sins I consider mortal (like gossip), they consider venial-- I feel like every sin I commit is mortal. I am just so incredibly confused and my OCD does not help. Most of the time I end up taking communion no matter what because I am embarrassed not to take it in front of my family/I figure that if I am unsure about the state of my soul then it is okay. But then I end up confessing it out of my guilt anyway. I don’t know how to be free from this cycle of guilt/doubt that others seem to have no problem with. I just need to know that I am in good standing with God and that I am not constantly living in a state of sin because of things I did ages ago or things that I am not sure about!

Thank you!

These links should give you the answers that you need. If you have any further questions or concerns that are not answered by these links, please contact Catholic Answers directly.
Recommended Reading:
[LIST]
*]
Can I be sure I’ll be forgiven?**
]* What should I do regarding these scrupulous issues?**
]* Am I being scrupulous?**
]* Is the book “Understanding Scrupulosity” OK?**
]* How do I conquer scrupulosity?**
[/LIST]

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.