How will the "Saved" be saved?

The purpose of this post is to show the scriptural basis of the statement “Outside the Catholic Church there is no salvation”!

Since the Protestant reformation, we have had two categories of Christian believers – Catholic and non-Catholic (Protestant). In Mark 16:16, our Lord tells us: “whoever believes, and is baptized, will be saved, but whoever does not believe will be condemned”. In this statement there is a hidden question – “What exactly are we to believe”? This verse does not say. However, if we go to the end of Matthew’s gospel our Lord does tell us that we are to believe everything - everything He told the Apostles. “…teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. (Matthew 28:18-20).

If the apostles were commanded to teach us everything, then it is reasonable to expect that we are to believe everything they proclaim to us, Christ commissioned the apostles to teach everything, and He made it clear that we are to listen to them. Christ said “He who hears you hears Me, he who rejects you, rejects Me, and he who rejects Me rejects Him who sent Me” (Luke 10:16).

From the foregoing discussion we see that to be saved we must believe everything that Christ taught. Recall the second half of our lord’s statement from Mark 16:16. “…but whoever does not believe will be condemned”. Looking at the things Protestants do not believe (or incorrectly believe). They do not believe in the Real Presence of Christ in the Eucharist (John 6: 40-59; 1 Corinthians 11:23-29), they do not believe in five of the seven sacraments that Christ instituted, including confession of sins - John 20:19-23, and 2 Corinthians 5:18-12. They wrongly believe in private interpretation of scripture, which the Bible condemns (2 Peter 1:20, and 3:16). They do not believe in Purgatory, etc. They may claim to be believers, in reality they are not. So what will be the fate of these non-believing “believers”? Objectively speaking, they will not be saved!

Notice I said objectively speaking. In the end, only God can know what a person understands. The point I am making is why take a chance on a man-made church, a man-made system of theology that for the last 500 years has produced one error upon another, an accumulation of hundreds of errors that has splintered into thousands of Protestant churches (see attached chart by Time-Life Magazine), teaching ideas that were never taught by the early church, or the apostles. For 2,000 years, the Catholic Church has always taught the same unchanging truths of Christ, from the time of the apostles till today - free from error as Christ promised - “And know that I am with you always, even to the end of the world” (Matthew 28:20). Also see Matthew 16:18.

If we are to be saved, we must accept all of Christ’s teachings, not just the ones we like. We cannot be cafeteria Christians – picking and choosing what we will believe or not believe. We cannot be Burger King Christians – having it our way. The last thing we should want to do, is leave this life singing “I Did It My Way”.

zeland

2 Likes

the Catholic church does not hold what you say in the first sentence.

1 Like

She sure does.

Full Question
Do non-Catholic Christians’ souls go to heaven?
Answer
Those who were not in full communion with the Catholic Church in this world, if they died in God’s grace, surely go to heaven after the purifications of purgatory. They may experience less help from the living while they are being purified, because they may have belonged to communities that do not pray for the departed; but as to their destiny, they are the same as those who were Catholics in this world. In fact, no one is a “non-Catholic” in the world to come, because everyone recognizes the truth of the Catholic Faith.

1 Like

Read the Catechism.
Everyone has a chance at heaven, Catholic or not.

3 Likes

This is such a tired and oft repeated subject I’m not going to post any further.

2 Likes

Yeah, and any non-Catholic that gets saved is because of the graces that come from the Catholic Church, most notably Holy Baptism. So, the first statement still stands.

1 Like

There is also invincible ignorance.

So said the pot to the kettle…kind of like if the USA told other colonial peoples to remain subservient to their European colonizers…you have to realize just how Christianity (pot) started, in respect to whom she was birthed from (kettle-Judaism)…the pot was certainly accused of being fast fooders singin Frank Sinatra

1 Like

Another thread that reveals the truth that using the term Protestant to describe theology or practice is folly.

Lutherans and Anglicans believe in the real presence.
Anglicans believe in seven sacraments. Lutherans practice all seven.
Catholics regularly practice private interpretation. I’ve been here at CAF for over a decade. I’ve seen it often.
Define Purgatory. Many believe in cleansing/ purgation.
And your claim that they are not believers is not only contrary to your own Catechism, but to state it as such violates the 8th commandment.

2 Likes

You should be busted for this by C.O.P’s …lol…where are the Orthodox in this?..They do not believe in that decree of Papal infallibility/head bishop over all others, or is this too minor and forgivable, like in horseshoes, oh so close to the truth ?

Absolutely.

“To those who are knowledgeable of the Lord’s precepts, keep them, as many as are written”, Barnabus

very good…to show from scriptural basis

Please add that Jesus taught scripturally that Mary was immaculately conceived and that she was assumed up to heaven…objectively speaking one must believe this, or one can not knowingly reject it to be saved

True, but I had to shorten the post so it would fit the 3200 word limit.What I printed here was about half of the original.

Z

??? The article that this post came from was only dealing with Protestants, not the Orthodox. This post li less than half or the original article.

Z

If Anglicans and Lutherans believe in the real presence, then why don’t they have it?

Z

1 Like

They do. …

1 Like

I dont mean this in an accusatory manner - are there any Anglican or Lutheran Eucharistic miracles?

Ok…but lol…as long as you don’t say there would not be enough posts to contain everything He taught

Sure. Every Eucharist is a miracle

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.