How would i respond to this?

“I know you don’t believe the cross paid for everything, but I believe it did. We don’t have to add anything to His work except our faith that He is who He says He is and did what He said He did.”

I’ve mentioned in previous posts that you have to eat the lamb, His death on the cross was just the beginning.
than i got bombarded with this…

M - “its a huge problem in churches today…that nobody stands up for what they believe. They use the very worldly argument 'thats what you think, this is what I think and to each his own”

L - “and that is why there is SO many different christian faiths”

M - “Well there isn’t…there is just one Christian faith…we humans just can’t seem to agree on which it is”

L - “that is where history and the fore fathers wisdom come into play”

E - “We are all cursed with an error of some sort. God alone knows the total truth. Our job is to DILIGENTLY seek out the truth, with the proper mind-set in doing so (for the glory of God) and then live our lives to the best of our ability while we maintain God in the for-front of our lives.”

M - “I agree E.”

M - "I disagree with you though, L …the truth is found in God’s Word, not in what men have said or people have done in the past. "

E - “I’ll have to back M on that one”

any thoughts?

Yes, the truth is found in God’s word… but who did God call to discern which books were to be deemed as “God’s Word”?
Those people were the bishops in Rome!.. the unbroken succession of the Catholic Church!
Christ formed a CHURCH first… and in turn the Holy Spirit guided that church in putting together the books of the Bible… many years AFTER Christ died… and AFTER Christ had established Peter as the first Pope.

Here are some great links on Catholic Answers about Scripture and Tradition…
catholic.com/library/scripture_tradition.asp

Hope that helps!

thanks Emily. I am now debating if i should drop it, or post back.

Yeah, he’s completely right, lol. Why don’t you use God’s Word to show him…

lol, i would LOVE to, but they throw God’s word right back at me! and i’m not good at debating bible quotes :smiley:

Same here! lol

well i did it… i might be coming back here for help but please in the meantime say a prayer for me to be kind. thanks.

this is what i wrote
Ok I have to post this cause it has been nagging at me all night and again this morning. PLEASE don’t take any of this in a nasty voice sound… I’m just posting because I have to at this point. I love all you dearly, but as D earlier posted I don’t believe that the death of Christ on the Cross was all that had to be done. I will state right now, I believe this was just the beginning for us. As I stated in an earlier thread, you could not just kill the lamb and not eat the lamb for your salvation. Jesus was the perfect lamb, but you have to EAT the lamb. We even see in John 6 that everyone walked away from Him when He said this. It was just too disgusting for them to even think of, much less to do.

Another thing that I will disagree with everyone on this board is this issue. That the Bible is the only rule of faith. I need to know which books belong in the Bible in the first place. Please prove to me that we have the authority to interpret the Bible ourselves.

Emily I went to that site and I sure am praying I’ll have all the info I need once I start getting slammed for my strong Catholic beliefs!

We don’t have the authority to interpret the Bible ourselves, which is a huge difference between the Catholic church and all the other Christian denominations out there.

Sounds like you’re off to a good start with that post above! :thumbsup:

You’ll be in my prayers… good work! :slight_smile:

Maybe this will help.

Luke 10:16 **Whoever listens to you listens to me. Whoever rejects you rejects me. And whoever rejects me rejects the one who sent me." **

He who listens you (not “who reads your writings”), listens to me. The oral word passes from Jesus to the apostles to their successors by the gracious gifts of the Holy Spirit. This succession has been preserved in the Holy Catholic Church.

There is alot more Scripture at the website below. I got that one under oral tradition.

Peace,

Ryan :slight_smile:

thanks for that info! not one of them has responded to me. i guess no one wants to defend their faith? i probably made them all uncomfortable with bringing it out into the light. lol :wink:

i just heard of another site from catholic radio and thought i’d pass it on

www.biblechristiansociety.com/

Sorry to answer your question WITH a question, lol, but can anyone here tell me how to rebut to that kind of claim? Claims being: that Jesus’ sacrifice was the ONE work that is needed to forgive all our sins once and for all that any attempt to do good deeds (in a system of grace) to attain justification/salvation is an indication that we don’t think His sacrifice was sufficient? :mad: :mad:

Dietrich Boenhoffer wrote in his book The Cost of Discipleship about the difference between cheap grace and costly grace. Cheap grace says Christ died for my sins. There’s nothing I need to change. Costly grace calls for conversion of the heart. It recognizes the gift of the cross and what it means. It requires a faith response that is revealed in the life we live as a result of the gift received. Our life reflects what we value.
Jesus warned, “It is not the one who cries 'Lord, Lord” who will enter the kingdom of heaven but rather the one who does the will of the Father."
Boenhoeffer, a Luthern, died a martyr’s death at the hands of the Nazis. What are you willing to do when you find the “pearl of great price”?

Re:haskilee (#4)—“If you don’t stand for something, you will fall for anything.”

“Sorry to answer your question WITH a question, lol, but can anyone here tell me how to rebut to that kind of claim? Claims being: that Jesus’ sacrifice was the ONE work that is needed to forgive all our sins once and for all that any attempt to do good deeds (in a system of grace) to attain justification/salvation is an indication that we don’t think His sacrifice was sufficient?”

www.biblechristiansociety.com/2min_apologetics.php?id=10

Relying on your own interpretation for one’s own theological beliefs is just peachy. Believe what you want.

The problem starts when you, because of pride (my interpretation, my minister’s interpretation, etc.), think you know better than the people who passed Christianity down through the ages.

Then, once you sin, you have adversely affected humanity.

Don’t eat the apple.

Of couse Christ sacrifice is sufficient, but that doesn’t mean He doesn’t require anything from us. Like the golden rule for example.

James 2:17 So also faith of itself, if it does not have works, is dead.

There is alot here scripturecatholic.com/justification.html

Peace,

Ryan :slight_smile:

You might reply with what Martin Luther actually taught. It is not our works alone that lead to salvation. Rather it is grace which allows us to perform the works that lead to salvation.
James writes, “Show me your faith without works and I will show you the faith that underlies my works.”

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.