How would you feel about receiving a wedding gift of sexual nature?

I'm thinking about getting some K-Y products for a couple getting married in the Church. One is the Yours & Mine lubricants, and the other one is the new His & Hers chocolate and cherry edible liquid for foreplay...what do you all think? Personally, I would've been like: "Oh! I wish we would've opened this for the wedding night!" My husband feels the same way. But, I feel like others might be offended.

I definitely want to give them a Catholic book called Holy Sex!. It's a really good book.

If you knew that they were the sort of people who would like this sort of thing, and they wouldn't be totally creeped out, then I think this is an acceptable idea. My aunt dropped off a gift bag containing a roll of saran wrap and a jar of Crisco and had it put in our honeymoon suite on our wedding night. Due to a long-standing joke in our family about my aunt and uncle, that was pretty funny. But if someone else had done something like that, I don't know how I would have felt about it.

It's a little less than tasteful, in my opinion.

Also, I think personal lubricants fall under the realm of something you want to pick for yourself. Not everyone likes, wants, or needs them KWIM?? I don't. And I wouldn't want that kind of thing for my wedding night for sure. That's just me, I know everyone is different. That's why I see it as a bit too personal of a gift.:shrug:

I agree -too personal. Oh and one of my female friends tried the him/her thing by KY and was not impressed. I can’t use that stuff -causes yeast infections for me.

This seems more appropriate for a bachellor/bachellorette party than a wedding gift. If you know the couple well enough to be invited to that kind of event, it might be appropriate, but I wouldn't want to be the bride opening a gift like that in front of Grandma. Just sayin'.:rolleyes:

why are bachellor and bachellorette parties usually a bad idea? exhibit A:

This seems more appropriate for a bachellor/bachellorette party than a wedding gift.

sex lubricant seem to suggest a knowledge that the couple is already engaging in sexual activity. pre-wedding, it's a sin. i wouldn't do anything that appears to be an insider wink.

and if the couple was chaste, and dare i imagine, either of them a virgin, sending sex toys/ lubricants etc would suggest to them that their au natural sex will need a few added ingredients. not a good message for a chaste couple just learning to love each other intimately.

uhhh, this is coming from someone who is going to be married in 2 months and fiance and I are virgins (not sure if the people you're thinking of are though)

I would be really put off by that gift. I don't think that's something you should be getting as a present. The book yes, but I think the lubricant is a bit much. Just my opinion though.

Thank god nobody gave me that kind of gift when I got married! I would have found it very inappropriate. But if you do decide to give such a gift, I hope you do it as privately as possible.

Here's a three step possibility;

1) Theology of the Body or some such book which will tell them about the Church teachings on sex. As well as giving them the book.....

2) That chocolate/cherry stuff for foreplay is excellent. My wife and I certainly weren't offended when we got them, but I don't think we got them as a wedding gift (maybe she got them at the bridal shower). I'll spare the graphic details, but lets just say the stuff got used after the wedding. You can put the book and this stuff in a box along with.....

3) A note explaining why you got them those gifts....

4) And you may want to tell the couple to open it up around those who aren't prudes.

I'm trying to imagine what the thank you card would say..

"Thanks so much for the KY lubricants. They really came in handy.. we practically slipped right off the bed. Thanks also for the edible liquid for foreplay. Once we figure out what exactly we're supposed to do with that stuff, I'm sure we'll have some delicious fun. So kind of you to think of us having sex.

Most Sincerely,

Blushing bride & groom.

[quote="yellowbird, post:10, topic:207149"]
Thanks also for the edible liquid for foreplay. Once we figure out what exactly we're supposed to do with that stuff, I'm sure we'll have some delicious fun.

[/quote]

I assure you it's not rocket science. You won't even need to read a manual!

Neither is saying "thank you for the gift, it is much appreciated" if you can't think of anything else.

Don't some ladies get....."evening wear" as a gift sometimes at bridal parties/whatever parties?

[quote="Melchior, post:11, topic:207149"]

Don't some ladies get....."evening wear" as a gift sometimes at bridal parties/whatever parties?

[/quote]

At wedding showers, perhaps. But not as wedding gifts.

I'm not a prude, but I just can't imagine it....

Our wedding gifts included a toaster, an espresso machine, some lovely picture frames, and flavored goop we licked off of each other's bodies.

[quote="yellowbird, post:12, topic:207149"]
At wedding showers, perhaps. But not as wedding gifts.

I'm not a prude, but I just can't imagine it....

Our wedding gifts included a toaster, an espresso machine, some lovely picture frames, and flavored goop we licked off of each other's bodies.

[/quote]

Isn't that one of the gifts the OP was considering getting?

and if the couple was chaste, and dare i imagine, either of them a virgin, sending sex toys/ lubricants etc would suggest to them that their au natural sex will need a few added ingredients. not a good message for a chaste couple just learning to love each other intimately.

Yes, this. :thumbsup:

I think the book is a GREAT idea though:thumbsup:

[quote="Melchior, post:13, topic:207149"]
Isn't that one of the gifts the OP was considering getting?

[/quote]

Well.. yes. That's why I included it in the list. It seems so out of place, don't ya think?

I think it seems creepy to receive as a wedding gift. I'm NOT saying it's creepy to use ...to each his own, but as others have stated, it's a very personal sort of thing. And maybe I'd feel differently if my very best friend gave it to me vs. my Uncle Jim. :shrug:

[quote="beautiful304, post:1, topic:207149"]
I'm thinking about getting some K-Y products for a couple getting married in the Church. One is the Yours & Mine lubricants, and the other one is the new His & Hers chocolate and cherry edible liquid for foreplay...what do you all think? Personally, I would've been like: "Oh! I wish we would've opened this for the wedding night!" My husband feels the same way. But, I feel like others might be offended.

I definitely want to give them a Catholic book called Holy Sex!. It's a really good book.

[/quote]

I agree with some of the others. The book would be fine, I think. But the other things...not so tasteful IMO. It's fine for a married couple to use these things, but the whole dynamic involved in getting them as a gift from a friend could be majorly awkward and embarassing for your friend, IMO. I'd say that even if it was given privately. But *especially *if it's going to be given/opened in any kind of non-private setting, like at a bridal shower or something? Oh man, no way. :blush:

I know your heart is in the right place but I wouldn't do it. Up to you, though-- you know your friend more than we do!

Book- yes.

KY/gel- no. ewww.

"Thanks so much for the KY lubricants. They really came in handy.. we practically slipped right off the bed. Thanks also for the edible liquid for foreplay. Once we figure out what exactly we're supposed to do with that stuff, I'm sure we'll have some delicious fun. So kind of you to think of us having sex.

Most Sincerely,

Blushing bride & groom.

[/quote]

Haha the best awkward thank you card ever!

Most Sincerely,

Blushing bride & groom.

[/quote]

:rotfl:

Totally agree withthe other posters.

As an aside: A good friend of mine was getting married at the age of 42. At her Bridal Shower, I gave her a box that had a note at the top that said "To get you cooking..." and under that was a Betty Crocker cookbook....then another layer deeper under the cookbook was a 2nd note that read, "To get him cooking..." and I had placed under that note a sexy nightie for her!

Everyone got a laugh out of it. But this was at the shower. I would never have given such a gift for the wedding.

I just think the whole KY thing is.....yes, creepy, is the right word.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.