How would you feel if you had to live in the U.K?

I’m not really sure if this kind of a thread would be apt in this forum, but I’m not sure where else it would go :shrug:, sooo…

How would you feel if you had to live in the U.K?

Do you think your family would be able to cope with such a move? Would you find the prospect exciting or depressing?

What do you know about the U.K? And the people? :eek: :smiley:

For example, some areas of this country make me really happy (like where I live, and the view from my window, and my university campus)

My window 5 minutes ago:

[ATTACH]2875[/ATTACH]

But some things make me really depressed, like the ‘slums’ and people who butcher the English language:

[ATTACH]2876[/ATTACH]

In addition, the English culture is basically ‘beer, soccer, fish and chips, technology but no God’, and I much prefer a soft American accent to the cockney accent that seems to be the staple accent of 95% of people at least around where I live (London).

Do you guys / gals see the U.K like this? Are some things just part of life wherever you live?

Do you think your family would be able to adjust to such a cultural change?

Sorry for rambling a little :blush:

My husband was in the military for 25 years so we lived all over the world! It was great! I probably liked Germany the best.
Wherever we lived we tried to live like the “natives” as far from the base as we could get. It was important to us to live exactly like the nationals lived so we could get the full benefit of living overseas.
I don’t think the UK would be such an upheaval for us - at least they speak some sort of English. Sure, I would move to England in a second. But I have to admit there are other places I’d rather live.
Embrace your adventure!

Germany! Did you speak the language? Wow, that would be too much for me I think.

Also, I’ve lived over here since birth, so its not really an adventure, although I can see how my first post might have indicated I had come over from the USA.

AND LOL!! at ‘some sort of English’. Sometimes I really can’t understand some people without serious concentration.

Spent some time in England. Thought it rained too much. I wouldn’t mind living there for awhile I suppose… it would be great to be able to travel through Europe … but as Dorothy says, “There’s no place like home.” For me, that’s the USA.

Alot of my relatives live in England & Wales. I’ve spent time visiting them - they’ve been here to see me. What drives me nuts about them and I can only assume it’s the British “way” is that they are forever putting a positive cheerful spin on everything.

Me: So my husband lost his job yesterday.

Cousin: Awww, that’s a shame now isn’t it… but he’ll find another job, clever young man that he is now?

Me: Yes, but we’re flat out broke and will probably have to live in our car.

Cousin: Awww, what a pity… but you do have a lovely car now don’t you?

Me: Yes, but it actually has no gas.

Cousin: Well that sounds like an adventure and look at the lovely view from your front seat?

Me: I actually think they are going to tow it.

Cousin: Well nevermind then… it wasn’t a very pretty color car besides, was it now? And think of all the exercise you’ll soon be getting… "

etc. etc.

:wink:

Magicsilence,
I have visited the UK a couple of times and have had fantastic experiences. London is probably my favorite city in the world. But, over the past few years on several internet forums where I participate, British natives have expressed degrees of depression at what they see as the decline of British culture. They tell me that recently it has become not only much more secular, but also rather violent in some areas. Because of this, I would not be thrilled to move to the UK now. 20 years ago, I would have jumped at the chance, but not know. However I will always like to visit. :thumbsup:

Currently I live in the UK, though I’ve lived other places as well, including the USA - where, believe it or not, I was often struck by the poverty (parts seemed like the ‘Third World’ with satellite dishes).

Moving to a new country is something of a shock. After the initial ‘weather and beaches’ love-affair of moving to the US, I found lots of things a bit off-putting and often damned annoying, easy to retreat into European prejudices about America and Americans. Eventually, I saw more of the country (well, the South West and Colorado) and met more Americans and started to really rather like the place.

I looked forward to our next period of living there and enjoyed it much more.

Oh, by the way, I like Italy best!

LOL! :smiley: :wink: It’s more a fear of being perceived as impolite.

Brits avoid social awkwardness or confrontation like the plague!

So, what was your overall impression of the people over here? Could you have got married to a Brit? Love / hate the various accents?

I traveled there at least 6 times and absolutely loved the people! Loved the history as well! The countryside is beautiful. Loved the Tube.

Yes, it has become more violent, and especially in the inner cities.

It’s interesting, because having grown up in London, to me it seems pretty boring :shrug: :smiley: What makes you like it so much?

Hi
Where are you in London? I am living Cheltenham (south west of England) But I moved here after living in old “Cockney” east end of London for 20 years.

Its a very small Island to Live on which a lot of variety in accent/culture. In a days drive from London I have been to isolated parts of the Highlands of Scotland where the people are very polite and the accent is very light, probably the nicest “English” I have ever heard. parts of anglia have a really nice accent. The south of the country, Suffolk, and Kent have more of the posher “queens english” Class and education are the factors here. If you are studying in Oxford or cambridge you would have a different viewpoint.

Where I live in Cheltenham there is a polarization between the very rich and the very poor, with poorer areas on the extremes of the town. Yes I recognize the picture, these are the Lost souls of this generation, Poverty and lack of purpose.

My Town has a high evangelical Christian element, In a population of 100,000 only 1000 go to mass each week at a great traditional reverential catholic, but 4000 attend the charismatic Anglican “alpha” church for example. Britain is very secular, far more than America, but there is a lot of tolerance here for religion/race. (racism is illegal here)

I had my first trip to The United States last year, flying to Detroit airport to visit my father-in law who lives in an amish area in Michigan. My children spent a week working with an amish families children on the farm, what a different world!!!

Plenty of space there!! But nothing is perfect, The only towns I visited were white sububan areas, I only saw black people in detroit and were very poor.

Where did you start off from?!? :eek:

Also, I’m curious what kind of things were off putting or annoying, and how you overcame them?

Hey,

I am English, and I couldn’t imagine moving at all. I live in the North East, and the scenery is beautiful, the people are friendly, and well, we have many gems…

The chavs and the politicians shouldn’t put you off… find a nice North Eastern Village and you wont get that problem.

By the way, there is actually a strong catholic community in the UK… but can you cope with all the Anglicans :wink: lol.

The countryside can be stunningly beautiful when it is not raining :smiley: But the history? I always thought American history was much more interesting :smiley:

I live in Wimbledon, but am studying in Surrey. I think one of the problems is just how secular the whole place is, it can be really depressing at times. :frowning:

I guess it would help if I spent a little time in different places around the country :blush:

Do you get London style chavs up North? They drive me :mad:

We don’t really seem to have a Catholic community, just people who gather once a week at Church, and then disobey the Church in many things. I guess I am frustrated at the lack of faith in this country, even within the Church!

I have known Brits over here, and their assessment of both the UK and the US varies. I have never lived in England, but I pay a lot of attention it. “Roots” and all, I guess.

Strikes me as being overwhelmingly charming around the edges. But interestingly, that “ruffian” way that enabled Britain to rule half the world once, seems never all that far below the surface.

I fear I’m profoundly provincial. I live in the middle of the U.S., surrounded by an immense (by UK standards) swath of relatively culturally and economically homogenous territory that could be a nation all its own, if it came to that. Guess that makes me feel more secure than I would feel in a place where every planeload seemed to bring in more avowed enemies of my culture and my religion, and where stark divisions between rich and poor seem accepted as the natural order of things. That whole picture would make me very nerous indeed.

But I’ll admit that Brits can be the most charming of all the world’s people. No question about that. And the landscape is superb. Of course, the Brits have had a long time to work on that.

We have chavs in some of the bigger towns, but they aren’t rife… they only gather at school gates or one area of town centres. If you live in a village you don’t get the problem of chavs. I go to Anglican churches in three different northern villages, (they are mainly farming community villages) and they are such lovely sought after areas.

I know a lot of Catholics within my town, but you tend to find it’s older women that are of faith and devout here…

It does get a bit depressing with the chavs, but I guess they are the equivilant of American “jocks” or what ever they are.

There is another tip though: the north is cheaper than the south, for houses, petrol, food and most other things!

I am a convert to the Catholic faith(officially an enquirer until next easter-- I meet with a priest once a week for one to one sessions…)

Catholics here are not as involved as Pentecostals/Charismatic Anglicans here but thats probably true elsewhere, there are clubs for the 18 to35’s (I’m 37) bible reading groups and various groups that meet here, I am here for God not for the social side.

The 16th century did so much damage to the catholic faith and its rich traditions here in this country, to walk around Gloucester cathedral and see the stripped, bare destruction in what should have been a great catholic cathedral…very sad. My kids go to school in a village where there once was the benedictine Winchcombe abbey…destroyed, gone.

South London can be a rough place… I did my motorcycle CBT in Wimbledon when I was a teenager, we eastenders don’t go there very much… wrong side of the river…:wink:

I’m baffled. What is a “chav”? The context doesn’t seem to indicate to me that they are the same as American “jocks”. True Jocks are athletes, and tend to be pretty straight folks. “Chavs” seem to be different…perhaps something more like “thugs” or “gangbangers” in “American”.:smiley:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.