How would you interpret Isaiah 29:16?

How would you interpret Isaiah 29:16?

God Bless you,
Patrick

In the context of Isaiah 29:15. Sorry, I needed verse 15 as well.

The first line “Your perversity is as though the potter were taken to be the clay:” makes me think of when we think we know better than God. Instead of seeking His guidance or focusing on Him, we think we are the makers of our own destiny. To my mind this is supported by the next lines which remind me of a sulky child, having been told off, yelling to their Dad “You are not my Dad”. And then the next line - oh my, how many times did the teenage Avila yell to her mother “You don’t understand”? How many times did I say those words to adults thinking that they had never been a teenager, or that if they had, they had an easy time of it.

It seems a reflection of the rebellious child and teenager mindset which is too wrapped up in self and too immature to realise that their parents, do understand and are trying to protect and guide them. It seems t be describing the blindness of a child or teenager who have no concept of loving wisdom or the tender care of a father.

I wouldn’t say that was an interpretation but simply what came to mind when I read it.

:blessyou:

I love delving into verses and exploring it together. Thanks Patrick :slight_smile:

This is the verse you mention:

Woe to those who go to great depths
to hide their plans from the Lord,
who do their work in darkness and think,
“Who sees us? Who will know?”
16 You turn things upside down,
as if the potter were thought to be like the clay!
Shall what is formed say to the one who formed it,
“You did not make me”?
Can the pot say to the potter,
“You know nothing”?

In terms of my understanding, I feel it cannot be better explained than this Hidden Word by Baha’u’llah :

O YE THAT ARE LYING AS DEAD ON THE COUCH OF HEEDLESSNESS!
Ages have passed and your precious lives are well-nigh ended, yet not a single breath of purity hath reached Our court of holiness from you. Though immersed in the ocean of misbelief, yet with your lips ye profess the one true faith of God. Him whom I abhor ye have loved, and of My foe ye have made a friend. Notwithstanding, ye walk on My earth complacent and self-satisfied, heedless that My earth is weary of you and everything within it shunneth you. Were ye but to open your eyes, ye would, in truth, prefer a myriad griefs unto this joy, and would count death itself better than this life.

I would agree with the Avila123. When you look at Isaiah 29:15, it is clear that it refers to those who think that they can hide their deeds from the Lord, thinking that they are unknowable and invincible, as though they were the divine, and God was fallible and so easily deceived.

By a prophecy (made during the days of the Assyrian kingdom when the events of Isaiah 29 took place) King Hezekiah was frightened what to make of the threats by the Assyrians. Later, it became revealed in the New Testament when Jesus confounded and warned the Jews of what would become of them as they became too proud.

Something like that:o

MJ

=MartinJordan;11761930]By a prophecy (made during the days of the Assyrian kingdom when the events of Isaiah 29 took place) King Hezekiah was frightened what to make of the threats by the Assyrians. Later, it became revealed in the New Testament when Jesus confounded and warned the Jews of what would become of them as they became too proud.

Something like that:o

MJ

Thank you!
Patrick

=Servant19;11754943]I love delving into verses and exploring it together. Thanks Patrick :slight_smile:

This is the verse you mention:

Woe to those who go to great depths
to hide their plans from the Lord,
who do their work in darkness and think,
“Who sees us? Who will know?”
16 You turn things upside down,
as if the potter were thought to be like the clay!
Shall what is formed say to the one who formed it,
“You did not make me”?
Can the pot say to the potter,
“You know nothing”?

In terms of my understanding, I feel it cannot be better explained than this Hidden Word by Baha’u’llah :

O YE THAT ARE LYING AS DEAD ON THE COUCH OF HEEDLESSNESS!
Ages have passed and your precious lives are well-nigh ended, yet not a single breath of purity hath reached Our court of holiness from you. Though immersed in the ocean of misbelief, yet with your lips ye profess the one true faith of God. Him whom I abhor ye have loved, and of My foe ye have made a friend. Notwithstanding, ye walk on My earth complacent and self-satisfied, heedless that My earth is weary of you and everything within it shunneth you. Were ye but to open your eyes, ye would, in truth, prefer a myriad griefs unto this joy, and would count death itself better than this life.

Thank you,
Patrick

If one goes back a few passages it is made more clear IMHO

10 For the Lord hath poured out upon you the spirit of deep sleep, and hath closed your eyes: the prophets and your rulers, the seers hath he covered.

11 And the vision of all is become unto you as the words of a book that is sealed, which men deliver to one that is learned, saying, Read this, I pray thee: and he saith, I cannot; for it is sealed:

12 And the book is delivered to him that is not learned, saying, Read this, I pray thee: and he saith, I am not learned.

13 Wherefore the Lord said, Forasmuch as this people draw near me with their mouth, and with their lips do honour me, but have removed their heart far from me, and their fear toward me is taught by the precept of men:

14 Therefore, behold, I will proceed to do a marvellous work among this people, even a marvellous work and a wonder: for the wisdom of their wise men shall perish, and the understanding of their prudent men shall be hid.

15 Woe unto them that seek deep to hide their counsel from the Lord, and their works are in the dark, and they say, Who seeth us? and who knoweth us?

Thus I think once you get to verse 16 it is the Warning that the Word of God is turned upside down into new meaning, meaning that makes man say when the new Word is revealed unto them " That is not of God"

After this it moves on to promise until the end of the chapter!

18 And in that day shall the deaf hear the words of the book, and the eyes of the blind shall see out of obscurity, and out of darkness.

19 The meek also shall increase their joy in the Lord, and the poor among men shall rejoice in the Holy One of Israel.

24 They also that erred in spirit shall come to understanding, and they that murmured shall learn doctrine.

God Bless and Regards Tony

=tonyfish58;11765580]If one goes back a few passages it is made more clear IMHO

10 For the Lord hath poured out upon you the spirit of deep sleep, and hath closed your eyes: the prophets and your rulers, the seers hath he covered.

11 And the vision of all is become unto you as the words of a book that is sealed, which men deliver to one that is learned, saying, Read this, I pray thee: and he saith, I cannot; for it is sealed:

12 And the book is delivered to him that is not learned, saying, Read this, I pray thee: and he saith, I am not learned.

13 Wherefore the Lord said, Forasmuch as this people draw near me with their mouth, and with their lips do honour me, but have removed their heart far from me, and their fear toward me is taught by the precept of men:

14 Therefore, behold, I will proceed to do a marvellous work among this people, even a marvellous work and a wonder: for the wisdom of their wise men shall perish, and the understanding of their prudent men shall be hid.

15 Woe unto them that seek deep to hide their counsel from the Lord, and their works are in the dark, and they say, Who seeth us? and who knoweth us?

Thus I think once you get to verse 16 it is the Warning that the Word of God is turned upside down into new meaning, meaning that makes man say when the new Word is revealed unto them " That is not of God"

After this it moves on to promise until the end of the chapter!

18 And in that day shall the deaf hear the words of the book, and the eyes of the blind shall see out of obscurity, and out of darkness.

19 The meek also shall increase their joy in the Lord, and the poor among men shall rejoice in the Holy One of Israel.

24 They also that erred in spirit shall come to understanding, and they that murmured shall learn doctrine.

God Bless and Regards Tony

:thumbsup:Very nicely done, Thank you

I think John 3:19 explains it too:

John 3.19 And the judgment is based on this fact: God’s light came into the world, but people loved the darkness more than the light, for their actions were evil. 20 All who do evil hate the light and refuse to go near it for fear their sins will be exposed. 21 But those who do what is right come to the light so others can see that they are doing what God wants.

Oh yes! I have referred to this verse when discussing “secret sins” with our kids. Even if you think you got away with it, God still knows.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.