How would you rate your knowledge of scripture?

No, when did I ever allude to such an idea?! Please do not place a caricature on my words for you to attack more easily.

I’m a former Protestant and was pretty dedicated as one. I was homeschooled and had Bible class daily. I started studying Scripture when I was fifteen, and my family did family Bible readings for years. These included the daily Proverb and a reading from a selected book. I’ve also been in numerous Bible studies. Some were simply passionate teenagers. Others were officially put on by the church, ranging from Presbyterian to Catholic ones.

With all that said, I’d imagine that I know my Bible better than most. That said, I still am admittedly ignorant of a lot of it and am constantly surprised by little details I missed the first hundred times. I also haven’t read all of the Catholic-specific ones. So far, I’ve only read Tobit and Judith in full.

Very well here, because…

•I’m a Cradle Catholic,
•exe Bible Thumper,
•strong Revert!

When I was “Pentecostal” (never really was straight Protestant, more of a ‘Charismatic strayed Catholic’) I’d win Bible speed drills (even over the Pastor’s kid) and could quote chapter and verse fluently… all but the Apocrypha of course! I used to read 1-5 chapters daily, read the OT through 5 times besides all the times it wasn’t straight through, and the NT around 27 times in many versions.

Now that I’ve reverted, it’s mostly just the Daily Mass Readings and my own Lectio Divina for straight scripture. I tend to pray more now including the LOTH most days and daily rosary.

It’s simply amazing now how many scriptures are cleared up and make a whole lot more sense since I finally got a grip on Catholic teaching the past several years.

What’s really amazing are the so called “Full Gospel” churches I used to be in are actually more “partial Gospel” and the Catholic Church is much more complete, full Gospel. The irony of that is astounding.

I was also one of those Christians for many years who was staunchly “Bible only”. I’ve since realized as awesome as the Bible is, it’s really only part of the story, and it’s the Catholic Church that gave us the Bible to begin with!

p.s. I have read the Apocrypha since reverting too and the only versions I now use are Catholic.

yes there are those who know the Bible inside and out and don’t believe a word of it!

that’s great! One thing that’s a good way to hear it all are those audio Bibles. I did that a number of times and it helps know what those obscure parts have in them.

I think everyone has these types of stories, and I can name at least one I’ve heard from Pentecostals, Seventh Day Adventists, Presbyterians, Lutherans, and Catholics. I believe God did it for me for both Presbyterianism and Catholicism. He tried getting me to see how Catholic the Bible was about ten years ago. After I resisted, He used my growing love of Calvinism to lead me to Presbyterianism, which oddly tore down most of the barriers I had ten years ago.

You are actually saying it.

You make a deliberate connection to St. Peter as you state that when he Wrote this passage he actually had trouble understanding it otherwise (that’s your estimation) he would not have made reference to St. Paul’s Writings being difficult to understand.

Maran atha!

Angel

This is what is so confounding… even in Scriptures we do not find “Scriptures” only Christians:

44 And all they that believed, were together, and had all things common. 45 Their possessions and goods they sold, and divided them to all, according as every one had need. 46 And continuing daily with one accord in the temple, and breaking bread from house to house, they took their meat with gladness and simplicity of heart; 47 Praising God, and having favour with all the people. And the Lord increased daily together such as should be saved. (Acts 2)
23 Let us hold fast the confession of our hope without wavering (for he is faithful that hath promised), 24 And let us consider one another, to provoke unto charity and to good works: 25 Not forsaking our assembly, as some are accustomed; but comforting one another, and so much the more as you see the day approaching. (Hebrews 10)

The gathered to Worship and Celebrate God–through their life’s experiences not just through reading/studying/quoting Scriptures.

Even when Jesus Sent them out, there was no wholesale “Scriptures only” Ministry:

30 And the apostles coming together unto Jesus, related to him all things that they had done and taught. (St. Mark 6)

Jesus did not chided them: ‘…and you did not give them all a copy of the Sacred Scriptures?’

Maran atha!

Angel

What say ye about the book of Wisdom (sorry, got caught up with the Fellowship of the Ring thing)?

Maran atha!

Angel

11 Can one ever know enough about the Scriptures?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.