How would you respond to this

A Seventh Day Adventist put this on Facebook. How would you respond?

https://scontent-ord.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xpt1/v/t1.0-9/p720x720/18427_10153261250089669_5775899814291079067_n.jpg?oh=13b04f88505ebc0dda06e2e029f630ca&oe=55B8C6A4

…because I am not a Messiah.

The things people do to get a response, eh?

Obviously, he did observe it because He rose that morning and came to be with his disciples in the upper room (Mark, Luke and John.) He showed them his hands, his feet and his side.

Luke 24:36-43

36 While they were telling these things, He Himself stood in their midst and said to them, “Peace be to you.” 37 But they were startled and frightened and thought that they were seeing a spirit. 38 And He said to them, “Why are you troubled, and why do doubts arise in your hearts? 39 “See My hands and My feet, that it is I Myself; touch Me and see, for a spirit does not have flesh and bones as you see that I have.” 40 And when He had said this, He showed them His hands and His feet. 41 While they still could not believe it because of their joy and amazement, He said to them, “Have you anything here to eat?” 42 They gave Him a piece of a broiled fish; 43 and He took it and ate it before them.

This person will not understand because they are seriously indoctrinated into their teachings and Easter was not celebrated the way we know it now because Jesus had shown himself raised from the grave. Different practices for Easter developed slowly over the years.

Another thing that the SDA;s think is that Constantine was the one who changed the worship from Saturday to Sunday. Justin Martyr tells us that it was in the first century that people celebrated it on the Monday after His resurrection.

It just popped into my head that they also think that the Easter practices that we have also came from Constantine’s conversion to Christianity. There are many SDA’s who do celebrate Easter, too.

:thumbsup:

‘I am the Resurrection and the life’. The Messiah IS Easter - our Passover.

I would not feel compelled to respond. The person that posted the tract is on a mission and nothing you can say will change their mind.

Over the years I have had people from many different detonations knock on my door. I am always respectful but tell them up front I am Roman Catholic and have no desire to debate theology. When they offer literature I politely accept it and politely but firmly say goodbye.

My technique works well. They never come back.

“He rose from the dead on Easter Sunday. What more of an observance do you want?”

That’s it…Everybody call of Easter for this year until we get things straightened out. :slight_smile:

As you infer, Jesus was not an observer, He was/is Easter. It is for us to not only observe, but also to join with Him as best we can.

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

I wouldn’t.

:smiley:

I’ve been trying to talk with people who are rabidly against Easter for the last month or so and I’ve come to some conclusions. They do not want to engage historically with the liturgical origins of Easter or what it actually means. They would much rather repeat the myth that Easter is derived from Ishtar and the celebration of her day, thus making Easter an ancient Pagan festival.

So how I would I respond? I think to this person I would just read Saint John Chrysostom’s Easter Homily. I try to get them to understand that Easter is not about chocolate eggs or bunnies. It’s about the resurrection of Christ, meditating on our new life. I don’t think one can reasonably engage with these people because they don’t want to be engaged. They want to shout down something they ignorantly despise.

As for the specific reason given in the poster above, I would point out that Christ celebrated the passover. I would then say that we as Christians celebrate the passover, not the old passover but the new one which reorientates the direction towards Jesus. I would point to the second century and show the connection as to how the “Pascha” was celebrated by the Christians then and ask how did it become like that? Was it a sudden innovation done to undermine the apostolic deposit? Or did it begin with the apostles? Did it begin with the church reflecting on their celebration of the Old Passover, the escape from Israel and the lamb that was to be sacrificed. Did the church not see Jesus as the fulfilment of that feast and then the feast gradually lost it’s Jewish significance and became properly Christ orientated? This is what I believe concerning Easter and it seems plausible to me, especially after reading Peri pascha by a second century Jewish Christian Melito of Sardis.

Easter celebrates what Christ did on that day. It’s kind of like saying that people shouldn’t celebrate birthdays because those whose birthdays it is didn’t.

Quite honestly, a person like this is “waiting” and “wanting” to bait anyone who responds. they want to bait you. Don’t take the bait.

This person is not interested in your response or a discussion – they just want to insult others.

If this is a friend on facebook, I would simply de-friend them.

The best response is to pray for them.

Seventh Day Adventists don’t celebrate birthdays either. Or Christmas for that matter. I don’t know what they ***do ***celebrate (except the seventh day of course) :shrug:

The SDA church just brainwashes their people so badly

My ex gf is SDA, and they do celebrate Christmas, birthdays, and holidays (ie 4th of July) thats Jehova Witness who don’t celebrate those things

Beautiful

I totally agree with you, their is no need to talk to people like this. All we can really do is pray and God willing the stubborness goes away.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.