How would you talk to a Baptist about the Catholic Faith?

I recently made friends with a girl that is (I do believe) a Baptist. She is one of the few people at my college that is near my age (most people are either a good bit older or as much 9 or ten years younger). She seems very kind, and very sweet, and I bet she certainly noticed the cross around my neck (there’s a miraculous medal around my neck too, which is less obvious). She has not attacked me for being Catholic, and I don’t think she would. But how would you explain the Catholic faith to someone with that background? I would actually like input from both Catholics and Baptists on this. Thanks.

I would take it by topic starting with how one is born again by water and of the Spirit, through water baptism.

Jesus answered and said unto him, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, **Except **a man be born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God. 4 Nicodemus saith unto him, How can a man be born when he is old? can he enter the second time into his mother’s womb, and be born? 5 Jesus answered, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born of water and of the Spirit, he cannot enter into the kingdom of God]

[Acts2:36 Therefore let all the house of Israel know assuredly, that God hath made the same Jesus, whom ye have crucified, both Lord and Christ. 37 Now **when they heard this, they were pricked in their heart, and said unto Peter and to the rest of the apostles, Men and brethren, **what shall we do? **38 Then **Peter said **unto them, Repent, and **be baptized every one **of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost. 39 For the promise is unto you, and to your children, and to all that are afar off, even as many as the Lord our God shall call. 40 And **with many other words did he testify **and exhort, **saying, Save yourselves **from this untoward generation. 41 Then they that gladly received his word were baptized: and the same day there were **added unto them **about three thousand souls. 42 And **they continued **stedfastly **in the apostles’ doctrine **and fellowship, and in breaking of bread, and in prayers.]

First the Gospel was preached, those who belived repented, baptized for remission of sins and received the gift of the Holy Spirit being born again by water and of the Spirit. Baptism was not only for those adults who accepted but also their children. What where they added to when baptized? The one Apostlic Fellowship (the Church) and they continued stedfastly one apostlic **doctrine], one worship breadking of bread=Mass and in prayers. [Gal3:26 For **ye are all the children of God by faith **in Christ Jesus. 27 For **as many of you as have been baptized **into Christ have put on Christ.]

[Eph5:25 **Husbands, love your wives, even as Christ also loved the church, and gave himself for it; 26 That he might sanctify and cleanse it with the washing of water by the word,]

The people of God are cleansed and sanctified with the washing of water by the word, in the name of the Father, Son and Holy Spirit in water baptism.

Of course you must know how to defend the faith scripturally. I would be glad to help you with any question that may come up on this line or send me a private message. God Bless

unto Peter and to the rest of the apostles, Men and brethren, **what shall we do? **38 Then **Peter said **unto them, Repent, and **be baptized every one **of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost. 39 For the promise is unto you, and to your children, and to all that are afar off, even as many as the Lord our God shall call. 40 And **with many other words did he testify **and exhort, **saying, Save yourselves **from this untoward generation. 41 Then they that gladly received his word were baptized: and the same day there were **added unto them **about three thousand souls. 42 And **they continued **stedfastly in the apostles’ doctrine and fellowship, and in breaking of bread, and in prayers.]

First the Gospel was preached, those who belived repented, baptized for remission of sins and received the gift of the Holy Spirit being born again by water and of the Spirit. Baptism was not only for those adults who accepted but also their children. What where they added to when baptized? The one Apostlic Fellowship (the Church) and they continued stedfastly one apostlic **doctrine], one worship breadking of bread=Mass and in prayers. [Gal3:26 For **ye are all the children of God by faith **in Christ Jesus. 27 For **as many of you as have been baptized **into Christ have put on Christ.]

Of course you must know how to defend the faith scripturally. I would be glad to help you with any question that may come up on this line or send me a private message. God Bless
I’m actually pretty well versed in the Bible, and she has not seen fit to attack me for my faith. I do however, appreciate the offer of help. I’ve never been Baptist but I did go to a Baptist church for four years as a child and I am pretty capable at explaining my faith. I don’t want to cause offense to her, but at the same time, I know I am called to preach the gospel, I do believe all Christians are, but at the same time, I do not want to sound harsh.

Well I am pleased to know you are versed in the bible and now Catholic, welcome. I would still start by asking in a friendly manner how Baptist are born again. Or maybe ask her what she thinks about the Catholic Church. Since you are called to preach I will pray you may become a priest or a deacon if you marry.

Just be Catholic. Your actions speak louder than words. Make the Sign of the Cross before meals, pray the rosary, go to Adoration and Mass. If she has an interest in you, and your interests that go along with you being you, she will likely inquire on her own.

yep…agree with this post…

Start by answering her questions about Catholicism, keep it friendly, respectful and informative. A scriptural game of ping pong probably will not get you very far at this point. If she seems interested after that, invite her to Mass and leave the rest to the Holy Spirit!

As with all other “differences” between people, the best place to start is where there is commonality.

While we may “disagree” on many things, Catholics and Baptists alike agree that we have been redeemed by our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ.

My brother is happily married to a Baptist. They agreed to be married in the Catholic Church. To his bride, the most important thing was that Christ be at the center of their marriage. Not such a bad way to look at marriage, and not at all inconsistent with Catholic teaching.

I Have a friend at work who is Baptist, and we just talk about things we have in common, such as a love of Christ, the Bible and helping the poor. We dont talk about theology differences. I have no intention of becoming a Baptist and he has no intention of becoming Catholic, so why go through the doctrinal judo?

Sound advice in general, but when two Christians are dating, the issue must be addressed and resolved at some point in order for the relationship to progress.

THIS^^. And I would wait until she asks.

I’m not Catholic, but my best friend was growing up, so I have some experience from the other side.

Truthfully, I think you’re over thinking things. If she has any questions about Catholicism, you can just answer them: simple as that. Talk to her as a person, letting your mutual friendship pave the way for a good conversation.

Well I started a thread on this same topic a few months ago. I have a long time friend who became a baptist when she married her husband 20 years ago. She was protestant before that.
They don’t believe the departed pray for us or that we can pray for the departed. She is a very good Christian, but I think she belongs to a strict church and her husband is THE boss. She is very obedient and a good wife and mother. She is disappointed Jesus has not returned yet.

I have no personal experience as Protestants. My Protestant friends are mutual so religious differences were never discussed.

I would advise you to treat her like how you would treat a non-Catholic - with respect and be at your best as a witness for Christ. You would know her better than any of us. Knowing a person’s character is a great help in how we respond to that person. There is no one foolproof way to treat a person except perhaps the Golden Rule (Lk 6:31). So if you respond to her as a good Catholic boy, I think you would have won her over already. And that much you have, any others are just false pretense.

From your question, you seem intend to evangelize. For that I agree with what other posters have said - be a practicing Catholic and that may open a way for her to ask question. Answer her truthfully. You have nothing to lose and beside if she is to be your friend, factual information about Catholicism helps towards her understanding your belief.

Good luck and God bless.

Reuben

It is great that you are concerned with your friends salvation, but then; it appears that you don’t believe that she has decided to follow Christ Jesus.

I wonder what it is about your friend that makes you believe that? You know that you are to preach the Gospel, and your don’t think your friend knows the Gospel Message?

There is actually no difference between the Catholic version and the Baptist version in summary. Both groups choose Jesus and both groups are baptized in the name of the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit. Perhaps, your concern is whether or not the Protestant understands the reason for the Baptism?

I can testify that teaching protestants what the Bible says about Baptism is a rough road. I have been insulted by them when I presented the verses that explain the mechanism. When it was all over, and my bruises started healing; the bottom line is in Matthew 28: Jesus said so.

Perhaps just practicing love as God wills is enough. If you friend has chosen Jesus and has been baptized as commanded, let God sort out the truth for both of you.

1. Wait for her to broach the subject of faith. Believe me it will happen. I purposely choose not to discuss Catholicism with my non-Catholic & non-christian friends UNTIL they ask me a question about Catholicism. I have been to events/lunches/dinners/BBQ’s where people have talked about their faith sincerely and enthusiastically for hours, I nod and smile but don’t say a word. If they really want to know they will ask. Curiosity always takes over. :smiley:

2. The most powerful testimony is that of actions, practice your faith. Be that example of faith in action.

You could start with something Baptists and Catholics see eye to eye about. I think finding common ground is the most healthy approach.

Here is an article from a Baptist (highly respected minister among Baptists, I believe) who has come to believe (basically) what Catholics do about Matrimony, divorce and remarriage.

desiringgod.org/articles/on-divorce-remarriage-in-the-event-of-adultery

[quote=Riser;12926308**]It is great that you are concerned with your friends salvation, but then; it appears that you don’t believe that she has decided to follow Christ Jesus
[/quote]

Did I miss something, nowhere in the OPs statements did I see this comment. Please explain???

ByzCathCantor & CalCatholic have provided really good advice. I am a convert to Catholicism, I was a Southern Baptist. IMO I would think that she will be looking for that “Personal Relationship with Christ” that a Catholic has. The best way to answer the question is to say “YES” most certainly you have a Personal Relationship with Christ By your 1. in the way she understands it, and 2. even so much more every time we take our Lord and Savior Body, Blood, Soul, & Divinity into us when we partake of the most Holy Eucharist.

Also when discussing the commonalities it my be usefully to discuss CCC 818 & 819. This deals with what the CC teaches about or Brothers and Sisters in Christ.

As others had stated, evangelize your faith by example, to me this one of the greatest ways to have an impact on someone (Catholic or non-Catholic).

Good luck, and pray about it.

I think that the above is very good advice. :slight_smile:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.