How wrong was I here?

I’m so mad.:mad: But I shouldn’t be, I should be ashamed. I was talking with my step-mom(protestant) about the Catholic Church and how its truth. She turned a conversation on theology, into a morality conversation. To sum it up she says she doesn’t want to hear me talk about the Catholic Church untill she saw that I was outwardly living the faith. When I tried to bring it back to theology and what the church teaches, she went back to morality, saying what are basics? Then asking me “why I am not living it”. It seems as though she didnt want to talk about theology. She made me look absolutly ridiculous.

To give her credit, she was completly correct, I should be doing more. But if im correct werent the Jews obligated to listen but not follow the ways of the Pharisees? Now Im not saying I can be a hypocryit(spelling?), and teach it to people, but is that really a fair argument to use?

She is a social worker and is really good about getting into peoples heads, she admitted to useing that tactic on me. I think that was sneaky. I know I have a lot of work to do in outwardly living the faith, but im still learning and I want to live the faith but my will to live the faith is low.

I would say you are fortunate to have learned this lesson.

Take your medicine, get your act together and start living as God would want you to live.

Jesus said, “Not everyone who says to me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ will enter the kingdom of heaven, but only he who does the will of my Father who is in heaven.”

Time for some soul-searching, I think.

Hope this helps. :tiphat:

I learned this lesson when I first teaching Sunday school.
One of my grade 7 pupil said “You got mad at us and you talk about meek and humble?”

The lesson in humility was bitter but I learned tremendously from her.

I told her that my intention is good but bad habits tend to pop up at stressfull situation - “the spirit is willing, but the flesh is weak” and ask the class to pray for me.
We came to a better relationship because of that episode.

I love this Litany of Humility

May Jesus, the Gentle Shepherd, guides you.

Tak

I really like that Litany

My folks used to use this one on me–and frankly it worked! I still don’t think I’m holy enough to be sure that my inclination toward Catholicism is true (and of course if I were really holy I wouldn’t think I was–LOL!). I’m amazed by how blithely Catholic converts ignore the problem of private judgment–they seem to have no problem getting to Catholicism and then abandoning it. I guess that’s because they really believed in it until they were Catholics. I don’t believe in it, so I’m stuck. . . .

I suppose at the end of the day my line is that I have not exhausted the means of grace available to me as an Anglican. Of course I don’t know what means of grace are available to you in your current affiliation. But your stepmother is right on this at least–theology is empty if it’s not put into practice. It’s easy to get caught up in a head trip. If you become Catholic, it should be because of spiritual hunger–precisely because you can’t live a Christian life otherwise.

Edwin

I see what your saying, but she did this for the fun of it. Afterwards she laughed thinking what she did was humourus.

How are you not ‘living your faith’, and what does she mean by that? Do you go to church? Do you partake in the sacraments? Do you read your bible? How much more does she want you to do?

I knew sooner or later we would get blamed

It seems all you do here is type “jew” into the search engine and see what pops up.

I must admit, your “victim” attitude is getting old.

No one here is blaming the jews, no matter how much you want them to to justify your attitude.

Please stop jumping to conclusions and being so paranoid. We’re not out to get you.

To the OP: If you feel your mother was right then you have some work to do. But be careful not to fall for the tu quoque fallacy. What you do or don’t do doesn’t lessen the relavence of your argument.

Jesus, a Jew, was telling his listeners, also Jews, to follow the instructions of the Pharisees, also Jews.

Not much to argue with there.

BTW, news reports indicate that the Sanhedrin is being re-established. What news of this from Israel?

What your Mom said doesn’t affect that the Church is the truth.

But what she was telling you, humorously or not, was that you will not be able to evangelize her or anybody else, until you are living the faith. Through her, Jesus is calling you to walk with him on the path towards holiness. How wonderful that this could come frm your mother, rather than from a stranger or someone who doesn’t believe in Christ at all.

If you are hurt by what your mother said, run to your spiritual Mother’s lap, she will pray with you and help you to follow her Son. :hug1:

Thus showing by her own example how she is following her faith to the utmost? Keep planting seeds :slight_smile: We always work on our actions in our faith, but keep planting seeds.

Behold I send you as sheep in the midst of wolves. Be ye therefore wise as serpents and simple as doves. - Matt 10:16

Keep planting seeds :wink:

What on earth are you doing that your mother would say such a thing to you?! :eek: :eek:

Are you living with someone out of wedlock? Partying and getting drunk? Selling drugs? Employed by a hit squad? Pulling wings off flies?

Is what she said truly justified? Do you live a decadent life? Is there something you’re doing that needs to be stopped NOW?

If you are guilty of continuing to live in sin, then I agree with all those who are telling you to improve.

But unless I am misinterpreting your post, I get the feeling that your mother will never find you good enough, even if you sell all your belongings to the poor and move to Calcutta to work with the Sisters of Charity. She’ll find fault no matter how perfect you are.

Good heavens, whatever happened to “let him without sin cast the first stone.”?

Is your mother so holy and perfect, with no logs in her eye, that she can see clearly to take the speck out of your eye?

Is she really? Does she not sin? Is she a saint?

I would never pronounce judgement on someone else because I am a greater sinner. If they were openly living in some kind of sin (e.g., the sins I mentioned above), then I would confront them with their sin, as Matthew 18: 15-17 tells us to do. But to simply tell someone that they aren’t “good enough” is pretty bold, IMO. I wouldn’t want to play God in that way.

If I’m wrong in my interpretations of your post, forgive me.

But if I’m interpreting this correctly, I would advise you to steer clear of Mom, and spend more time praying for her. Her judgemental comments will cause you a lot of hurt and it will be hard to forgive her. So don’t give her an opportunity to spew out her prideful judgements.

Keep your conversations with your mother casual; e.g., “How about those Cubs, Ma?” and away from topics like Christianity. Ask the Holy Spirit to work in her heart and break up her prideful spirit. Pray hard, because a spirit of pride is really difficult to give up and you don’t want to catch it.

Dear chosen people,

I don’t see the “blame” in the post you quoted. There was a question regarding whether or not 1st Century Jews (and also disciples of Jesus) were required to listen to the Pharisees.
No need for us to quibble without warrant. Peace.

We all can do more, but your step mom’s arguments are not correct. We hear such things all the time in regard to the CC. Notice how many will say the Church is not true because some priests are guilty of child abuse? Do bad acting Catholics make the faith invalid?

To give her credit, she was completly correct, I should be doing more. But if im correct werent the Jews obligated to listen but not follow the ways of the Pharisees? Now Im not saying I can be a hypocryit(spelling?), and teach it to people, but is that really a fair argument to use?

You are correct. Christ said to the people to do exactly as the pharisees tell you to do, but do not act as they do.

She is a social worker and is really good about getting into peoples heads, she admitted to useing that tactic on me. I think that was sneaky. I know I have a lot of work to do in outwardly living the faith, but im still learning and I want to live the faith but my will to live the faith is low.

Again, always strive to be a better person. Truth is truth though. You may ask her about Mother Teresa. She certainly lived her faith. And by that example would she then accept the truth of Catholicism?

I have been told that the best way to evangelize is to first live your Faith and to use words only when nessesary.

Actually in this case I was being facetious.

If however your interested in the disease of Catholic antisemitism this forum provides numerous examples. A good start is the thread “Does the sspx speak uncharitably about the Jews”? Recent active blatantly antisemitic threads are to be found in eastern christianity.

We have heard that some went out from us without our authorization and disturbed you, troubling your minds by what they said. (Acts 15:24)

Hope this helps. :tiphat:

You’re trying to draw the conclusion that Catholics hate jews, but it won’t work. I dare you to prove where in Catholic teaching that the Church condones anti-semitism. You won’t because you can’t. You cannot judge the many based on the few. That’s unfair. And don’t mix up theological differences with anti-semitism.

If these threads you find are so inflammatory and insulting, report them to the moderator. That way they’ll be taken care of. But do not use them as sticks to spank Catholics with by assuming all Catholics must think the same. Setting up that kind of argument is a straw man.

If other Catholics are mistreating you or jews in general, that’s a shame. But it’s the exception, not the rule, sinners as we are.

But as I said before, beware of the tu quoque fallacy. Just because you may not be the perfect Catholic (who is?) that doesn’t lessen or falsify the Truth which Catholicism stands for. Some people may not behave perfectly (cough anti-semitism cough) but the authenticity of the truth cannot be measured by a person’s fidelity to that truth.

My mother-in-law is similarly hostile to my Catholicism, and I’ve found that ‘seed planting’ through my actions is my only viable defense against her. No point in talking theology or Church history with her. All she can see is my behavior. So, I work extra hard at praying for the virtues of faith, hope, and charity, and to live out the gifts of the Holy Spirit especially when I’m around her. You may also find that a kind word, a smile, and turning the other cheek will be a better way to survive the onslaught for yourself. You will feel more peaceful when under attack if you resolve to live out your Catholicism by being humble and charitable to her no matter what. Peace be with you!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.