HPV Vaccine Will Go to 12-Year-Olds in Scottish Catholic Schools with Church Approval

By Hilary WhiteGLASGOW, September 11, 2008 (LifeSiteNews.com) - The vaccine for Human Papillomavirus (HPV) will be distributed in Scotland’s Catholic schools with the approval of the Scottish bishops after initial objections that it encourages sexual promiscuity in young girls. The government…

Full article…

Regardless of vaccine efficacy, I believe it’s irresponsible to market these vaccines as cervical cancer vaccines. The most immediate danger is that young women may neglect regular Pap smears because of confidence that they are insured against cervical cancer. In reality, only time will tell how effective these vaccines are in preventing cancer.

I understand your concern, but have you seen any studies which suggest this would happen?

No studies to support my concerns, but then there are no studies that prove the vaccines will in fact decrease the number of cervical cancer cases either. The big difference being that I’m not advertising a pharmaceutical product.

I’m simply drawing conclusions based on the fact that certain subsets of women have shown ignorance of/ indifference to the requirement for regular Paps and it seems like claims of a ‘cancer vaccine’ rather than an HPV vaccine (which is what the product actually is), might make the drive to get them motivated even more difficult. Kind of like providing rafts to people already disinclined to obey evacuation orders.

there is a possibility that someone receiving this vaccine has the risk of getting guillain-barre syndrome as a side effect which is a devastating illness. i had it at the age of 6 and i possibly got it from a DPT booster vaccine.

there have already been a number of young girls that have gotten guillain-barre syndrome. you become paralyzed. it is very serious and there is a chance of death. depending on the age of the person, it can take up to a year or more to recover and there is very painful rehabilitation.

i happened to see a commercial for this vaccine the other evening on tv.
in the background i heard them mention guillain-barre syndrome, but it is rare and most people do not know what it is.

i am from an older generation, so i didn’t even know what HPV was. i am not sure it is worth the risk of getting the vaccine because of possible side effects.

a friend of mind did tell me that her friend had contacted HPV and indeed get cervical cancer.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.