HRW Says Disabled Children In Russia Face Violence, Isolation, Neglect

**HRW Says Disabled Children In Russia Face Violence, Isolation, Neglect **

When Anastasia Daunis of Moscow gave birth in 1999 to Dasha, a baby with Down syndrome, she says her doctors delivered a bleak prognosis.

“They said, 'Usually, kids like that never develop. They are just like vegetables in the garden,” Daunis, who is in her early 30s, recalls. “They told me she would die in my arms, that her illness was so severe that she would need constant care. They compared her to a broken toy that you can return to the store.”

The HRW report finds that nearly 30 percent of all Russian children with disabilities are removed from their parents and live in state orphanages, where they face neglect and sometimes violence. The rights watchdog also says doctors and staff often discourage familial contact once the children are institutionalized, saying the kids become “spoiled” by such attention.

rferl.org/content/russia-disabled-children-human-rights-watch-report/26584457.html

This article from 2008 shows racist attacks were on the rise in Russia. I haven’t heard different.

abc.net.au/news/2008-10-07/racist-attacks-on-the-rise-in-russia/533504

This is why I’m 100% against Russian aggression. They helped Assad in Syria who a lot of commentators say helped the rise of ISIS.

Your post was a bit incongruous with the title.

Why not just title it “I hate Russians”?

Do you also oppose American aggression?

The idea that Assad assisted IS to rise is laughable at best. It’s well known that the Americans and Saudis were the ones to arm, train, and fund the terrorists.

This is so heartbreaking to hear, although sadly it does not surprise me owing to the propaganda of the new state-cult in Putin’s Russia which is centred around “manliness”, able-body-ness, physical strength and health. In such a world, in which one’s role model is a bare-chested little man standing atop a bear and riding a motorbike, it does not surprise me that some of the most vulnerable people who fail to conform to the regime’s model of the ideal Russian would be so horridly mistreated.

The thread title matches the title of the news article, as per forum rules. What’s your beef?

Whilst it’s horrible, it’s no less horrible than the treatment that many disabled people receive in the US and UK-they might not make it out of the womb alive because their eugist parents don’t want them.

Actually it is far from ludicrous. It has been noted by numerous commentators on the war that Assad released many of the ISIS leaders from jail to help fragment the opposition and increase the visibility of hardcore Islamists in their ranks. The tactic backfired, however, because ISIS actually outgrew even the most militant Islamists already within the opposition, as well as every other group, to become an even more formidable enemy of both Assad and the Free Syrian Army.

And Russia doesn’t have abortion? :mad:

Russia still has abortion, but key figures in Russian government are working to get rid of it. Compare that to the West where the government pushes as much infanticide as it can.

The truth is that Putin is making Russia into an ever more martial society in which physical fitness is extolled as the greatest virtue. Every image of Putin is tailored by his propaganda team to make him appear like some macho superhuman. When spectators from abroad stayed in hotels in Sochi for the Winter Olympics earlier this year, many were disgusted that their hotel rooms were suffused with semi-nude images of Putin in various daring sporting positions.

There is a very, very dark side to this “cult of personality” and ideology as witnessed by this article.

The Putin Myth is reaching disturbing heights, such as this:

rferl.org/content/feature/26573039.html

In Russia, Orthodox Radical Ponders Putin’s Divinity

MOSCOW – God is inside Vladimir Putin. A divine light transfixed Putin’s essence after his secret baptism as a child. We are not worthy of the Russian president.

These were a few of the tenets advanced by radical Russian Orthodox activist Dmitry Tsorionov in a September 7 lecture that marked one of the more bizarre expressions of a many-faceted grassroots cult of personality surrounding Russia’s paramount ruler.

Feverish Putin adulation layered with irony filled the dimmed auditorium in Moscow’s trendy Kitai Gorod district. Many of the 60 or so attendees filmed the proceedings using iPhones and iPads, sometimes laughing out loud and sometimes breaking into thundering applause.

Proceedings kicked off with a tinny but swaggering rap track dedicated to Russia’s leader of 15 years that featured the refrain “I go hard like Vladimir Putin.” An overhead projector displayed a picture of Putin with a caption that read: “Vladimir Putin and God.”

Tsorionov, known for his hard-line Orthodox activism under the pseudonym “Enteo,” praised Putin’s apparent ability to survive assassination attempts and lauded his “good deeds,” such as crushing opposition protests. He first turned to Putin’s early years, beginning with the Russian president’s secret baptism.

“A divine light at the moment when [Putin] left his baptism transfixed his essence, restoring the destroyed depths of his being, and giving him an anthological ability to acquire celestial energy,” Tsorionov said.

This allowed the young Putin to “unite with God,” he added.

“Moreover, he was summoned to do so,” Tsorionov said. “The evil spirit was chased out of his heart.”

‘We’re Not Worthy’

As techno music murmured in the background, Tsorionov paced with a microphone in front of a large screen showing psychedelic lights. He opened by citing Vladislav Surkov, once the Kremlin’s chief ideologist, who said in 2011 that Putin “was sent to Russia by fate and by the Lord.”

Tsorionov cited the Russian government’s harsh crackdown on opposition protests and Putin PR stunts like his staged discovery of sunken artifacts and his participation in the rescue of endangered cranes as divinely inspired acts.

“Without a doubt he does good deeds, and for this God gives him grace,” Tsorionov said. “He strengthens his presence in Vladimir Putin, and Vladimir Putin becomes a living temple. God has been placed inside this little Vladimir Putin. This is a fact.”

It was hard to gauge the crowd’s real opinions, although laughter rang out as regularly as the applause. On social networks, the event was met with chortles and derision.

“Did anyone actually go?” one Internet commenter wrote.

“**** and obscurantism,” wrote another.

“Putin recently said that no authority, no state authority is higher than the authority of the Lord,” Tsorionov continued. “He knows that all authority is of the Lord and that he rules reality.”

He asked the crowd whether Putin was sent to absolve the nation of its sins.

“We kill tens of millions of our children. We betray our wives. We don’t go to Church. We smoke hashish,” Tsorionov said. “Meanwhile, Vladimir Vladimirovich, the boss, is praying seriously for us all. Of course we are not worthy.”

Anna Arutyunyan, author of the book “The Putin Mystique: Inside Russia’s Power Cult,” said the lecture echoed theologically based propaganda from the Byzantine Empire, primarily the “godliness” of the emperor.
Arutyunyan, a Moscow-based journalist who attended the lecture, added that Tsorionov was careful to preserve some ambiguity in his message.

“[He] was trying to avoid obviously full-fledged idolatry. That’s something that would not fly with Christians. I don’t think he has a good enough grasp of Byzantine theology to independently work out this very fine line between what’s acceptable propaganda and what’s outright blasphemous idolatry.”

Tsorionov gained notoriety for stunts targeting those he deems enemies of the Orthodox faith, particularly the ***** Riot art collective, which saw two of its members handed prison sentences for a 2012 guerrilla performance critical of Putin and the church at a Moscow cathedral.

He is not alone in invoking biblical language when discussing the Russian leader.

Tsorionov’s lecture came two days after Patriarch Filaret of the Kyiv Patriarchate said Putin was under “Satan’s influence” and blamed the Russian president squarely for the war in Ukraine.

“Like the first fratricide of history, Cain, these deeds show that the aforementioned ruler has fallen under the action of Satan,” Filaret said of Putin.

Tsorionov did not respond to these remarks. But he said he would dedicate his next lecture to Russian opposition leader Aleksei Navalny.

The subject: Will Aleksei Navalny go to hell

If that is not frightening then I do not know what else ever could be.

Please can you give evidence in support of your assertion that disabled children are treated badly in the U.K? I believe you to be mistaken, having spent most of my teaching career with children and young adults encompassing the full range of profound and multiple disabilities.
Parents are supported by comprehensive, multi-disciplinary teams and education is provided for children from 2 to 19+, wherever possible within mainstream schools. With respect, it is cruel to comment in a generalised and negative way about parents of children with special needs. They taught me so much and their loving commitment was frequently truly humbling.

I think Hobbes was referring to the aborting of babies about whom in utero tests find out that they are disabled. [S]he can correct me if I am wrong. That does happen in the UK and in the U.S.

Since Russia notoriously has one of if not the highest rate of abortions in the world, maybe they do this as well.

In 1920, Russia became the first country in the world to allow abortion in all circumstances, but over the course of the 20th century, the legality of abortion changed more than once, with a ban being enacted again from 1936 to 1955. Russia had the highest number of abortions per woman of child-bearing age in the world according to UN data as of 2010.[2*

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abortion_in_Russia

Thank you for intervening. :thumbsup: I obviously misunderstood and apologise :o
God bless you.

Russia doesn’t “still have” abortion as if to minimize it, they are a world leader in Abortion, an evil agenda still clearly upheld in Russia and at alarming levels. read the statistics, in 2012 there were about 42 abortions per 100 live births. :rolleyes:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.