https://www.quora.com/What-do-Protestants-and-Catholics-think-of-Mormons/answer/James-Hough-1

That’s not necessary. I just wanted to confirm you see there is a difference in their interpretation, against what Catholics and Protestants say about God.

Thank you! I had no idea there were so many! The only denominations I knew of were Mormons and JW’s…I guess I’ve led a sheltered life😂.

Most on that list, I assume, are very small? I’ll look into some you’ve listed. I wonder if some are a single church or just a few churches… interesting!

The question was where is the doctrine of the Trinity found in the Bible. I responded using a quote from a Catholic scholar. I would expect a Catholic scholar to personally believe in the doctrine of the Trinity, but that detail does not answer the question.

Please share how my interpretation is incorrect and disregards many other scriptural references

Please provide what you believe to be the correct context.

Other posters have done that already. I already gave you the article with the scriptural references.

Many believe that a better translation for the Shema is:

“Hear O’ Israel, the Lord is our God, the Lord Alone

(Please note that I am neither a Hebrew scholar, nor do I play one on TV!)

For a fuller explanation see http://www.egrc.net/articles/Rock/Puzzling_Passages/LordAlone.html

The bottom line is that the shema does not attempt to explain the number of gods, but rather that the Israelites made a covenant with God and God alone.

Perhaps you’re referring to the account of Stephen who was stoned.

Acts 7:56 and he said, “Behold, I see the heavens opened and the Son of Man standing at the right hand of God.”

Here are several verses that describe more that one person as being “one”.

Hebrews 2:11 For both he that sanctifieth and they who are sanctified are all of one: for which cause he is not ashamed to call them brethren.

Genesis 2:24 Therefore shall a man leave his father and his mother, and shall cleave unto his wife; and they shall be one flesh.

1 Corinthians 3:8,9 Now he that planteth and he that watereth are one: and every man shall receive his own reward according to his own labour. For we are labourers together with God: ye are God’s husbandry, ye are God’s building.

I hope this helps…

John 1 supports latter-day Saint doctrine nicely.

In the beginning was the Word [Christ], and the Word [Christ] was with God [the Father], and the Word [Christ] was God [the Son].

This verse also refutes the doctrine of the Trinity since the Word is with God - meaning that the Word and God are two separate beings.

How did you determine the two different identities of God? Why the switch?

The Jehovah Witnesses have their own Bible that has changed John 1:1 to read “In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was a God.” to fit their theology. I don’t think the Mormons have done this.

All versions tell us that Christ was God, not a god, and God became flesh. As Mormons have said, they believe flesh, Christ, become another God. The opposite of what the Apostle John is telling us.

The one triune God, the uncreated creator, created with his Word.
My thoughts and my words are me, and they with me.
This is the oneness of Christ to the Father; they are the same being.

Many believe…weasel words. Many believe the earth is flat. Many believe the philosophy of a brain in a vat. Many believe Joseph Smith is a prophet. Many believe a lot of things that are empirically false.

The Covenant is with God alone because there is one God. Certainly no one, except maybe you, has ever argued that the Shema has underlying Mormon polyethistc themes of plural gods with one major god that is deserving of worship and adoration. All other gods minor in comparison, in the fashion of a pyramid scheme.

God the Father
                                       / \
                                      Jesus
                                    /       \
                                  Holy Ghost
                                 /             \
                              ———————————
                              | After 2nd coming |
                              ———————————
                            /                       \
                              Mormon prophets
                          /                            \
                           All other Mormon men
                       /                                  \
                              Heavenly Mother
                    /                                        \
                              Mormon women

The other gods that the Hebrews believed in and worshipped had names, like Ba’al or Ashera. Basically the Mormon interpretation of the golden calf incident is that they were onto something in their belief of other gods, just had a huge lack of understanding or of the hierarchy of the Mormon pantheon. Hello, only the top god is worshipped.

I have read some so-called Mormon “scholars” believe the goddess Ashera was a name used in ancient times for the Mormon Heavenly Mother.

low whistle
Ok that is just …
Reminds me of the strange theories Hugh Nibley had

Gazelam you quoted a statement the author used in a slightly facetious way. In reading the rest of the paragraph (linked below) one can see Mr. Hill in no way denies the trinity. Now maybe you only had access to the one quote and had no idea how to find the paragraph in full or possibly you were able to find it in full, realized it’s meaning, knew it would refute what you claimed it said and chose not to reveal it here. Either way I’ve come to the rescue.

In the link go to page 26 and find the sentence and read the whole paragraph. Mr Hill, a Catholic scholar does not refute the trinity as @Gazelam claims.

https://books.google.com/books/about/The_Three_personed_God.html?id=OxIm91L86mgC&printsec=frontcover&source=kp_read_button#v=onepage&q&f=false

As far as the trinity being found in the bible: Luke 2: 31-35, Luke 3:21-22, John 1:29-34, Matthew 3:13-17, Mark 1:9-11, try these for a start.

IMHO if one starts with the premise that the Father and the Son are the same God, then the statement “The Word was with God” is nonsensical since its the same as saying “God was with God”. That’s how I see it. What are your thoughts?

CCC 233 Defines the Trinity as the almighty Father, his only Son and the Holy Spirit".

Inserting this definition in place of “God” in John 1:1 we have:

In the beginning was the Word [Christ], and the Word [Christ] was with God [the almighty Father, his only Son and the Holy Spirit], and the Word [Christ] was God [the almighty Father, his only Son and the Holy Spirit].

Do you really want to go with a statement that says Christ is the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit?

CCC 254 The divine persons are really distinct from one another .

God is with God. The Trinity. Makes sense to me.

Wherever one part of the Holy Trinity is present, so are all three. When we pray to Jesus, we are also praying to God the Father and God the Holy Spirit. Likewise, Jesus and the Holy Spirit were present at the creation of the Earth. They are one.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.