Huckabee, Looking to 2016 Race, Speaks of ‘a Real Opportunity for Me’

Former Gov. Mike Huckabee of Arkansas has not been among the Republicans frequently named as a potential 2016 presidential candidate, but he would like that to change.

“I’m keeping the door open,” Mr. Huckabee said in an interview here Thursday night about the possibility of seeking his party’s nomination again. “I think right now the focus needs to be on 2014, but I’m mindful of the fact that there’s a real opportunity for me.”

nytimes.com/2013/12/14/us/politics/huckabee-open-to-joining-2016-gop-presidential-field.html?hp&_r=2&

He'd get my vote!

I am an independent. But I think Mike Huckabee is one of the best republicans out there. Probably the best.

I like Huckabee.

:p

[quote="estesbob, post:1, topic:348036"]
Former Gov. Mike Huckabee of Arkansas has not been among the Republicans frequently named as a potential 2016 presidential candidate, but he would like that to change.

“I’m keeping the door open,” Mr. Huckabee said in an interview here Thursday night about the possibility of seeking his party’s nomination again. “I think right now the focus needs to be on 2014, but I’m mindful of the fact that there’s a real opportunity for me.”

nytimes.com/2013/12/14/us/politics/huckabee-open-to-joining-2016-gop-presidential-field.html?hp&_r=2&

He'd get my vote!

[/quote]

We still have two years before any body will get to far ahead in the 'potentian 2016 presidential candidate'. :) :p :shrug:

There will be a lot of potential candidates dying to run against Obama's record. Republicans will have a lot of choices. I hope they don't choose to run a dumb campaign again, because the Obama years will take a lot of effort to clean up and another four years of the same will be hugely destructive to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness.

I like him, too.

He'd get my vote!

[/quote]

Like him, but I don't know how effective of a candidate he would be. His biggest strengths are that he was a governor and doesn't waver, but I think we need a more dynamic ticket than another straight married rich old white male from the South. I hate to even say that, but is how this game is played. People vote based on appearance and to some extent the home state of the president/vice president should be considered.

[quote="Trader, post:5, topic:348036"]
There will be a lot of potential candidates dying to run against Obama's record. Republicans will have a lot of choices. I hope they don't choose to run a dumb campaign again, because the Obama years will take a lot of effort to clean up and another four years of the same will be hugely destructive to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness.

[/quote]

Unfortunately, it's already starting. A former republican in South Dakota announced he might run as an independent, and the TEA PARTY is challenging John Coryn and Thad Cochran because he voted to confirm some people to keep the government running.

Cochran's seat could be up for grabs if he loses the primary, and if we lose that seat and SD, we may well lose the Senate.

I don't think people understand how important it is to win the Senate in order to boost our chances at the White House in 2016.

It would enable people to finally see what the republicans are putting in front of Obama, it will put him in the hot seat meaning he won't be able to campaign much in 2016.

As for idealistic conservatives and independents, if they want 30 and 2 seats respectively because of all these principles---- which frankly I don't think most of them aren't willing to make once things really do get bad-----the progressives who want to make the Catholic Church pay for contraception and force Christians to make cakes for gay "weddings" will take that every single time there is an election.

It's like a team in football that's down by 14 with 5 minutes to go and they are running the ball to get the running back better stats. :rolleyes:

[quote="SuperLuigi, post:7, topic:348036"]
Like him, but I don't know how effective of a candidate he would be. His biggest strengths are that he was a governor and doesn't waver, but I think we need a more dynamic ticket than another straight married rich old white male from the South. I hate to even say that, but is how this game is played. People vote based on appearance and to some extent the home state of the president/vice president should be considered.

[/quote]

Haven't you noticed that leftist secular media attacks conservative women and conservative minorities even more viciously than they do to white male conservatives? Some examples off the top of my head are Sarah Palin, Clarence Thomas, Michele Bachmann, Christine O'Donnell, and Condoleezza Rice.

He'd get my vote!

[/quote]

Promoting political candidates on these forums is forbidden.

[quote="SuperLuigi, post:7, topic:348036"]

[/quote]

Huckabee has been the only Republican candidate thus far that has actually been able to appeal to minorities, despite being a white guy from the south.

[quote="livingwordunity, post:9, topic:348036"]
Haven't you noticed that leftist secular media attacks conservative women and conservative minorities even more viciously than they do to white male conservatives? Some examples off the top of my head are Sarah Palin, Clarence Thomas, Michele Bachmann, Christine O'Donnell, and Condoleezza Rice.

[/quote]

Of course they do! They have to because if the GOP got even a fraction of voters from the "groups" the represent, the democrats would not win a national election.

That's why we need a more dynamic ticket.

And trust me, you put a minority on there, there's a lot of independent & democrat voters out there who will not tolerate liberal, rich, white men like Stewart, Colbert, Krugman, Hollywood actors or the elite white media attacking them.

But really, it doesn't matter who we run, the media won't like him/her. Just look at McCain. He even reportedly tossed around the idea of making Joe Lieberman the VP and that still wasn't good enough to get even a sliver of the praise Obama got.

[quote="TRH1292, post:11, topic:348036"]

Huckabee has been the only Republican candidate thus far that has actually been able to appeal to minorities, despite being a white guy from the south.

[/quote]

Appeal is not enough. It comes down to checking the R box over the D box.

People ask me in so many words why the democrats go so far to the left and still win, and the answer is because they know that when certain people see the word REPUBLICAN on the ballot, it's no contest.

Until the GOP figures this out, they'll be taking a back seat to liberals in national elections.

Actually, Huckabee has a long way to go to get the appeal that Christie has among those groups.

I'm trying to state on facts on here.

I haven't decided yet who I would support, but be assured that the non-negotiables and ability to win will have a lot to do with it.

Right now, I think the best thing would be to have a variety of candidates run, but I'd really rather not see anyone from 2012 run in 2016.

One thing we should be able to agree on: Hilary's coronation has been slowing down big time. :thumbsup:

[quote="tjones80, post:10, topic:348036"]

[/quote]

That is not promoting a candidate.

[quote="livingwordunity, post:9, topic:348036"]

[/quote]

With all due respect, Christine O'Donnell brought much of the criticism on herself. Michele Bachmann is a conservative firebrand. You have to be firm and truly conservative, yet somehow appeal to a wide audience - Reagan knew that but Goldwater didn't. Bachman doesn't know it either. Palin, if she had more gravitas and intellectual vigor would be a huge problem for the Democrats.

I think the future of the Republican party is not with Huckabee - a southern, white, conservative protestant. But with the diverse group of governors and senators we have now: the Marco Rubio's, Jindal's, etc. I am not sure what the attraction to Huckabee is all about - he has a TV show that I've never found interesting. What are his strengths? I think we can do better than an also ran from 2008.

Ishii

[quote="tjones80, post:10, topic:348036"]

[/quote]

He is not a candidate.

In any event, Hillary will win simply by having the (D) next to her name. The takers know who will keep their checks coming and vote accordingly.

[quote="ishii, post:16, topic:348036"]
With all due respect, Christine O'Donnell brought much of the criticism on herself. Michele Bachmann is a conservative firebrand. You have to be firm and truly conservative, yet somehow appeal to a wide audience - Reagan knew that but Goldwater didn't. Bachman doesn't know it either. Palin, if she had more gravitas and intellectual vigor would be a huge problem for the Democrats.

I think the future of the Republican party is not with Huckabee - a southern, white, conservative protestant. But with the diverse group of governors and senators we have now: the Marco Rubio's, Jindal's, etc. I am not sure what the attraction to Huckabee is all about - he has a TV show that I've never found interesting. What are his strengths? I think we can do better than an also ran from 2008.

Ishii

[/quote]

Huckabee is likable for the same reason people like Sherriff Andy Taylor from Mayberry. He just seems likable. He's the political equivalent of Aunt Bee's warm pecan pie.

Never mind the fact Huckabee had some fiscal issues that should scare conservatives as Governor. Socially, he is spot on most issues. I'd vote for him in a heartbeat. After eight years of this economy and expansion of executive power, anybody who wouldn't clearly has some things to work out.

I just worry about retreads from failed campaigns of the past. I'd frankly like to forget everything about John McCain, including him, and those surrounding the 2008 campaign. Given the love for Obama back then, that was as low as America has ever been, morally and intellectually.

If Hillary runs, she wins. What GOP candidate can rally conservative Tea Party types, socially moderate Rockefeller Republicans, Independents, and Hispanics in sufficient numbers to defeat Hillary Clinton? I withdrew from the American political process immediately after Obama's re-election, so I no longer vote. In a hypothetical election, I would support a Jeb Bush - Marco Rubio ticket.

[quote="Tampa_Dave, post:19, topic:348036"]
If Hillary runs, she wins. What GOP candidate can rally conservative Tea Party types, socially moderate Rockefeller Republicans, Independents, and Hispanics in sufficient numbers to defeat Hillary Clinton? I withdrew from the American political process immediately after Obama's re-election, so I no longer vote. In a hypothetical election, I would support a Jeb Bush - Marco Rubio ticket.

[/quote]

Marco Rubio. Bobby Jindal. Chris Christie (not my first choice). I don't think Hillary will inevitably win. The media and the left will try to make it a coronation, a fait accompli. Look for "GOP war on women redux" Rubio could rally Hispanics, tea partiers, etc. Socially moderate Republicans will vote for the GOP over the tax and spend Democrat. A lot will hinge on the fallout from Obamacare, as well as the outcome of the 2014 midterms. If the GOP does well, then I think that increases their chances in 2016. I like Jeb Bush, but I think he has the wrong last name.

One thing is for sure: Hillary will have an easier time winning if good people withdraw from the politics and no longer vote.

Ishii

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.