Huckabee says he'll drop out if he doesn't place in the top three in Iowa

The former governor of Arkansas — who’s been a long-shot candidate relegated to the undercard primary debates during the 2016 presidential campaign — told Iowa radio host Simon Conway on Wednesday night, “If we can’t come within striking distance of the victory or win it, then I think we recognize that it’s going to be hard to take that onto the other states.”

Read more: politico.com/story/2015/12/mike-huckabee-iowa-future-radio-interview-217119#ixzz3vFpAZ5h1

He won’t. And then there will be 12.

Even if he does well in Iowa, he is just postponing his agony if he doesn’t drop out…Iowa is irrelevant in the grander scheme of things.

I wasn’t even sure he was still in the race. At least he’ll be gone after Iowa. However, politicians have been known to break their promise a time or two. Huckabee has had a number of very telling gaffes during the campaign, and many of his positions are untenable in the land of the free.

I don’t think he was ever really “in” the race since he had no chance of getting the nomination to begin with.

I never knew he was even in the campaign; he should quit now and save money.

ICXC NIKA

I agree.

I don’t understand why candidates with no chance of getting nominated even run in the first place.

It could be any number of reasons: narcissism, hubris, a misunderstanding of their true popularity and/or the popularity of their message, the chance to be interviewed and enhance their personal ‘brand’, the longshot hope of a VP nod, etc.

correct. VP not or perhaps a spot on the Cabinet or Ambassadorship.

There are some that should drop out now… I like Mr. Huckabee, but wish he would drop out now too. Just too many on that stage.

At this point in the 2008 race, Obama had no chance of getting nominated.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.