Human Beings Are Not Vegetables (Redux)

.....or, "Another Reason For More Intellectual Humility in the Medical Profession"

Another case study for review:

Chase Britton, Boy Without a Cerebellum, Baffles Doctors

Another case…

michellemalkin.com/2008/02/27/haleigh-poutre-speaks/

It makes me so angry when I hear people refer to someone in a coma state as a "vegetable." we are not nor have we EVER been vegetables! Even unconscious I am still a fully alive HUMAN BEING, I have not been transformed into a turnip or a carrot! Just another way to dehumanize us and make us feel as if euthanasia is akin to throwing out a leftover vegetable.

:mad:

[quote="TheRealJuliane, post:3, topic:229712"]
It makes me so angry when I hear people refer to someone in a coma state as a "vegetable." we are not nor have we EVER been vegetables! Even unconscious I am still a fully alive HUMAN BEING, I have not been transformed into a turnip or a carrot! Just another way to dehumanize us and make us feel as if euthanasia is akin to throwing out a leftover vegetable.

:mad:

[/quote]

Amen, Juliane. Amen.

Terms are very, very important in the struggle.

I don't see a problem with referring to a person in a certain state as a "vegetable" as long as we recognize that he/she is a human being. To me, it's not different than referring to Elton John as a nut. He's still human; we are simply using metaphors.

The real problem surfaces when the next stop involves dehumanizing behavior.

This gives more weight to the argument that humans aren't just "lumps of cells." If someone is alive, heart beating, lungs breathing, then that person isn't just a "lump of cells" or "vegetable" or whatever situation you have. And even then, if the person is dead - he/she was still a person, and deserves dignity even in death, as he/she should in life.

[quote="Nec5, post:5, topic:229712"]
I don't see a problem with referring to a person in a certain state as a "vegetable" as long as we recognize that he/she is a human being. To me, it's not different than referring to Elton John as a nut. He's still human; we are simply using metaphors.

The real problem surfaces when the next stop involves dehumanizing behavior.

[/quote]

I understand your point, but I don't know of anyone or any government that has supported the violation of Elton's right to life because he's a "nut." Conversely, people who are termed "vegetables" (like Terri Schiavo) are having their right to life violated. When the culture and the government reach that point, then the terms themselves are important. They really do not see "vegetables" as truly human beings any longer. The terms reinforce the perception. We face the same sort of terminological battle in regard to abortion. "Pro-choice" is used to mask what the choice involves. The word "choice" certainly sounds positive, doesn't it? That's why so many in the pro-life movement like Fr. Pavone insist on "pro-abortion" or "pro-abortion rights."

[quote="TheRealJuliane, post:3, topic:229712"]
It makes me so angry when I hear people refer to someone in a coma state as a "vegetable."

[/quote]

Me, too. :mad:

I always found the expression "vegetable" offensive. I guess it comes from the medically correct term "vegetative state", but I never understood why would the media say "this person is a vegetable", instead of "this person is in a vegetative state". After all, vegetables have absolutely nothing to do with such medical terms as the "vegetative nervous system", "vegetative functions", and "vegetative state".

I thought it was just sloppiness, but maybe I was too naive. There's probably a more evil purpose behind it, just as you and others suggested - the term may be deliberately used to dehumanize the person.

Another example of this is how the pro-abortion people use the term "fetus". They try to obfuscate the fact that "fetus" is simply a "baby". "Fetus" in Latin means "small child" or "baby". But they won't say "we are going to perform an abortion, and we are going to kill your baby". No, what they will say instead, is "we are going to terminate the pregnancy, and we are going to remove this lump of cells (or tissue, or fetus, but never baby)". They will never use the words "abortion" and "baby" in the same sentence. Heck, they won't even say "abortion" - they will use euphemisms like "termination".

Indeed, we need to fight back, and insist on using the correct terminology.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.