Human Dignity

Something that I have noticed profoundly affecting modern society, especially, it seems, in younger people, is a strong lack of self-worth. To me, this derives from the majority of people seemingly not believing in the inherent dignity of humanity as creations of God, whether they believe in God or not. Even some practicing Catholics don't seem to fully aknowledge the wonderful, amazing beauty and lovable nature of humans. I of course am not exempt from this. Due to past habits, I sometimes find myself feeling self-loathing, or anger towards others. But, I also try to love people, and sometimes the dignity of people astounds me and fills me with great love for people simply for their existence as soulful, God-image humans.

This is why it fills me with sadness to hear so many people, again mostly teen-thirties, hating themselves and sometimes even contemplating suicide, especially if their life has many difficulties - though sometimes even that isn't a requirement. I have a couple friends who treat themselves this way, and despite my comforting and encouragement they continue in it, and it hurts me deeply. I used to feel this way about myself, but when I converted to Catholicism, I realized that God loves me and that despite whatever mistakes I make or flaws I have, I am still inherently good as His creation. This gives me a sort of confidence - in God - that has afforded my life a greater support than it ever had, despite the many problems I have in my life. It gives me the courage to try and improve myself, to be happy, and even aids me in my love of others as I see my own human dignity in them as well.

I just truly wish that so many unfortunate people could recognize the astounding beautiful and gracious human dignity God has given us - one of many Catholic beliefs people should accept, for their own good and the good of all, as often one's own devotion and goodness is reflected and imitated by others.

I ask my wonderful Virgin Mother Mary to intercede for me in my prayer that all could recognize their own dignity and the dignity of all humans as wonderful creations of God. :)

[quote="scameter18, post:1, topic:183026"]
I ask my wonderful Virgin Mother Mary to intercede for me in my prayer that all could recognize their own dignity and the dignity of all humans as wonderful creations of God. :)

[/quote]

Amen!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.