Human/pig hybrid

Does anyone else feel that this is wrong? I can understand why they want to research this, but I don’t feel that it is a good thing to try. I think the scientists are providing a false hope to many people that are in need of transplants. I don’t know, I am torn. If God wanted such hybrids, he would have created them himself.
Any thoughts?
usatoday.com/story/news/nation-now/2016/06/06/uc-davis-california-chimera-part-human-part-pig-embryos–scientists-grow-organ-transplants/85506798/

While the headlines tend to be a bit sensationalist, as they are trying to create pigs that have human organs inside them for harvesting, not some weird science fiction chimera, there’s still a lot of ethics questions that I’m not sure they can really answer.

If we create this new kind of pig and it has a human heart, a human liver, and the like… Will it have a human brain? If it has an evolved human brain, does that mean it has sapience? Can it think and feel, possessing a human brain? And if so, wouldn’t using it simply to harvest its organs be unethical?

I read the story yesterday and I thought it was the stuff of nightmares, in some respects. Pig/human embryos are being made and then destroyed.

This is not how things were meant to be, the good intentions notwithstanding.

My understanding is that the genes controlling the growth of particular organs wanted (pancreas, liver, whatever), are swapped into the usual pig’s ones, so what you end up with in effect is a regular pig, with a human pancreas. As is well known pig and human DNA is remarkably similar anyway. However while it I suppose could be possible to ‘programme’ in the development of a human brain, that doesn’t mean that such a brain would develop the consciousness you and I have (and that a pig does not). I guess the short answer is we don’t know. I’m not in favour of anything that increases our ill-use of animals as it is so I can’t say I’m delighted with this news.

While I don’t find the idea frightening or even that disturbing (if I needed a new heart I’d probably not be too bothered if it came from a pig), I think it does raise ethical questions regarding the creation and manipulation of life.

What I think is ultimately wanted is to be able to grow full organs in a laboratory, using adult stem cells taken from the patient. My understanding is that for the moment the pig is kind of a half-way stage to getting there.

The scientists are not creating porcine-human or human-pig life. The animals are pigs, with one or more human organs (not the brain).

One or more internal organs doth not a body make; these are not human beings. Methinks this isn’t worth the botherment.

ICXC NIKA.

… I have know clue what to think of this. Subscribed to read responses of others…

Mary.

We have had these for years. My geography teacher for one. ( I know I didn’t take geography, but I did not want to out other teachers in public. ) A lot of them moved into politics in our country. No, I don’t live in America.

There needs to be control put on the scientific community. They shouldn’t be allowed to do this.

Sadly, pigs and human have a lot in common.

I’m always wary of the openness of this argument to a ‘slippery-slope’ but you’re right; it’s essentially a shortcut version of selectively breeding thousands upon millions of generations of pigs until one has a compatible organ you can use for a transplant.

However I think the reticence from most people (including myself) is that it opens up the possibility down the line of fusing different kinds of life (for however beneficent and noble an original reason), which is perhaps something we ought to be wary of. At some point we will end up with a Genetic Tower of Babel.

This isn’t a human-pig. As noted by others, it’s a pig with a few human organs that can be used to help humans if required. The argument that if God wanted such hybrids he would have created them Himself (as stated by the OP) seems a bit flawed to me. God gave us reason and the power of sub-creation. God didn’t directly create houses, so is it immoral to build houses? Or forgetting genetic experimentation, what about old fashion breeding? Over thousands of years we deliberately bred wolves into domestic dogs, refashioning a mighty beast of the forest into a suitable pet.

And who would you trust to exert this control? The civil government? They are even less trustworthy.

ICXC NIKA

As long as human beings per se are not part of the experiment, I’d say ok.

There is nothing per se sacred about natural species as we see them.

ICXC NIKA

Using that kind of logic, one could justify just about anything and everything science will try to do, maybe if one day they find a way to clone human beings in a lab and churn them out like an assembly line, we can still assume its all acceptable to God, because Hey, we are using our God given brains to do these things.

Plus, we are only assuming that this is just a few human organs in a pigs body, and not some hybrid human-pig thing, we have no idea what they are doing behind closed doors, I would not put it past modern science to try and create some human animal hybrid, if for nothing more than to see if they can do it.

:rotfl:

I had this mathematics teacher once… :slight_smile:

I doubt very highly that they could make a hybrid, but it wouldn’t stop them from trying. There have been a lot of “mad” scientists in the past. (see my link below). I’m sure there are more of them now. The stuff they do to animals is sickening.

bestcollegereviews.org/10-incredible-real-life-mad-scientists/

You can also grow all manner of human stuff on humans and only using that human’s cells (not other animals) and then transplant them to a better location.

Stem cells from our own body fat can be used and I’m sure there’s no shortage of that. :slight_smile:

Scientists Use Stem Cells To Grow Body Parts In Their Lab, Including Noses, Ears, And Tear Ducts
medicaldaily.com/scientists-use-stem-cells-grow-body-parts-their-lab-including-noses-ears-and-tear-ducts-275122

A revolutionary procedure involving a patient’s own stem cells has allowed British researchers to grow artificial body parts in their lab, including noses, ears, tear ducts, and blood vessels, which they can then reattach to the patient’s body.

Researchers at the University College London have developed a technique they say is similar to baking a cake — only their oven is a little more sophisticated. They’ve already developed smaller organs, such as blood vessels and windpipes, although they hope to be the first scientists to transplant a nose made partly of stem cells. Last year, team leader Alexander Seifalian and his colleagues attached a lab-grown nose onto the arm of a British man who’d lost his own nose to cancer. The skin has engulfed the nose, accepting it; all that remains is the approval to transplant it.

The body parts are made of a polymer material that includes a scaffolding mold and stem cell samples taken from patients’ fat. To get the desired spongy texture for the man’s artificial nose, the team added a mixture of salt and sugar to the mold. Seifalian holds a patent on the polymer used to make noses and hopes to extend it to include other organs. Currently, he and his team are working on building coronary arteries, although ears are admittedly the most challenging.

Yeah and remember that mouse with a human ear growing out of it?

Do you mean this guy. Looks like a mouse with something that looks like a giant mouse ear growing out of it.

Vacanti mouse
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vacanti_mouse

yep that’s the one

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.