Human Rights Group Portrays U.S. as Major Threat, Citing Trump

More fake news. Apparently the US is only a major threat to human rights when a Republican is in office. President Obama can give us 8 years of constant war, drone strikes, and kill lists, and nothing…

nytimes.com/2017/01/12/us/politics/human-rights-watch-trump.html?smid=tw-share&_r=0

It’s worth noting that Barack Obama is the only president in all of USA history to be in a war every single day of his time in the Oval Office.

Naturally, the human rights watchdogs will be coming out again just like the media will have to do its job.

No wonder why so many of them are so cranky…they’ve had it easy for almost 10 years by choice and have to do some real investigative work now! :blush:

I see. It’s fake news because there is no organization called “human rights watch” and they didn’t portray Trump as a threat? The New York Times made up the entire story, in a similar way that super market tabloids would make ups stories like “Buffalo area dog is believed to be the reincarnation of Clark Gable”?

It’s not fake news. ‘Human Rights’ Watch actually carried out lazy and faulty analysis. I’m no fan of Trump (sceptical but prove me wrong approach) but I don’t see how people mainly on the left of centre being hysterical is going to stop Trump from being President. If anything, it’s making me want to falsely support Trump with enthusiasm.

The news is real. What the NY Times reported really happened. You can go the the Human Rights Watch website yourself and see. Now you may disagree with Human Rights Watch and think Human Rights Watch is a left-wing tool and unworthy of name. But that doesn’t make NY Times reporting any less accurate. Real news - not fake.

Oh, I don’t have any reason to think NYT is inventing the tale that Human Rights Watch is in an anti-Trump lather. That can be believed without the NYT even saying it.

And yet no word about the rights of the unborn being butchered daily.

Trump can be vulgar at times. Everyone knows that. It’s not a good feature to be sure.

But protecting national security and identity is not racism. Identifying problems and addressing them is prudence; ignoring them in the name of “being nice” only makes things worse.

The United States has committed human rights abuses in the past such as with waterboarding and other torture techniques and Human Rights Watch was right to call them out on that. Donald Trump wanting to ban Muslim immigrants and some of his other rhetoric is also threatening to human rights if he carries through with his threats and Human Rights Watch is right to call him out on that too. But, let me guess, weren’t they silent when Barack Obama persecuted Christians by attacking our religious freedom? Isn’t that a double standard? Why only call out conservative attacks on human rights but not liberal attacks on human rights?

HRW did take issue with the drone attacks approved of and used by the Obama administration.

I know some people who didn’t support Trump until all the unfair attacks from both sides.

:thumbsup:

And of course some support him through thick and thin and every last tweet.

Trump is not racist because of his stand against illegal immigration…he has the safety of America as his top priority!

Thank you for pointing that out. I am glad that they did call out the Obama administration on that but they should have called his administration out on their attacks on religious freedom too.

I think people are panicking prematurely, just like they overreacted when Obama was first elected. We need to all calm down and see what happens.

It depends on which of his comments you are talking about. Here is the view from HRW:

Human Rights Watch Executive Director Kenneth Roth linked Trump and his supporters in the U.S. to European far-right parties gaining popularity through divisive policies and rhetoric. According to the group, these parties justify violating human rights because they claim the public accepts it as necessary.

Roth went on to say: “Trump and various politicians in Europe seek power through appeals to racism, xenophobia, misogyny, and nativism. They all claim that the public accepts violations of human rights as supposedly necessary to secure jobs, avoid cultural change, or prevent terrorist attacks. In fact, disregard for human rights offers the likeliest route to tyranny.”

closed #17

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.