Human Rights Watch to Russia: protect LGBT citizens

In its report* License to Harm: Violence and Harassment against LGBT People and Activists
in Russia*, Human Rights Watch accused Russian of failing to protect its citizens who are gay and said that crimes committed against them are rarely prosecuted.

The report documents numerous reports of beatings, abductions, and public humiliations of LGBT Russians and only three cases where crimes were reported to police and subsequently prosecuted.

“All over Russia there has been an increase in attacks by vigilante groups and individuals against LGBT people in the past two years. There has also been an increase in attacks on LGBT activists, and anti-gay groups have used the 2013 law to justify mounting campaigns of harassment and intimidation of LGBT teachers and other school or college staff to get them fired from their jobs. Although Russian law enforcement agencies have the tools to prosecute homophobic violence, there appears to be no will to do so and no policy or instructions from the leadership to take homophobic violence seriously. Aside from several isolated investigations, the authorities have done little to hold assailants accountable,” it says in part.

The report cane be found here.

News link goes to an article on the Keystone XL pipeline; not about Russia

This link is from a BBC report.

Although I know there is often a knee-jerk reaction to resist anything advocated by the LGBTQ movement, I think it is important to remember that individuals within these groups do still face unjust discrimination. By the sounds of it, it seems like this is worse in Russia.

Although, part of my wanders if Human Rights Watch has been so diligent in advocating for Christians experiencing persecution worldwide. I won’t hold my breath.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.