Humana announces it is dropping out of Obamacare in 2018

Regarding the company’s individual commercial medical coverage (Individual Commercial), substantially all of which is offered on-exchange through the federal Marketplaces, Humana has worked over the past several years to address market and programmatic challenges in order to keep coverage options available wherever it could offer a viable product. This has included pursuing business changes, such as modifying networks, restructuring product offerings, reducing the company’s geographic footprint and increasing premiums.

All of these actions were taken with the expectation that the company’s Individual Commercial business would stabilize to the point where the company could continue to participate in the program. However, based on its initial analysis of data associated with the company’s healthcare exchange membership following the 2017 open enrollment period, Humana is seeing further signs of an unbalanced risk pool. Therefore, the company has decided that it cannot continue to offer this coverage for 2018. Through the remainder of 2017, Humana remains committed to serving its current members across 11 states where it offers Individual Commercial products. And, as it has done in the past, Humana will work closely with its state partners as it navigates this process.

humana.newshq.businesswire.com/press-release/current-releases/humana-continues-build-upon-proven-strategy-following-termination-mer

2018? I thought one of the first things DJT and his party promised to do in 2017 was to repeal Obamacare.

Rome wasn’t built in a day.

Many of us are wondering why the doesn’t have a single bill.

On the other hand, I suppose they don’t all agree on the solution. It’s a lot easier to throw up the hands and put it all on government as the answer.

Also, I think Trump is concerned that people may lose coverage temporarily, not understand the issue and blame him.

This is the problem when people become dependent on government.

With the insurance companies pulling out Obamacare is crumbling on its own.

I never supported Obamacare (I don’t think the government has the right to force people to buy insurance) but I do think that now that people are insured who wouldn’t have been otherwise, the Republicans have a responsibility to replace it with something, not simply to repeal.

Looks that way, doesn’t it? Paving the way for the government to single payer, no doubt (rhetorically speaking, at least).

I may be wrong but it seems to me that they are not dependent if they are buying the coverage.

Some are, but a lot of them are only to an extent or not at all. What one pays for coverage on the exchange depends on one’s household income. If it’s low enough, it’s free and with no deductibles. The last I knew, a family of four is subsidized up to about an $80,000 income with a declining subsidy the nearer one gets to that income level.

A lot of people covered through the exchanges are on Medicaid, for which they do not pay, or getting subsidies for the insurance they get.

Many were dependent on the government regulations that made it possible for them to buy insurance, some for the first time in their adult lives.

Pre-existing conditions such as asthma, you had whooping cough, you had cancer, you had high blood pressure, you took an antibiotic at some point in your life, you were in a car accident, you were(are) old etc, were reasons insurance companies might refuse to insure you.

Another one bites the dust. Hopefully, Trump and the Congress will be able to draft their new plan soon.

From my experience I’m not surprised. Insurance is a mess through the exchanges. Over the last few years I went through 2 insurance companies that left Obamacare.

In December of last year I decided to join a Christian Health Sharing plan. It is except from the ACA penalty and does not exclude those with pre-existing conditions. It works well for me and my beliefs.

There are other Christian Health plans, but if anyone else runs into the same problem I had, this is the group I j signed up with ~

chministries.org/default.aspx

He also promised not to leave people high and dry throughout the process.True to his word:thumbsup:

Not a surprise. Even though Obama established “risk corridors” for insurers.

forbes.com/sites/theapothecary/2016/11/21/a-taxpayer-bailout-of-obamacare-insurers-just-got-a-lot-more-expensive/#7c76af637495

What a mess,

Ed

But there is no public option in the ACA.

As predicted by those seeing no public option.

Oh my, the poor insurance companies they are almost bankrupt. The insurance company spinmeisters and lobbyists claiming losses everywhere! We’re going bankrupt! I mean the top 10% are only making $1.60 per share when they could be making $2-$3 bucks quarterly dividend by only insuring healthy people.

Kick out the people with preexisting conditions, deny, deny the claims of those who use our services, and on any claim approved kick the people out next enrollment period or raise their rates so they can’t afford to re-enroll. Profits over people! Oh by the way the insurance company thanks their congressional representative for all the tax loop holes so we can defer income and expense charges, and channel our profits to tax free offshore holding companies.

Humana Inc. on Wednesday reported its profit tumbled 46% in the first quarter of the year, hurt by costs related to the Aetna Inc.merger Blame it on Obamacare
Net Income**:eek:
2011 2012 2013 2014 2015
$1.42B $1.22B $1.23B $1.15B $1.28B

DIVIDEND YIELD
0.78%
Healthcare Average 0.92%
ANUALIZED PAYOUT
$1.60
Paid Quarterly
PAYOUT RATIO
14.9%
EPS $10.77
DIVIDEND GROWTH
6 yrs

I notice how they shroud the Affordable Care Act as Obamacare to get that racists element in there.

For all those people who claim “Right to Life”, I’m sure** you are outrage** by this since many men, women children, babies will die without basic medical coverage!

However from many posters on here who claim to be “Right to Life” will allow babies that were born and not aborted by legislation, to die because they have no access to food, clothing, housing, education, medical care because that would make them dependent on government, those free loaders! Or course, notwithstanding that research has shown that preventive medical care lowers health care costs! The burden to society will be more without adequate healthcare costs as more people will be able to work.

True Right to Life advocates will advocate Right to Life from cradle to grave according to the teachings of your church!

Jas 5:1-6 Now listen, you rich people, weep and wail because of the misery that is coming on you. Your wealth has rotted, and moths have eaten your clothes.Your gold and silver are corroded. Their corrosion will testify against you and eat your flesh like fire. You have hoarded wealth in the last days. Look! The wages you failed to pay the workers who mowed your fields are crying out against you. The cries of the harvesters have reached the ears of the Lord Almighty. You have lived on earth in luxury and self-indulgence. You have fattened yourselves in the day of slaughter. You have condemned and murdered the innocent one, who was not opposing you.

Kinda like DJT going bankrupt.

“Successfully” going bankrupt.

I had to thrown in the word “success” in there.

youtube.com/watch?v=BvaaeHP9xtQ

The headline doesn’t match the information in the article.

The article is about Humana terminating a merger with Aetna.

Jim

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.