Humerous Names Priests Give for Certain Catholics

A parish I once worked at, the Pastor would refer to the Christmas and Easter Mass Catholics as “Poinsettia and Lily Catholics”. :rolleyes:

The Franciscan priest that assisted on the weekends had some interesting names.

Pew Potatoes - They are the ones that stay seated in the pews from the moment they arrive until the moment they leave. They do not stand, kneel, or do anything else. Just sit, typically in the pews towards the rear of the church. Their purpose is to keep the pews intact, so they wouldn’t shift from all of the kneeling and standing. :stuck_out_tongue:

Wall Huggers - These are those big burly casually-dressed guys that stand along the back wall in the rear of the church, with feet wide apart and arms crossed over their chest. They don’t move from the moment the arrive, until they leave. Their purpose is to keep the church from collapsing by holding up the rear walls. :smiley:

That Franciscan was my confessor and spiritual director, with a degree in Psychology. He also had a wicked sense of humor. :eek:

I have heard about Cheesters

Try “A&P” Catholics: they come for ashes and palms.

In fairness, the pew potatoes could be non-Catholics who are there for their Catholic spouses and/or family.

How about the Carried, Married and Buried Catholics? Those who only show up in church for their baptism (carried), wedding (married) and their own funeral (buried).

These are all great :D, I think.:confused:

Kind of sad, if you really think about it, especially with this one,
“the punch my ticket” Catholic.
They go through the motions, but do not really grow in faith,
they are there merely out of obligation.

Our priest used a few different terms during Lent this year, although I can’t recall them at the moment. What stood out the most, though, was that he mentioned the Christmas-Easter crowed and then reminded everyone that Christ did a lot more than be born and die, so we really ought to show up every week and hear about it. I liked that but was a little uncomfortable on Palm Sunday when he told everyone to show up early the following week if they wanted to be sure to have a seat, but not to worry too much since it would be back to business as usual the week after.

When I was in RCIA the priest always warned us about “professional Catholics” - the kind of people that like correcting everyone else about what they’re supposedly doing wrong but really don’t know that much.

I tend to use the term “Chreaster” to those who only go to church on Christmas and Easter.

One priest referred those occasional Catholics as CEO - Christmas, Easter and Other occasions. :smiley:

Hatched, matched and dispatched!

:smiley:

www.cowsinpickuptrucks.blogspot.com

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.