Humility of Mary Day: Communities

July 17 is the feast of the Humility of Mary. There are two congregations named for such.

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sisters_of_the_Holy_Humility_of_Mary

Almost my entire life has been affected by the HM’s. They taught me in school, and then i worked for their hospital for 32 years, and I don’t live too far from the Villa Maria, which I have visited a few times. When I was young they wore the blue habit, and I noted the article stated the western sisters wore black, so I’m a little confused–they were definitely western and definitely blue.

Now they do not wear a habit at all–they wear a silver pin, though, and even the elderly ones that I know dress in regular clothes. But for some reason, I can always spot a Sister, even is street clothes. :smiley:

Carolyn, the “western” community is the one in Iowa. The two split in soon after the sisters came to the US. Part of the issue was ethnic; one group remained significantly French, while the other quickly became largely Irish.

Thank you for the memory. The PA site showed a sister in modified veil and blue habit. I’d only known of blue Humility habits, so the article could be wrong.

Thank you. I understand now.:slight_smile:

I noted that one of the deceased sisters looked to be in the old habit. However, I have not seen an HM sister in a habit for at least 25 years, even at the Villa, but then again I haven’t seen them all. There may be some older ones who still wear the habit, but I can’t say for sure.

Anyway, seeing the picture of the deceased Sister in her habit brought back some memories for me from my Catholic school days!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.